Sign in with
Your question

Advice on Server/High-end Workstation New Build

Last response: in Systems
August 16, 2012 4:58:02 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: as soon as possible

Budget Range: 500-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Math Computations, Read/Write to database.

Are you buying a monitor: No, no graphics processing is going to be done on the server

Do you need to buy OS: No, most likely running a generic linux server build (possibly ubuntu server)

Parts Preferences: Intel i7 or Xeon, 1 or more cores. ECC not necessary, but I would like to experiment with RAID0/RAID10/RAID01

Overclocking: No

Additional Comments: Was looking at rackmount servers and tower servers, but this is going to be in a 100sqft undivided living space where i will sleep.

- So it must be relatively quiet.

Can't control temperature either. This will be a testing server so production level quality and uptime is not an issue, but performance needs to be decent enough so it wont become a burden to develop.

- Also considering running a web server on this in the meantime.

August 16, 2012 5:22:28 PM

What apps do you intend to run on this server? How many users will access it?

This really looks like a fairly small build. As a thought, since you are sleeping in the room, check out this little HP server:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Not an i7/Xeon, but could meet your needs and budget. While out of stock now, I am sure you can find at other sites. Just a suggestion.
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:41:27 PM

Honestly you can just put together something in a small case, use a small board and put the i7 or whatever you're looking for. I'm guessing you will be doing everything through SSH after first setup?
m
l
October 30, 2012 7:48:30 PM

Contact me! I work whole sale with Servers. I can provide any server for any type of set up!
I would suggest with your space constraints, ThinClient. I can assist you and give you a really great price.

email me...
rachael@cheapdellservers.com
m
l
!