Advice on Server/High-end Workstation New Build

Approximate Purchase Date: as soon as possible

Budget Range: 500-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Math Computations, Read/Write to database.

Are you buying a monitor: No, no graphics processing is going to be done on the server

Do you need to buy OS: No, most likely running a generic linux server build (possibly ubuntu server)

Parts Preferences: Intel i7 or Xeon, 1 or more cores. ECC not necessary, but I would like to experiment with RAID0/RAID10/RAID01

Overclocking: No

Additional Comments: Was looking at rackmount servers and tower servers, but this is going to be in a 100sqft undivided living space where i will sleep.

- So it must be relatively quiet.

Can't control temperature either. This will be a testing server so production level quality and uptime is not an issue, but performance needs to be decent enough so it wont become a burden to develop.

- Also considering running a web server on this in the meantime.
3 answers Last reply
More about advice server high workstation build
  1. What apps do you intend to run on this server? How many users will access it?

This really looks like a fairly small build. As a thought, since you are sleeping in the room, check out this little HP server:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107052

Not an i7/Xeon, but could meet your needs and budget. While out of stock now, I am sure you can find at other sites. Just a suggestion.
  2. Honestly you can just put together something in a small case, use a small board and put the i7 or whatever you're looking for. I'm guessing you will be doing everything through SSH after first setup?
  3. Contact me! I work whole sale with Servers. I can provide any server for any type of set up!
    I would suggest with your space constraints, ThinClient. I can assist you and give you a really great price.

email me...
    rachael@cheapdellservers.com
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Servers Workstations New Build Systems Product