Sign in with
Your question

Do I need to RMA?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 27, 2012 1:55:09 PM

I need to know if I should RMA my EVGA gtx 470 graphics card. I have begun to notice while playing battlefield 3 after 1 or 2 hours that suddenly the screen freezes and everything goes this weird combination of colours, I think they're called artifacts. Anyway when this happens I need to ctr-alt-del and end the bf3 process. My card runs at normal temps nothing above 90 degrees C which is normal for the 400 series cards. I live in Australia and I bought the card about a year and a half ago. Should I send it back to EVGA or is this just a problem that can be fixed?

Thanks

More about : rma

a c 204 U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 4:10:30 PM

ThyEzekiel said:
I need to know if I should RMA my EVGA gtx 470 graphics card. I have begun to notice while playing battlefield 3 after 1 or 2 hours that suddenly the screen freezes and everything goes this weird combination of colours, I think they're called artifacts. Anyway when this happens I need to ctr-alt-del and end the bf3 process. My card runs at normal temps nothing above 90 degrees C which is normal for the 400 series cards. I live in Australia and I bought the card about a year and a half ago. Should I send it back to EVGA or is this just a problem that can be fixed?

Thanks

before you ram if you have a small case or a few fans..it could be that dusk build up in the case or fan. try cleaning the dust out and leave the side of the case open. if the card still locks up rma it. also check with msi afterburner that your fan is spinning up to speed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 4:28:11 PM

Is the video card overclocked? You can get serious artifacting from overclocks that are too aggressive. High overclocks combined with high temperatures will slowly degrade the GPU, and it will become less and less tolerant of overclocking as it ages. As a result, previously stable overclocks can start to overclock for no apparent reason.
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2012 12:33:47 AM

smorizio said:
before you ram if you have a small case or a few fans..it could be that dusk build up in the case or fan. try cleaning the dust out and leave the side of the case open. if the card still locks up rma it. also check with msi afterburner that your fan is spinning up to speed.

I have a mid tower case (cm elite 430) and 5 fans: 3 intake, 2 exhaust. I know for a fact the Fins on the gpu fan are covered in dust but they are impossible to reach with a cloth or something like that, should I use a compressed air can to spray out the dust?
m
l
June 28, 2012 12:40:57 AM

willard said:
Is the video card overclocked? You can get serious artifacting from overclocks that are too aggressive. High overclocks combined with high temperatures will slowly degrade the GPU, and it will become less and less tolerant of overclocking as it ages. As a result, previously stable overclocks can start to overclock for no apparent reason.

Well I have overclocked it in the past but only stable overclocks that other people had done (never just fiddled around myself) but I never used them for more than half an hour as I'm quite paranoid about the condition of my card. So basically haven't overclocked it, recently or drastically. I will mention one thing, this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever done but I never removed 2 rear I/o panel spaces thinking my card was a single panel card so for basically a year I was running the card with the exhaust grill blocked by the metal i/o covering on the back of my case. Although It didn't really affect temps as I was always in the 80 degree range, could this extra heat have damaged it?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 12:59:00 AM

Take a look at the graphics card, check if the vanes of the heatink are full of dust. Also check the capacitors on the board are they bulging if so RMA it.
m
l
!