Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my old HP PC

Last response: in Systems
August 16, 2012 6:01:46 PM

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The PC I want to upgrade.

I was thinking of the following upgrades for this to last about another year to year and a half.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SRQ214/ref=s9_si...

My motherboard should be able to use this processor with a BIOS update. How to do this?

Windows 7 64 bit to get 8gb RAM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DGS81C/ref=s9_si...

A AMD Radeon 6770 for £55 at PC World

And I am putting all this into an Antec 300 with XFX 650W i already own.

More about : upgrading

August 16, 2012 6:02:39 PM

And also explain how the upgrade version of Windows 7 works and if theres anything i have to do to install it because it is upgrade. And would it be worth my money?
August 16, 2012 6:31:36 PM

That CPU probably would not work in your Motherboard even with a BIOS upgrade. It is a 125 W maximum TDP and your motherboard only supports up to 95W CPU. It should support any 95W Phenom II CPU though.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b α HP
August 17, 2012 4:03:24 AM

HP says these are the only CPUs that work in your MB (they may be not correct, however unless you find someone who made it work, its a risk)

Processor upgrade information
Socket type: AM2+
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Phenom with Quad Core (Agena) technology (AM2+) up to 9600 (up to 95 watt)
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology X2 up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
Athlon 64 less than 4000+
Sempron less than 3800+

ref: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport...

You currently have an AMD Athlon X2 4450e, third tier from the bottom on this list: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... but still workable.

An upgrade to a Phenom X4 9600 would be huge for CPU. Thats as high as you can go. A Phenom X4 9600 is about $60 refurb on ebay, plus $5 for artic silver or other thermal paste to apply heatsink/fan. Make sure CPU comes with HSF, you do not want to reuse your current heat sink/fan.

You have 3GB of memory. That's close to the max a 32-bit OS can run (roughly 3.4GB), and is plenty for gaming. I would not buy more memory then upgrade to 64-bit windows.

Your current power supply is 300W. With the 95W max Phenom X4 9600 and the 300W PSU you can drop in an 80W (not overclocked) HD7770 video card ($130US) without swapping the PSU. The HD7770 limits overclock loads to 100W, so you might be able to do some overclocking too, but start with a stock clock card.

OR you can move all the parts plus the HD6770 to your new case with new PSU. But if you are doing that go get a $50 H61 based motherboard, an i3-2100 ($110) and 4GB DDR3 instead of upgrading the CPU in your current system. You can transfer your vista system to the new MB, but you cannot then keep running your copy of vista on your old system.

edit: if you do put a new CPU in your MB, make sure the BIOS is current BEFORE you swap CPUs. It might need a newer BIOS to run, and you can't load a new BIOS with the new CPU if the PC cant run the new CPU.
a b α HP
August 17, 2012 4:19:02 AM

ryanwyvill1 said:
And also explain how the upgrade version of Windows 7 works and if theres anything i have to do to install it because it is upgrade. And would it be worth my money?

To upgrade from vista to win7 and stay 32-bit you simply boot vista, put the upgrade win7 disk in the DVD drive and run an in-place upgrade. Windows will keep your current programs but will be 32-bit.

To upgrade from vista 32-bit to win7 64-bit you need to wipe the disk. You boot vista, put the disk in the DVD drive and then do a 'custom install' and select 64-bit. But backup everything first, because this is going to end up with a totally clean install. then you download any drivers you want from HP, run windows update like 17 times and you are set.

Windows8 is due out Oct 26. Look at staying on vista or skipping to win8. I have both vista and win7 on different PCs, and I would not move from vista to win7.
a b α HP
August 17, 2012 4:27:30 AM

Final aside. I have a netbook with AMD fusion E-450 processor. Passmark for your CPU (4450e) is 1196. Passmark for my brazos fusion processor is only 734. With the right video card even your existing CPU can game. You might want to upgrade video first then decide if you want to touch the CPU.
August 17, 2012 9:50:28 AM

Wow, thanks a lot, I think i shall put all the parts in the new case and get a 6770 but I am just wondering is it possible to overclock the 6770 or the CPU (only the tiniest bit). Is there software needed to do this or will it come with the video card.
a b α HP
August 17, 2012 7:39:29 PM

ryanwyvill1 said:
Wow, thanks a lot, I think i shall put all the parts in the new case and get a 6770 but I am just wondering is it possible to overclock the 6770 or the CPU (only the tiniest bit). Is there software needed to do this or will it come with the video card.

The CPU is not overclockable on your MB, the HP bios doesn't give you the tools. (there are some programs like SETFSB that do give you the option, read a bit about them before you decide to try it. AMD processors are generally overclockable, and your current processor is not stressing the MB's power output. Overclocking draws extra power to CPU). I'd skip trying to OC the CPU.

The HD 6770 is meant to be overclocked. Definitely play with it. The standard AMD/ATI device driver has built in overclocking (called overdrive). You access by clicking on the picture of a lock on the overdrive tab in the driver. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvNhemq0HDM Maybe easier it to download an overclocking tool from whoever made your video card.
August 17, 2012 8:15:59 PM

Will my processor be a big bottleneck for the 6770 as that was one of my main concerns?
a b α HP
August 18, 2012 12:30:27 AM

ryanwyvill1 said:
Will my processor be a big bottleneck for the 6770 as that was one of my main concerns?

At parts of some games you will definitely run out of CPU. However the 6770 will give you better play in all cases than not having the hd6770. And if you do get a stronger CPU you can carry the 6770 forward. I would definitely upgrade video to something you can use for two/three years like hd6770 then see if you have enough CPU. If not then fix the CPU then.
August 18, 2012 7:43:08 PM

I bought everything today but bought a 550ti instead of 6770 as only £5 more expensive. I put everything in the new case without a hitch, kept myself grounded etc. I turn it on and it sounds good fans spinning, light on the cd drive and the power button. About 5 seconds into startup it comes out with this;

"ERROR: CPU Fan has failed

PC will automatically power down in a few seconds.
Service PC immediately to prevent damage to CPU."

Is this just a case of new cooler or should i really get it serviced?
a b α HP
August 19, 2012 3:28:39 PM

"I bought everything today" Did you get new CPU or just new video card and PSU?

IF you didn't install a new CPU/Cooler...

Sometimes stray power wires can block the CPU fan from turning. Open your case. Find the CPU heatsink+ fan. Leave the case open. Power up. Is the CPU fan spinning?

If cpu fan is spinning and you still get the message then (1) follow the wire from the CPU fan to the MB and make sure the wire is firmly seated. The power wire for the fan also carries the fan RPM value read by the MB. Then (2) Reset the BIOS to defaults, SAVE and boot. Post if the problem is still there are you can see the CPU fan spinning.

If CPU fan is not spinning then turn it by hand. See if anything is binding. Follow power wire and see if you knocked it off by accident while installing the other parts. If CPU fan is plugged in correctly to CPU fan header and turns freely and will not power up then look for a free fan header and (for debugging) plug cpu fan into the other fan header. Does the CPU fan work? If so try again in CPU fan header. If not then fan is broken, this is generally a simple replace of just the fan which is cheap.

If you got a new CPU ...

Do you have the new CPU cooler fan plugged into the CPU fan header on MB, or different fan header? If a new heatsink/fan can you check specs to ensure the fan report RPM? - i think they all do. Usually the CPU fan has 4 pins, with pin4 being fan control and pin 3 being rpm reporting. If you havev a fixed speed CPU fan it will only have 3 pins and need to go on pins 1,2,3 on the cpu fan header, with pin4 open.

Not sure if the auto power down gives you time to go into BIOS and see if there is a panel that monitors system temps and fan speeds. (Some BIOS have them, some don't).

A MB that you buy yourself has a option to ignore CPU fan monitoring in case you buy a fixed speed CPU fan. I don't know if an OEM (HP) would expose that option in the BIOS because they know the fan they ship allows monitoring speeds.
August 19, 2012 3:52:17 PM

just gpu and psu, doesn't even let me open up bios, the cpu fan spins just louder than usual
a b α HP
August 19, 2012 4:27:51 PM

" the cpu fan spins just louder than usual "

probably because the MB cannot read the RPM and is defaulting to full speed for safety. Remove the wire from the motherboard and reseat. See if that helps. Sounds like the MB is not reading the fan RPM correctly
a b α HP
August 19, 2012 9:53:21 PM

ryanwyvill1 said:
reseat?

sorry for jargon. Reseating a connector means removing it and then putting it back in the same place. You do it if you suspect the connection has a problem. Typical usage is "reseat the cpu fan connector" meaning unplug the connector and then plug it back in again. If you google you'll see references to "reseating memory" "reseating video cards" etc.

I was thinking the RPM pin in the CPU fan connector (pin 3) might not be making good contact, and that by reseating it the motherboard might again be able to read the CPU fan RPM.
August 20, 2012 10:23:38 AM

ok sooo when i turned it on i went into system recovery, im going to wipe the disk, install some cpu temps and fan software check the everything is ok and then i've heard that you can disable the fan check in the bios.
August 20, 2012 10:52:18 AM

What are some good reliable cpu temperature monitors and fan monitoring software
a b α HP
August 21, 2012 1:12:24 AM

ryanwyvill1 said:
What are some good reliable cpu temperature monitors and fan monitoring software

HWMONITOR freeware by CPUID
SPEEDFAN

a b α HP
August 21, 2012 1:16:04 AM

ryanwyvill1 said:
ok sooo when i turned it on i went into system recovery, im going to wipe the disk, install some cpu temps and fan software check the everything is ok and then i've heard that you can disable the fan check in the bios.

How did you get into recovery??? earlier you said "doesn't even let me open up bios" and gave a BIOS message for CPU fan failed. Did something change ?

August 22, 2012 10:02:49 AM

i dunno i tried getting into bios but that didn't happen and then i just tried all the other options and system recovery worked
!