changing the height of the WinXP Title Bars?

June 9, 2005 11:41:03 AM

Is there a way to adjust the default height of the Windaws XP title bars in
individual/all windows?

I just moved from Win2000 and the wasted real estate in the task bars really
bugs me. I even had to resize the height of the command window from 62 to 61
lines to accommodate the empty space...
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:19:16 AM

Alter the Active Title Bar and Inactive Title Bar items values.

Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310543/

I have mine set to 20.

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to adjust the default height of the Windaws XP title bars
> in
> individual/all windows?
>
> I just moved from Win2000 and the wasted real estate in the task bars
> really
> bugs me. I even had to resize the height of the command window from 62 to
> 61
> lines to accommodate the empty space...
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:19:17 AM

Wonderful! Thanks, Ramesh.

z.entropic

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Alter the Active Title Bar and Inactive Title Bar items values.
>
> Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310543/
>
> I have mine set to 20.
>
> --
> Ramesh Srinivasan
> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to adjust the default height of the Windaws XP title bars
> > in
> > individual/all windows?
> >
> > I just moved from Win2000 and the wasted real estate in the task bars
> > really
> > bugs me. I even had to resize the height of the command window from 62 to
> > 61
> > lines to accommodate the empty space...

June 10, 2005 1:49:44 AM

You're welcome.

--

> Wonderful! Thanks, Ramesh.
>
> z.entropic
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Alter the Active Title Bar and Inactive Title Bar items values.
>>
>> Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310543/
>>
>> I have mine set to 20.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh Srinivasan
>> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to adjust the default height of the Windaws XP title
>> > bars
>> > in
>> > individual/all windows?
>> >
>> > I just moved from Win2000 and the wasted real estate in the task bars
>> > really
>> > bugs me. I even had to resize the height of the command window from 62
>> > 61
>> > lines to accommodate the empty space...

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:49:45 AM

Ha! I found a little problem--I can't change the Task Bar's height that way
as it is not listed on the menu you mentioned. Nor could I find its
customization/advanced controls anywhere else I've looked...

Also, when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop,
the icons on the task bar were rescaled, too, to a very small size and now
they sit on top of each other.

Any ideas about how to fix this linked behavior and the TaskBar height?

z.entropic

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> You're welcome.
>
> --
> Ramesh Srinivasan
> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Wonderful! Thanks, Ramesh.
> >
> > z.entropic
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Alter the Active Title Bar and Inactive Title Bar items values.
> >>
> >> Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310543/
> >>
> >> I have mine set to 20.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh Srinivasan
> >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
> >>
> >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> >> http://www.winhelponline.com
> >>
> >> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:48:33 AM

You can set the Taskbar height by unlocking and dragging the border.

>> when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop

The default icon size is 32. See if resetting the default value helps. If
not post a screen-capture.

--

> Ha! I found a little problem--I can't change the Task Bar's height that
> way
> as it is not listed on the menu you mentioned. Nor could I find its
> customization/advanced controls anywhere else I've looked...
>
> Also, when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop,
> the icons on the task bar were rescaled, too, to a very small size and now
> they sit on top of each other.
>
> Any ideas about how to fix this linked behavior and the TaskBar height?
>
> z.entropic
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> You're welcome.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh Srinivasan
>> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Wonderful! Thanks, Ramesh.
>> >
>> > z.entropic

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:48:34 AM

I had in mind a fine-step control over the height of the Task Bar, not
line-by-line.

I changed the icon size to the default 32 (from 26) which messed up my
desktop icon layout completely (it's known problem, I guess, but some
utilities I tried to use to save the layout, were creating an even greater
mess...); the tiny icons on the task bar have not resized themseves--maybe
after reboot...

Too bad MSFT did not include the task bar control to the same degree they
did with icons and title bar...

z.entropic

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> You can set the Taskbar height by unlocking and dragging the border.
>
> >> when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop
>
> The default icon size is 32. See if resetting the default value helps. If
> not post a screen-capture.
>
> --
> Ramesh Srinivasan
> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ha! I found a little problem--I can't change the Task Bar's height that
> > way
> > as it is not listed on the menu you mentioned. Nor could I find its
> > customization/advanced controls anywhere else I've looked...
> >
> > Also, when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop,
> > the icons on the task bar were rescaled, too, to a very small size and now
> > they sit on top of each other.
> >
> > Any ideas about how to fix this linked behavior and the TaskBar height?
> >
> > z.entropic
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> You're welcome.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh Srinivasan
> >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
> >>
> >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> >> http://www.winhelponline.com
> >>
> >> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:57:55 PM

There is a whole pile of interelated settings. Try caption buttons.

"z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0227FBA-12F5-4EDF-8049-0FCD6F761397@microsoft.com...
> I had in mind a fine-step control over the height of the Task Bar, not
> line-by-line.
>
> I changed the icon size to the default 32 (from 26) which messed up my
> desktop icon layout completely (it's known problem, I guess, but some
> utilities I tried to use to save the layout, were creating an even greater
> mess...); the tiny icons on the task bar have not resized themseves--maybe
> after reboot...
>
> Too bad MSFT did not include the task bar control to the same degree they
> did with icons and title bar...
>
> z.entropic
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > You can set the Taskbar height by unlocking and dragging the border.

> > The default icon size is 32. See if resetting the default value helps. If
> > not post a screen-capture.
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh Srinivasan
> > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
> >
> > Windows XP Troubleshooting
> > http://www.winhelponline.com
> >
> > "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Ha! I found a little problem--I can't change the Task Bar's height that
> > > way
> > > as it is not listed on the menu you mentioned. Nor could I find its
> > > customization/advanced controls anywhere else I've looked...
> > >
> > > Also, when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop,
> > > the icons on the task bar were rescaled, too, to a very small size and now
> > > they sit on top of each other.
> > >
> > > Any ideas about how to fix this linked behavior and the TaskBar height?
> > >
> > > z.entropic

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:18:05 PM

"David Candy" wrote:

> There is a whole pile of interelated settings. Try caption buttons.

Yes, but none of them change the size of my taskbar super-mini icons. I've
tried removing them and putting back, dragging over new ones--nothing. I
need a magnifying glass to see all those 5 pixels! ;-). My regular isons are
set to 32 pixels (768x1-24 screen).

z.entropic

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0227FBA-12F5-4EDF-8049-0FCD6F761397@microsoft.com...
> > I had in mind a fine-step control over the height of the Task Bar, not
> > line-by-line.
> >
> > I changed the icon size to the default 32 (from 26) which messed up my
> > desktop icon layout completely (it's known problem, I guess, but some
> > utilities I tried to use to save the layout, were creating an even greater
> > mess...); the tiny icons on the task bar have not resized themseves--maybe
> > after reboot...
> >
> > Too bad MSFT did not include the task bar control to the same degree they
> > did with icons and title bar...
> >
> > z.entropic
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > You can set the Taskbar height by unlocking and dragging the border.

> > > The default icon size is 32. See if resetting the default value helps. If
> > > not post a screen-capture.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ramesh Srinivasan
> > > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
> > >
> > > Windows XP Troubleshooting
> > > http://www.winhelponline.com
> > >
> > > "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:42:51 PM

Yes they do. But Windows tries to fix stupid settings. Go back to the known settings from the themes tab and try customising again.

!