changing the height of the WinXP Title Bars?

Is there a way to adjust the default height of the Windaws XP title bars in
individual/all windows?

I just moved from Win2000 and the wasted real estate in the task bars really
bugs me. I even had to resize the height of the command window from 62 to 61
lines to accommodate the empty space...
9 answers Last reply
More about changing height winxp title bars

    Alter the Active Title Bar and Inactive Title Bar items values.

    Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310543/

    I have mine set to 20.

    --
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MS-MVP, Windows Shell

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to adjust the default height of the Windaws XP title bars
    > in
    > individual/all windows?
    >
    > I just moved from Win2000 and the wasted real estate in the task bars
    > really
    > bugs me. I even had to resize the height of the command window from 62 to
    > 61
    > lines to accommodate the empty space...

    Wonderful! Thanks, Ramesh.

    z.entropic

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Alter the Active Title Bar and Inactive Title Bar items values.
    >
    > Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310543/
    >
    > I have mine set to 20.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there a way to adjust the default height of the Windaws XP title bars
    > > in
    > > individual/all windows?
    > >
    > > I just moved from Win2000 and the wasted real estate in the task bars
    > > really
    > > bugs me. I even had to resize the height of the command window from 62 to
    > > 61
    > > lines to accommodate the empty space...

    You're welcome.

    --

    > Wonderful! Thanks, Ramesh.
    >
    > z.entropic
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Alter the Active Title Bar and Inactive Title Bar items values.
    >>
    >> Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310543/
    >>
    >> I have mine set to 20.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>
    >> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there a way to adjust the default height of the Windaws XP title
    >> > bars
    >> > in
    >> > individual/all windows?
    >> >
    >> > I just moved from Win2000 and the wasted real estate in the task bars
    >> > really
    >> > bugs me. I even had to resize the height of the command window from 62
    >> > 61
    >> > lines to accommodate the empty space...

    Ha! I found a little problem--I can't change the Task Bar's height that way
    as it is not listed on the menu you mentioned. Nor could I find its
    customization/advanced controls anywhere else I've looked...

    Also, when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop,
    the icons on the task bar were rescaled, too, to a very small size and now
    they sit on top of each other.

    Any ideas about how to fix this linked behavior and the TaskBar height?

    z.entropic

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Wonderful! Thanks, Ramesh.
    > >
    > > z.entropic
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Alter the Active Title Bar and Inactive Title Bar items values.
    > >>
    > >> Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310543/
    > >>
    > >> I have mine set to 20.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    > >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    > >>
    > >> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You can set the Taskbar height by unlocking and dragging the border.

    >> when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop

    The default icon size is 32. See if resetting the default value helps. If
    not post a screen-capture.

    --

    > Ha! I found a little problem--I can't change the Task Bar's height that
    > way
    > as it is not listed on the menu you mentioned. Nor could I find its
    > customization/advanced controls anywhere else I've looked...
    >
    > Also, when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop,
    > the icons on the task bar were rescaled, too, to a very small size and now
    > they sit on top of each other.
    >
    > Any ideas about how to fix this linked behavior and the TaskBar height?
    >
    > z.entropic
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> You're welcome.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>
    >> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Wonderful! Thanks, Ramesh.
    >> >
    >> > z.entropic

    I had in mind a fine-step control over the height of the Task Bar, not
    line-by-line.

    I changed the icon size to the default 32 (from 26) which messed up my
    desktop icon layout completely (it's known problem, I guess, but some
    utilities I tried to use to save the layout, were creating an even greater
    mess...); the tiny icons on the task bar have not resized themseves--maybe
    after reboot...

    Too bad MSFT did not include the task bar control to the same degree they
    did with icons and title bar...

    z.entropic

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > You can set the Taskbar height by unlocking and dragging the border.
    >
    > >> when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop
    >
    > The default icon size is 32. See if resetting the default value helps. If
    > not post a screen-capture.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Ha! I found a little problem--I can't change the Task Bar's height that
    > > way
    > > as it is not listed on the menu you mentioned. Nor could I find its
    > > customization/advanced controls anywhere else I've looked...
    > >
    > > Also, when I changed the size and spacing of all my icons on the Desktop,
    > > the icons on the task bar were rescaled, too, to a very small size and now
    > > they sit on top of each other.
    > >
    > > Any ideas about how to fix this linked behavior and the TaskBar height?
    > >
    > > z.entropic
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You're welcome.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    > >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    > >>
    > >> "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    There is a whole pile of interelated settings. Try caption buttons.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > There is a whole pile of interelated settings. Try caption buttons.

    Yes, but none of them change the size of my taskbar super-mini icons. I've
    tried removing them and putting back, dragging over new ones--nothing. I
    need a magnifying glass to see all those 5 pixels! ;-). My regular isons are
    set to 32 pixels (768x1-24 screen).

    z.entropic

    > "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0227FBA-12F5-4EDF-8049-0FCD6F761397@microsoft.com...
    > > I had in mind a fine-step control over the height of the Task Bar, not
    > > line-by-line.
    > >
    > > I changed the icon size to the default 32 (from 26) which messed up my
    > > desktop icon layout completely (it's known problem, I guess, but some
    > > utilities I tried to use to save the layout, were creating an even greater
    > > mess...); the tiny icons on the task bar have not resized themseves--maybe
    > > after reboot...
    > >
    > > Too bad MSFT did not include the task bar control to the same degree they
    > > did with icons and title bar...
    > >
    > > z.entropic
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You can set the Taskbar height by unlocking and dragging the border.

    > > > The default icon size is 32. See if resetting the default value helps. If
    > > > not post a screen-capture.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > > > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    > > >
    > > > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > > > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > > >
    > > > "z.entropic" <zentropic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Yes they do. But Windows tries to fix stupid settings. Go back to the known settings from the themes tab and try customising again.

Configuration Customization Windows XP