What's up Nikon?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 5, 2005 2:42:57 AM

Hey, where is my D200? I know Coolpix cameras are cool. But what about
something that actually comes closer to Canon's new DSLRs? - Hello???? - I
know that it takes over four to six months after the announcement until we
can get one. So, go ahead and announce it! - Are you Nikon guys reading
this? -Probably not ;-(

Gregor

More about : nikon

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:42:58 AM

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:42:57 GMT, GTO <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Hey, where is my D200? I know Coolpix cameras are cool. But what about
>something that actually comes closer to Canon's new DSLRs? - Hello???? - I
>know that it takes over four to six months after the announcement until we
>can get one. So, go ahead and announce it!

Maybe soon? Following announcement dates at dpreview:

01-Sep-05
18-May-05
20-Apr-05
16-Mar-05
16-Feb-05
16-Sep-04
28-May-04
12-Feb-04
28-Jan-04
08-Jan-04
28-Oct-03
22-Jul-03
etc.

They sometimes make announcements only a few weeks apart.

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:42:58 AM

Don Wiss wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:42:57 GMT, GTO <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey, where is my D200? I know Coolpix cameras are cool. But what about
> >something that actually comes closer to Canon's new DSLRs? - Hello???? - I
> >know that it takes over four to six months after the announcement until we
> >can get one. So, go ahead and announce it!
>
> Maybe soon? Following announcement dates at dpreview:
>
> 01-Sep-05
> 18-May-05
> 20-Apr-05
> 16-Mar-05
> 16-Feb-05
> 16-Sep-04
> 28-May-04
> 12-Feb-04
> 28-Jan-04
> 08-Jan-04
> 28-Oct-03
> 22-Jul-03
> etc.
>
> They sometimes make announcements only a few weeks apart.

And Nikon USA's press release site:

http://www.prnewswire.com/micro/NIKON

There is also much discussion about it at nikonians.org in the products
forum.

Ben
Related resources
September 5, 2005 2:42:58 AM

"GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey, where is my D200? I know Coolpix cameras are cool. But what about
> something that actually comes closer to Canon's new DSLRs? - Hello???? - I
> know that it takes over four to six months after the announcement until we
> can get one. So, go ahead and announce it! - Are you Nikon guys reading
> this? -Probably not ;-(

Except P&S cameras sell better and have more profit at 10% than a D200 or
20D do.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:50:34 AM

On 9/4/05 5:42 PM, in article RLKSe.129$LZ6.24@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net,
"GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey, where is my D200? I know Coolpix cameras are cool. But what about
> something that actually comes closer to Canon's new DSLRs? - Hello???? - I
> know that it takes over four to six months after the announcement until we
> can get one. So, go ahead and announce it! - Are you Nikon guys reading
> this? -Probably not ;-(
>
> Gregor

Probably time to switch.

George

September 5, 2005 4:47:08 AM

"GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey, where is my D200? I know Coolpix cameras are cool. But what about
> something that actually comes closer to Canon's new DSLRs? - Hello???? - I
> know that it takes over four to six months after the announcement until we
> can get one. So, go ahead and announce it! - Are you Nikon guys reading
> this? -Probably not ;-(
>
> Gregor

http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/reviews/nikon/nik...
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:30:04 AM

In article <FbCdnSao-uUmBobeRVn-jw@rogers.com>, spam@this.eh says...
> Except P&S cameras sell better and have more profit at 10% than a D200 or
> 20D do.

Not any more.

DSLRs are the big money makers for both Nikon and Canon. The point and
shoot market is a cutthroat race to the bottom with margins falling for
all manufacturers.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

Hmm, according the news (e.g.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050808/bs_nm/tech_japan_ni...), Nikon made a
ton of money with their DSLRs and lenses.

Gregor

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message

> "GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hey, where is my D200? I know Coolpix cameras are cool. But what about
>> something that actually comes closer to Canon's new DSLRs? - Hello???? -
>> I know that it takes over four to six months after the announcement until
>> we can get one. So, go ahead and announce it! - Are you Nikon guys
>> reading this? -Probably not ;-(
>>
> Except P&S cameras sell better and have more profit at 10% than a D200 or
> 20D do.

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:24:37 AM

In article <MzQSe.287$zq6.277@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com says...
> Hmm, according the news (e.g.
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050808/bs_nm/tech_japan_ni...), Nikon made a
> ton of money with their DSLRs and lenses.
>
> Gregor

The D70 has been a very strong camera for them. In fact, I wouldn't
hesitate to say the D70 was the one camera that kept Nikon in the DSLR
game.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
September 5, 2005 3:38:51 PM

"Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
> In article <FbCdnSao-uUmBobeRVn-jw@rogers.com>, spam@this.eh says...
>> Except P&S cameras sell better and have more profit at 10% than a D200 or
>> 20D do.
>
> Not any more.
>
> DSLRs are the big money makers for both Nikon and Canon. The point and
> shoot market is a cutthroat race to the bottom with margins falling for
> all manufacturers.
> --
Not according to PMA stats. The sub $1000 dSLR market is growing but P&S are
still out selling. Locally (Canada) all dSLR prices were just slashed by
$100 to generate sales.
September 5, 2005 3:40:33 PM

Pretty much a 10% margin on all digital cameras, regardless of dSLR or P&S
on the retail level.

"Churchill, Dave" <david_j_churchill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I noticed a posting here about profit margins of DSLRs as opposed to
>point-and-shoot cameras and which type had better profit margins. I didn't
>see any discussion of what may be another angle - when you buy a P&S
>camera, you are pretty much through buying accessories for it except maybe
>batteries or different charger. But a new DSLR often sets off a whole new
>round of spending - lenses, flashes, tripods, computer software, maybe even
>new computer. I think Canon has been very, very smart in its continued
>introduction of new DSLR models. What do you think has happened to their
>sales of new lenses and flashes the past few years?
>
> "GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hey, where is my D200? I know Coolpix cameras are cool. But what about
>> something that actually comes closer to Canon's new DSLRs? - Hello???? -
>> I know that it takes over four to six months after the announcement until
>> we can get one. So, go ahead and announce it! - Are you Nikon guys
>> reading this? -Probably not ;-(
>>
>> Gregor

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:09:27 PM

In article <o8GdnbedipUF-4HeRVn-uw@rogers.com>, spam@this.eh says...
> Not according to PMA stats. The sub $1000 dSLR market is growing but P&S are
> still out selling. Locally (Canada) all dSLR prices were just slashed by
> $100 to generate sales.

I'm talking margins, not sales numbers. Of course P&S cameras outsell
DSLRs. But are they more profitable? Not for Nikon.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
September 6, 2005 4:52:07 AM

"Churchill, Dave" <david_j_churchill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I noticed a posting here about profit margins of DSLRs as opposed to
> point-and-shoot cameras and which type had better profit margins. I
didn't
> see any discussion of what may be another angle - when you buy a P&S
camera,
> you are pretty much through buying accessories for it except maybe
batteries
> or different charger.

just looking at what I have spent on my p&s (panasonic fz3) in the 12 months
since I bought it :-

- 1.7x teleconvertor
- alternative lens housing to take the tc
- new lens hood to fit new lens housing
- tripod & head
- optech tripod strap (best investment of the lot!)
- polariser
- cokin holder and gnd
- 1 gb sd card
- spare battery
- adobe pse3

Total accessory cost > camera cost

However none of the accessory $'s went to panasonic. Not 1c, wheras
canon/nikon will get $ out of lens & flash sales so your point is valid. I
just wanted to point out that p&s spending doesn't stop with the camera :)

Tony

!