Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible to change Power Supply unit & GPX for Lenovo H420 PC ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 27, 2012 3:41:39 PM

System :

*Lenovo H420
*O/S- Windows 7 64 bits
*Pentium Dual Core G630 @ 2.70 Ghz
*6 GB - DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-10600
*500 GB Western Digital Caviar Blue ATA (Main)
*80 GB Maxtor 6Y080MO (2nd HDD)
*Nvidia GeForce GT 520(OEM).....doesn't seem to have DVI port as advertised
*19" Dell LCD 1905FP (has both VGA & DVI-D connection ports)

Recently I bought the above system as my previous old Dell system (Dimension 8400) blew up (either MB or Chip)..it was 6 yrs old though.
A few months prior to it's demise, I changed the Graphics Card to a XFX Nividia GeForce GT 240 card, which worked a treat. I had a 350w PS

Unfortunately I hurriedly bought a budget replacement system without going into fine details of all the specs. of this system. Having had time to look at things, I noticed some weaknesses---->

a) The Power Supply is only 280 w
b) was pre-installed with a Nividia GeForce GT 520...which to my mind is not as good as the GT 240
c) My Dell Monitor, which i'm still using (trying to save some money) has not upgraded it's driver for Win 7 64-bit....I can't even locate a Vista related driver. Needless to say the system has installed the Monitor as a Generic non-PnP Monitor.

I don't think I can install my old but superior GT 240 card into the PCI-e slot...as the unit looks too long to fit. I'm sure the fan unit will bang into parts of the Motherboard as you can see the photo http://www.openprice.com/img/p/4/4/6/2/4462-large.jpg

...compared the Graphics card i have installed now.
http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/wp-content/uploads/...

In fact the that GT520 photo is a bit different to the Gpx card I have connected, as my one is single slot width and i don't have the DVI connection, just the VGA & HDMI ....the one in photo is Double slot and has both VGA & DVI plus HDMI !!!

....so finally my 2 questions :

1) is it possible to upgrade the Power Supply unit for the H420 from the default 280 W to say to a 400 W one? I noticed the fan on my PS unit is at the end panel next to power outlet socket.....most decent PS units (like Corsair) seem to have their fans on the side face....blowing or extracting inside the PC !! I've seen a Corsair 430w one that looks pretty decent

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupp...

2) If I cannot upgrade the PSU, what is the best performing Graphics Card that I can use in this system? It was pre-installed with a NVIDEA GeForce GT 520, which isn't the best around. Bare in mind the length of that card is 5.7 ins (145 mm) and height is 2.7 ins (70mm) and single width slot, although i'm sure i can get double width in there.

****Note : When looking at the back of my PC, the current PSU has power outlet socket in bottom left corner of the unit. I noticed the Corsair one would end up being top left..if the fan side is facing the inside of PC as opposed to cabinet casing. Would this be an issue?
June 27, 2012 4:04:41 PM

1. yes you can upgrade your psu... to a 400w or greater

you should have no issues with the power outlet.
June 27, 2012 4:13:40 PM

daysyang said:
1. yes you can upgrade your psu... to a 400w or greater

you should have no issues with the power outlet.

Thanks for reply!

Are there any limitations?
I don't want to stick a Rolls Royce engine into a Mini so to speak.....are there any restrictions on the Motherboard as to what Power supply I can safely use.? Moving up from 280w to 430w would not be too a big a hike I guess
Related resources
June 27, 2012 4:40:20 PM

There are no restrictions on moving from 280w to 400w+, it is safe. Just be sure to get a reputable psu (seasonic, antec, corsair, etc) and not a cheap no name brand. The wattage will depend on your vga card of course. In fact actually replace my nephews Lenovo IdeaCentre desktop from best buy psu (same 280w) with a antec 450 vp... and added a better graphics card so he could play his games. So you should be good putting that corsair 430 in.
June 27, 2012 4:48:38 PM

daysyang said:

The wattage will depend on your vga card of course. .

Didn't quite understand that part....not a techie! :p  Could you elaborate?

Any clues as to adequate Graphics card...either with existing PSU ro with an upgraded 430w one? Take a note of dimensions in my 1st post. I have PCI-e slot.
June 27, 2012 4:55:36 PM

wattage for instance your nvida gt240 states that it only needs 300w to run... so basically you only need a psu with minimum of 300w+, if you get geforce gtx 680 it states that you need a minimum of 550w... so of course you would want a psu of 550w+ psu.
June 27, 2012 5:00:21 PM

daysyang said:
wattage for instance your nvida gt240 states that it only needs 300w to run... so basically you only need a psu with minimum of 300w+, if you get geforce gtx 680 it states that you need a minimum of 550w... so of course you would want a psu of 550w+ psu.

Ah yes, I got that part!
June 27, 2012 5:00:22 PM

on vga card it really depends on your need for upgrade... games, software, etc... upgrade accordingly to want you want to use and can afford.
June 27, 2012 5:07:20 PM

daysyang said:
on vga card it really depends on your need for upgrade... games, software, etc... upgrade accordingly to want you want to use and can afford.

I'm not a Gamer....its mainly for Internet browsing, watching some online TV channels & Movies, maybe playing some music....and playign a low-end online MMOG platform game (not WoW) which doesn't require super fast frame rates. I might use Photoshop and Poser 7 programs to develop some content for the MMOG platform.

i think i could get away with a 280w PSU for a minimally required 300w Graphics Card because of the way i use my PC.
June 27, 2012 5:19:22 PM

you could do with the 280w psu... if you ever decide to upgrade you have the option.
!