Sign in with
Your question

Help Please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 27, 2012 4:42:17 PM

So i am build a gaming PC my total spending would be about $900.

I have 2 choices for video cards either go with

GTX 460 sli

or

GTX 480 sli

which would u pick and also The power supply i am going with is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i choose it because of the PRICE, the total WATTS, and the 60 AMP

just wanna know will it work with either setep or not

More about : question

a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 5:02:30 PM

1. Be suspicious of cheap, high wattage PSUs. They tend to fail.
2. No, you can't run 480s in SLI with a 775W PSU.
3. A pair of GTX 460s draws about as much power as a GTX 480, so it would be fine.
4. SLI with old, underpowered cards is generally not a great idea. Better to spend the money on a single, newer card. Uses less power, fewer driver problems, no microstuttering and better upgradeability.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 27, 2012 5:53:42 PM

willard said:
1. Be suspicious of cheap, high wattage PSUs. They tend to fail.
2. No, you can't run 480s in SLI with a 775W PSU.
3. A pair of GTX 460s draws about as much power as a GTX 480, so it would be fine.
4. SLI with old, underpowered cards is generally not a great idea. Better to spend the money on a single, newer card. Uses less power, fewer driver problems, no microstuttering and better upgradeability.

Sorry to stray off topic... but thats one hell of an overclock, what cooling did you use ??
m
l
Related resources
a c 193 U Graphics card
a c 121 ) Power supply
June 27, 2012 6:12:52 PM

NO!!!!!
Diablotek makes PSU-shaped objects that should never be attached to computer equipment if there is any possibility they will be plugged into an A/C power source at the same time. I've never read a competent technical review of one that didn't blow up, well under it's labeled load.
A good PSU is vital to the health and stability of your system. This is not the place to skimp. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. NEW (but not old) Rosewill and FSP are also decent. Apevia, Logisys, Diablotek, and Crappermaster (Coolermaster) are not.
For a resolution of 1920x1080, I would suggest that a single HD7870 would be all you need to max most games, and it would use a lot less power than either SLI setup you proposed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 6:55:08 PM

ulysses35 said:
Sorry to stray off topic... but thats one hell of an overclock, what cooling did you use ??

A Hyper 212+ with a pair of Couger 120mm fans on it. It's way too hot at that OC (and in fact, 5.1 is even too hot). I need better cooling to actually run at that temp.

Been running it at 4.7 GHz @ 1.375v for about a month now with no issues. Nice and cool. Will be building a liquid cooling loop soon to really see what this thing can do.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 7:01:07 PM

+1 to both the above. Get a quality PSU (jt283 list is good, imo seasonic being the top of the list) and a single modern card (GTX 670 or an HD78_0), with a single card I would expect a solid 500w psu to be plenty, but double check with whatever card you go with.
m
l
June 27, 2012 7:32:20 PM

Ty everybody i will rethink about the whole thing. I wont be buying the power suppily dont know about the sli either

once again ty
m
l
a c 193 U Graphics card
a c 121 ) Power supply
June 27, 2012 10:31:35 PM

Glad to hear you've changed your mind about the Diablowtek. It would likely have killed your new system.
m
l
!