Sign in with
Your question

Crosair H60 cooler , still has high temp

Last response: in Components
December 31, 2012 3:42:12 PM

Hi:

my cpu is i5 3570k quad core. gpu: gtx 660 ti, motherboard ga z77x u3dh and I use the gs700 power supply.

instead of the heat sink that came with the cpu, I use h60 liquid cooler, which gives me a max temp of 67C when gaming - which I am told that it's unusual for liquid cooler.

I do believe I have mounted the radiator on the cpu correctly. I plug the radiator power supply cable to the cpufan header on my motherboard, and the fan's cable to one of the system fan header.

I doubt the radiator is not working since I should be getting a much higher temp if It wasn't. But what could be the potential problem to this?

thanks!
a c 694 ) Power supply
a c 850 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 4:49:29 PM

The contact with the CPU and application of thermal paste.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:11:02 PM

rolli59 said:
The contact with the CPU and application of thermal paste.

you mean there are not enough pressure on the cpu by the radiator or do I need a thicker thermal paste than the ones that came with the radiator?
m
l
Related resources
a c 694 ) Power supply
a c 850 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 5:16:40 PM

Might be not enough pressure, what came with the cooler should be sufficient.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 5:20:24 PM

You NEVER want "thick" thermal paste. Pull it, clean it, put a rice grain size in the middle and reattach.

Keep in mind that voltage or other things could affect it, 67 degrees at full load is fine, and the H60 is a closed loop liquid cooler, not very good, and will be outperformed by cheaper air coolers
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:43:33 PM

unksol said:
You NEVER want "thick" thermal paste. Pull it, clean it, put a rice grain size in the middle and reattach.

Keep in mind that voltage or other things could affect it, 67 degrees at full load is fine, and the H60 is a closed loop liquid cooler, not very good, and will be outperformed by cheaper air coolers

so do you think the liquid cooler is not worth it? maybe I should just use the air cooler that came with the cpu instead?

lol i wasted 60 bucks then
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 6:06:34 PM

hihiip201 said:
so do you think the liquid cooler is not worth it? maybe I should just use the air cooler that came with the cpu instead?

lol i wasted 60 bucks then

No not at all. it is DEFINITELY better than the stock cooler. If it is not performing that way there is an issue. just saying you should check voltage, paste, etc, 67 degrees is not an emergency condition, and the fact it is liquid doesn't guarantee excellent temps. It still has to transfer heat to air like a normal cooler.

IN GENERAL you can find an air cooler that will perform as well as closed loop liquid for less. But they do have their uses, and it was not a waste. And way better than stock if mounted correctly
m
l
December 31, 2012 7:54:27 PM

unksol said:
No not at all. it is DEFINITELY better than the stock cooler. If it is not performing that way there is an issue. just saying you should check voltage, paste, etc, 67 degrees is not an emergency condition, and the fact it is liquid doesn't guarantee excellent temps. It still has to transfer heat to air like a normal cooler.

IN GENERAL you can find an air cooler that will perform as well as closed loop liquid for less. But they do have their uses, and it was not a waste. And way better than stock if mounted correctly

gotcha, let me tighten up the screws on the radiator and run half an hour gameplay and report with the voltage.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 8:50:40 PM

No your idle temps are just fine man. Just get a proper application of some good thermal paste like arctic silver 5 (I don't care what anyone say the stuff that comes with coolers is crap) And I wouldn't worry about your temps.
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:33:11 AM

cmi86 said:
No your idle temps are just fine man. Just get a proper application of some good thermal paste like arctic silver 5 (I don't care what anyone say the stuff that comes with coolers is crap) And I wouldn't worry about your temps.

gotcha, good thing I do have ac5 left.

the following is my fullload temps and fan speed (after playing 30 minutes of assassin's creed)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28rpppc&s=6
m
l
January 1, 2013 3:32:26 AM

How is your H60 mounted to the case? The H60 is typically mounted in place of the rear exhaust fan, blowing the air from inside the case to the outside. I don' see the type of gtx 660 ti that you have, but if it is one of those sporting an non-reference cooler, there may be a lot of heat inside your case that is exiting though your radiator.

Some reverse the air flow of their cases when using a closed-loop liquid cooler, pulling the air from outside of the case through the radiator. This also depends on the type of case you have and it's cooling options.

I've made some assumptions about your case/fan architecture, so I may be barking up the wrong tree.
m
l
January 1, 2013 4:52:06 AM

sbarrack said:
How is your H60 mounted to the case? The H60 is typically mounted in place of the rear exhaust fan, blowing the air from inside the case to the outside. I don' see the type of gtx 660 ti that you have, but if it is one of those sporting an non-reference cooler, there may be a lot of heat inside your case that is exiting though your radiator.

Some reverse the air flow of their cases when using a closed-loop liquid cooler, pulling the air from outside of the case through the radiator. This also depends on the type of case you have and it's cooling options.

I've made some assumptions about your case/fan architecture, so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

nonono your very helpful! if you are referring to the fan of my h60, I have it mounted the fan toward outside of the case so hot air should comes out the back of my case. (air drew from inside of case and goes out of the case through radiator).

I'm not sure what you mean by not seeing the type of gtx 660 ti I have or a non reference cooler. But the fan of my graphic card faces is on the end of the card that doesn't face the cpu so I doubt it affects the cpu cooling much.

thanks!
m
l
January 1, 2013 5:17:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by not seeing the type of gtx 660 ti I have or a non reference cooler. But the fan of my graphic card faces is on the end of the card that doesn't face the cpu so I doubt it affects the cpu cooling much.

For example, this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-3662-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti) uses an NVidia reference cooler. The majority of the heat generated by the GPU is vented out the back of the case.

This card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (GIGABYTE GV-N66TOC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 Ti) uses a non-reference cooler. It's typically quieter, and the GPU is typically cooler, but the heat remains in the case, and it is up to the case cooling to vent the heat.
m
l
January 1, 2013 5:27:35 AM

sbarrack said:
Quote:

For example, this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-3662-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti) uses an NVidia reference cooler. The majority of the heat generated by the GPU is vented out the back of the case.

This card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (GIGABYTE GV-N66TOC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 Ti) uses a non-reference cooler. It's typically quieter, and the GPU is typically cooler, but the heat remains in the case, and it is up to the case cooling to vent the heat.

I believe mine is the second one, I have the gigabyte and 2gb 660 ti. I actually removed a fan that's right at the bottom of the case which is also where the gpu fan is facing. I removed that fan due to a concern regarding the its possible interference with the tangled cables of the power supply. I am going to try putting that fan back on somehow to see if I can improve the temperatures a bit.

thanks
m
l
January 1, 2013 3:53:10 PM

After 2 hours of gamepaly, I have some terrible news. all of the core of my cpu reach 74C which is super hot.

I have my pump connected to the cpu fan with full 12V and my fan to a 12 V control header on my motherboard. should I reverse this in order to get a lower temp?
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
a c 850 à CPUs
January 1, 2013 3:55:56 PM

There is more wrong than just the 12 volt connections! Pump dead, no coolant and so on.
m
l
January 1, 2013 4:06:38 PM

rolli59 said:
There is more wrong than just the 12 volt connections! Pump dead, no coolant and so on.

wait am I supposed to put water in myself? because I didn't.
m
l
January 1, 2013 4:33:52 PM

rolli59 said:
No it comes prefilled, but checking the manual the fan goes on CPU fan header and the pump to case fan header. http://www.corsair.com/en/media/cms/manual/forWeb_8.5in... That allows for speed control of the fan but the pump runs constant speed!

yea I just reversed that. Pump (the one attached to the thing on cpu) goes to sys fan, and fan goes to cpu fan.

But what's weird is that my motherboard manual tells me cpu fan has constant 12 V and sysfan has controllable 12 V.

the pump is the one that is supposed to be running on 4xxx rpm right?

my manual just say "connect the pump to any 3pin or 4pin avaliable on motherboard. didn't even mention where the fan goes
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
a c 850 à CPUs
January 1, 2013 4:43:15 PM

It is a matter of pins on the plug 4 pin pwm fan and 3 pin plug. But doubtful that is going to change much.
m
l
January 1, 2013 5:08:14 PM

rolli59 said:
It is a matter of pins on the plug 4 pin pwm fan and 3 pin plug. But doubtful that is going to change much.

arghh....Im gonna try ac5 then. thanks!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 9:54:36 PM

hihiip201 said:
arghh....Im gonna try ac5 then. thanks!

No offense but those lower end closed loop systems are prone to so many problems and honestly don't cool any better than a good air cooler like the coolermaster hyper 212+ Evo that can be had with an additional fan (so 2 on the heatsink) for about $30 us. I would say return your H60 and get a good air cooler.
m
l
January 1, 2013 10:26:53 PM

cmi86 said:
No offense but those lower end closed loop systems are prone to so many problems and honestly don't cool any better than a good air cooler like the coolermaster hyper 212+ Evo that can be had with an additional fan (so 2 on the heatsink) for about $30 us. I would say return your H60 and get a good air cooler.

if only I can, but the cpu and the h60 cooler are not returnable :( 
m
l
May 11, 2013 9:09:00 AM

This is all to much BS. The H60 does a great job and is superior to the hyper212+evo. You do have to pay attention when installing a closed loop but it is superior to most any fan setup. Make sure your case has an appropriate mounting point, then mount the radiator with a pair of quiet 120mm fans in a push pull config. Unless there is a problem with the pump on your existing system, which i suspect, you should be golden.
m
l
!