Corsair 500r help

Well I recently purchased the corsair 500r but I am confused... Do I connect the fans to my PSU or my Mobo and if I was connecting them to my psu how would I use the 3 fan controller thing and what are the advanteges of connecting to mobo or PSU
17 answers Last reply
More about corsair 500r help
  1. If you connect them to the mobo, you can (usually) control the fan speed via the BIOS. If you connect them to the PSU, you can't.
  2. you can connect the fans to the motherboard or the fan controller thats built in. the stock fans included should be wired already to the fan controller. if you are to add more fans, connect them the motherboard
  3. TheBigTroll said:
    you can connect the fans to the motherboard or the fan controller thats built in. the stock fans included should be wired already to the fan controller. if you are to add more fans, connect them the motherboard

What would the fan controller look like? Like I have seen the exhaust fan and the large 240mm intake fan and there not connected to anything
  4. it doesnt look like anything. its just this thing in the back of the case where you can hook up the 3 pre-included fans and then you can control it from the front of the case
  5. Would you reccomend the fan controler or motherboard?
  6. I have the 500R and have swapped fans in/out. Are trying to hook-up the stock fans, the included ones front and side? If so, you`ll need to connect the 4 pin molex connector from the PSU. The included fan connectors are not typical 3pin connectors. So, you will have to use the provided fan and light controller connecting via molex.
    Well the advantages are fan speed control as well as light on/off.
  7. Im just trying to get the ones that came with it working but I know how to plug them into the fan controller and set that up but Im wondering is there just a auto mode I can put it on on the motherboard so the fan spin fast only when needed?
  8. Yea, there is a splitter included. You will have to look at the connectors. Seriously, they can only plug in to the intended size connector. Maybe you have to look around in the upper front of case for these connectors. Mine were hanging loose, quickly discovered once side panel was removed. Yours may be tucked or covered by other things at this point. Locate back side of fan/light switches and work your way back.
  9. and do you see the 4 pin pass through molex connector, plug it into an available molex connector from your PSU
  10. The two switches on front panel do all the work, you`ll see. Actually really nice

one switch is fan speed controller the other is led light on/off

The rear fan has a standard 3pin connector and can be plugged into mobo.
  11. Quote:
    and do you see the 4 pin pass through molex connector, plug it into an available molex connector from your PSU

Yeah I do and talking about your latest post but how would I know what settings to put it on? Wouldn't it be easier to put it on a auto tune thing or something? If that exists
  12. darkcam17 said:
    Yeah I do and talking about your latest post but how would I know what settings to put it on? Wouldn't it be easier to put it on a auto tune thing or something? If that exists

No need for auto or bios setting or anything like that. The case has an included fan controller, it`s the upper right front panel - 3position switch. Plug it up, power it up, you`ll see. If not happy we can mod it, but these fans do alright. oh, the switch next to the slider is a LED light controller.

did you get the side fan connected? All three fans are controlled by the existing couple switches
  13. Yeah I've seen it but wouldn't auto be easier? I mean I don't want to have to be constantly worried about what fan mode its on
  14. By auto you mean variable by temperature like a thermistor or something. The included three fans are setup as intakes with special 3pin plugs. You would have to adapt these to standard 3pin fan connectors in order to control them from mobo. The rear exhaust has a standard 3pin that can be connected to mobo fan header.
    I`ve not had any trouble out my setup related to temps. Stock fans, stock location and direction. I installed a H100, exhaust out of the top and turned the rear around as an intake.
    I mention that because you could add a 120mm(or two) to the top as exhaust and control from mobo. Is this rig running now? Can you begin monitoring temps and then make adjustments from there. I try to balance effective cooling with noise level. So, it may require a couple different configurations to get what you want
  15. Not yet haven't got to the cable management and like if I left my fans on low could I overheat my computer by mistake?
  16. darkcam17 said:
    Not yet haven't got to the cable management and like if I left my fans on low could I overheat my computer by mistake?

No.

A single rear exhaust fan has proven to be effective for years in many prebuilts. What system specs are you setting up? CPU,Motherboard, discrete graphics card, aftermarket cpu cooler, etc.
    Trying to get an idea of how much heat you`ll need to exhaust from this case
  17. Only fans connected by the small, 4 pin PWM connectors like the CPU fan will speed up and slow down automatically. The case fans wont have PWM, even if they do, the motherboard will only have a maximum of 2 PWM sockets. I have never seen a motherboard with more. Just set all the fans to the lowest speed and see what happens. You wont overheat because CPU and GPU have PWM fans that will just speed up. Even if you do overheat, you will just BSOD or switch off.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Connection Corsair Fan Controller Systems