Solved

GTX 570 vs HD7770, Worth buying older hardware?

I am looking for a card to replace my 9800GTX+ I already know there will be a bottleneck with my Core2Quad Q9400

I can get a decent deal on a used GTX 570 for about $200 vs $150 for a new 7770.

The 7770 is the best current-gen, price-performance card on the market right now, and I really don't like buying last-gen hardware, but I only have around $200 total to spend right now, and I want to make the most of it.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hd7770 worth buying older hardware
  1. My motherboard won't support SLI or CrossfireX, and the bottleneck with the Q9400 still bothers me about how much performance I won't be able to utilize.
  2. I'd suggest the GTX 570, it'll destroy the 7770 in performance. Although the 7770 would use less energy but they just don't match in performance.
  3. mpheng said:
    I'd suggest the GTX 570, it'll destroy the 7770 in performance. Although the 7770 would use less energy but they just don't match in performance.

I have a 680w PSU, so power isn't a huge concern, just buying older and used hardware is what kills me.

How much of a bottleneck do you think I would have with the 570 compared to the 7770?

My only problem would be if the $50 extra I put down on a 570 really wouldn't show better performance because of the bottleneck from my Q9400. I heard if you overclock it from 2.6Ghz to upwards of 3 Ghz it might help but my CPU Cooler is a piece of trash.
  4. You could spend the $25 to buy a CM 212 Evo, and overclock away.
  5. Best answer
    a GTX 570 will not be bottlenecked by your cpu. ( or should i put in the "depending on the game and resolution" disclaimer :p )

the 570 was released in Q3 of 2110; your cpu was released in Q3 of 2008.

now would you get more FPS with a sandy bridge i5?
    yes.
    but that has nothing to do with the cpu bottlenecking the 570 but the limitation of the cpu; there is a difference.
  6. eddieroolz said:
    You could spend the $25 to buy a CM 212 Evo, and overclock away.

Can that fit a socket 775?
  7. Best answer selected by SecretCobraz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Hardware Graphics