Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hello,

I'm placed in charge of managing a computer lab at an elementary school
(Windows XP Pro). What I'm looking for is a way to create a limited user
account where I can limit Control Panel access and prevent users from
installing applications. I also want to customize the desktop and start menu
appearance of these accounts. I would also like to be able to do this at home
to prevent unauthorized users (i.e. kids) from installing programs on my
computer. I am left, however, with the connundrum of how can I log on to the
restricted account to change these settings when the account itself is
restricted? Is there an optimal solution for easily creating and managing
limited user accounts from an admin-level account without actually having to
log on to that account? And conversely, is there a way to install an
application from the restricted account AS an administrator?

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hello Dave,

If you create a "Limited User" account on the computer the kids will not be
able to install applications. If you want to be more restrictive, you can
modify the Local security policy. This can be found in the Control Panel
under Administrative Options. The Admin account can manage all to other
accounts. You cannot manage any user account except the one you are in
unless you are logged in as an administrator. You can install applications
from any user account by right-clicking on the install program and choosing
"Run As..." this should install the app as long as you know the
administrator password. I am very tired so if this post doesn't' make much
sense please forgive me...

Peter

> Hello,
>
> I'm placed in charge of managing a computer lab at an elementary school
> (Windows XP Pro). What I'm looking for is a way to create a limited user
> account where I can limit Control Panel access and prevent users from
> installing applications. I also want to customize the desktop and start
menu
> appearance of these accounts. I would also like to be able to do this at
home
> to prevent unauthorized users (i.e. kids) from installing programs on my
> computer. I am left, however, with the connundrum of how can I log on to
the
> restricted account to change these settings when the account itself is
> restricted? Is there an optimal solution for easily creating and managing
> limited user accounts from an admin-level account without actually having
> log on to that account? And conversely, is there a way to install an
> application from the restricted account AS an administrator?
>
> Thanks.

David

"Dave" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm placed in charge of managing a computer lab at an elementary school
> (Windows XP Pro). What I'm looking for is a way to create a limited user
> account where I can limit Control Panel access and prevent users from
> installing applications. I also want to customize the desktop and start menu
> appearance of these accounts. I would also like to be able to do this at home
> to prevent unauthorized users (i.e. kids) from installing programs on my
> computer. I am left, however, with the connundrum of how can I log on to the
> restricted account to change these settings when the account itself is
> restricted? Is there an optimal solution for easily creating and managing
> limited user accounts from an admin-level account without actually having to
> log on to that account? And conversely, is there a way to install an
> application from the restricted account AS an administrator?
>
> Thanks.

David

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

You can get a program called Deep Freeze they can make all the changes they
want and install all the programs they want and when you reboot the machine
it will remove all the setting changes and installed programs that the user
put on the machine during lab time. They will have to save all there files to
a data stick or a floppy drive. hope this helps.

"Dave" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm placed in charge of managing a computer lab at an elementary school
> (Windows XP Pro). What I'm looking for is a way to create a limited user
> account where I can limit Control Panel access and prevent users from
> installing applications. I also want to customize the desktop and start menu
> appearance of these accounts. I would also like to be able to do this at home
> to prevent unauthorized users (i.e. kids) from installing programs on my
> computer. I am left, however, with the connundrum of how can I log on to the
> restricted account to change these settings when the account itself is
> restricted? Is there an optimal solution for easily creating and managing
> limited user accounts from an admin-level account without actually having to
> log on to that account? And conversely, is there a way to install an
> application from the restricted account AS an administrator?
>
> Thanks.

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:39:01 -0700, Dave wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm placed in charge of managing a computer lab at an elementary school
> (Windows XP Pro). What I'm looking for is a way to create a limited user
> account where I can limit Control Panel access and prevent users from
> installing applications.

I am not an expert, but you're talking about how to configure a server
vs. how to configure a personal computer. Since I don't know from
"up" about servers, I don't know if there is a difference or not. The
only thing I can tell you is - the lab at my school is a Mac Lab and
it's set up with panels. The person who set it up was a VERY
knowledgable (one of the original developers of Adobe) and it serves
its purpose well, but it's a pain for teachers who need to do more.

> I also want to customize the desktop and start menu
> appearance of these accounts. I would also like to be able to do this at home
> to prevent unauthorized users (i.e. kids) from installing programs on my
> computer.

Using Remote Desktop? You'd log off during the daytime.

> I am left, however, with the connundrum of how can I log on to the
> restricted account to change these settings when the account itself is
> restricted? Is there an optimal solution for easily creating and managing
> limited user accounts from an admin-level account without actually having to
> log on to that account? And conversely, is there a way to install an
> application from the restricted account AS an administrator?

Of course!

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

You are in charge of a Computer Lab??
Have you tried the "Group Policies" in Win XP to do this?