moosy8

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hey I'm back. So I was using my laptop to play wow and it did this thing that it did with dcuo and swtor. It would not work correctly. If you saw my other topics, I thought it was the wifi. I moved it right in front of the router and it didnt work. I tried it in my bedroom, which is close to the router. The computer was very hot. I think it was the heat which is causing it to not work.

Anyway I'm getting a new one. Should I build or buy. I'm leaning towards building but can anyone recommend parts or a prebuilt. I need every part except monitor including os. My budget is $700. I want all the parts from newegg unless a way cheaper part is on tigerdirect.

Solution
I don't understand what you're looking for an answer about. ITs up to you. I've already told you the route I think you should go, so have others. You have to make your own decision now. Its your money.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
First time builder uhm? well... i got you covered, buy this:

and go here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=prive&page=1

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3(R2.0) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($217.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($57.08 @ NCIX US)
Total: $715.94

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
The reason I suggested what I did was because he said that he wanted a computer to run WOW and it doesn't take all that much to do that so I thought the other build would be a cheaper alternative that would still easily fulfill all of his needs.

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

That build is 15 over his budget and does not include a copy of windows. There are plenty of pre-built laptops for under 700 that will be more than capable of running wow. Heck you could even get an Acer, Toshiba, or an HP with a trinity apu and 7660g integrated GPU and it would run wow just fine.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Ohhh i get it... a computer to run world of ... i tough he mean "Wow! build or buy" :LOL:

I wouldnt get the 560 SE (Suck Edition) video card honestly, even though yea it honestly could max out WoW. The Suck edition 560 is actually shittier than the older generation 460.

I'd go 6870 at least for the price range. Should keep you in the right budget range, or close to it. But yea, i3-2120 no problem for WoW.

moosy8

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

id rather not get a laptop for the reason stated in my first post

moosy8

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

wow that looks good but can u put the correct links for some of them. two of them are for the cpu when its not supposed to be. kalganized, the main wow tech guy, says anything past 4gb of ram is overkill and will not affect performance. i am thinking of getting a radeon 6670. the reviews say they max wow and kalganized said it is good. also the utube videos for it max it on wow at 60 fps

6670s probably will max out WoW to be honest with you, WoW and most other MMORPGs are not particularly system intensive games. That being said, is WoW seriously the only game you're ever going to play on this computer? If so, go with god. But, the 6670 is not a particularly powerful graphics card. Of course it would be silly going with something like a GTX 670 at $400 just to play WoW, but theres nothing wrong with a little bit of overkill on the graphics. Not only for playing other games that may be system demanding, but for the simple fact that you never know if WoW is going to do some kind of update that makes it require a more demanding graphics card.

Corsair Builder Series are actually very reliable, decent quality power supplies. Now, if you would prefer I stop giving input and come up with an original build of my own, I shall do so.

As far as cases, this is really a personal thing, my advice is to find something you think is pretty, then check out some reviews on it and see if you like it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ePbq

Yes, I used a Phenom II 965 instead of an i3. Personal preference.

moosy8

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

trust me a 6530g can run cataclysm fast on low settings. I will not max out anyway. If I can max out fine without lag then I will but I dont need too intense graphics. I play games on low very quickly. Wow might not be the only game but I will not be playing Aion or Allods or FFXIV anytime soon. I'm more of a wow, swtor kinda guy.

moosy8

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

wow(no pun intended) you're good. that's really what I wanted. It's cheap, not too overkill, but still good. Thanks if anyone would like to comment feel free. I'll be back in five minutes

You're welcome.. Oh, and I'm sure there will be at least one crackpot who will show up and act like the i3 is lightyears better than the Phenom II 965 (they aren't), and totally disregard the fact that P IIs paired with a 6870 will max out any popular MMORPG on the market today. :lol:

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Ask and you shall revice:

There is an 8.4% diference between those 2 CPUs and only a 5% diference between the i3 3240 and the i3 2120... the i3 still wins :lol:

and dont bring up Bulldozer... i dont want to use an G850 as an example hahahaha

Edit: just to annoy you i am going to say that it's impossible to use an 6870 with a Pentium II CPU because of the chipset that compatible motherboards do not have an PCI-e connection... my job here is done :lol:

Friendly advice, never use Passmark to justify anything on these forums, people will string you up from a tree. All joking aside, seriously, passmark is a friggin joke for benchmarks.

Also, you circled a Phenom II 980 @ $140. I linked a Phenom II 965 @ $99.99. Set multiplier to 18.5x and you get a 980 model for the price of a 965. Overclock to 4.0GHZ, and you get an i3-2120 that gets its asswhopped in multi-threading 4 thread performance, and matched in single core performance.

moosy8

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

but is he right that the gpu and mobo are not compatible or was it a joke

He was joking lol. I know, I amaze the *** out myself sometimes, but I got you covered, everything is compatible, and like it or not, you'll max the hell out of WoW and Swtor with that build.

Oh, the CPU cooler I put in, thats actually optional, if you don't want to overclock, you can drop it. On the stock cooler, you can OC it to 3.7GHZ by setting the multiplier to 18.5 like I mentioned. The 980 model and 965 are the same CPU, and ship with the same cooler, so you can do that without an aftermarket cooler like the 212+.

moosy8

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

do u play with this build or are you using benchmarks or just assuming it will max it out

I've played WoW before yes, but it really didn't impress me all that much. But yes, I was able to max it out with my system, and the 550 TI is not as good of a video card as a 6870. SWTOR I've never played before, but you can trust me when I say this or not, you'll have no problem maxing it out with that setup. You'll also be able to play a lot of other far heavier games should you decide to do so with that setup. I can run Crysis 2 at Ultra settings on my rig @ 1280x1024, all the COD games fully maxed at the same resolution, so yea you're golden.