At this point how long will my CPU last?

I had a AMD FX 8120 for maybe 10 months now and I can get it at about 4.2GHz at 1.4V so do you think it will live long enough if I overclock it to around 4.8GHz or something to keep up with my 7970 and my other programs that use a lot of CPU usage till maybe 6 months after haswell so I can get a nice Intel CPU?
11 answers Last reply
More about point long last
  1. If you want your amd cpu to last, then don't overclock it too high. Use the default voltage and go from there.
  2. Do AMD CPUs not last as long? I found out my voltage was too high for that overclock and I'm putting down and so far less heat and it's not unstable.
  3. CPU's can last 10+ years if you wanted them to. Ideally you'd upgrade to the CPU that comes after Haswell.
  4. I would say Broadwell but I want to see what Skylake offers just in case it's like a %30 improvement while I sit here crying waiting for it to come out.
  5. Sitting at 4.8GHz will last you long enough to make it to Haswell for sure. Do not worry my friend.
  6. Would it last until Broadwell?
  7. Look at the first generation of Intel's core processors, a lot of people still have them running at pretty high overclocks just fine. As long as you don't increase the voltage a lot you should be fine.
  8. But I am increasing the volatage -_-.
  9. dont increase voltage unless unless you have a good aftermarket cpu cooler
  10. I had the stock coooler, then the hyper 212+, then the tpc 812 and now I'm getting a water cooling kit :).
  11. ColoredWater said:
    I had a AMD FX 8120 for maybe 10 months now and I can get it at about 4.2GHz at 1.4V so do you think it will live long enough if I overclock it to around 4.8GHz or something to keep up with my 7970 and my other programs that use a lot of CPU usage till maybe 6 months after haswell so I can get a nice Intel CPU?

There are no guarantees when it comes to overclocking!

And no one can give you a solid answer only their assumptions, you may get years you may get minutes, it's a gamble and acceptable risk, we all take, when it comes to overclocking!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking AMD