New Gaming Computer

Hey everyone. I am working on a new build for a gaming computer. Below is what is planned for the basics.

CPU: Intel i7-3820
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
SSD: Samsung 830 512GB
Case: Coolmaster HAFX
Memory: GSkill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4x8GB) Speed 1866
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W
HD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Graphics Card: GTX 690 Hydro

The system will be liquid cooled (CPU and GPU in single loop). The hope is when prices go down to get a second 690 and put in SLI. The main questions and thought I have on this is the memory and the graphics cards. The ASUS lets you OC the memory to 2400. Is it worth it to buy that memory and OC I've heard some stability issues with this and does it impact performance much? Also, I'm still back and forth between 2 680 SLI potentially to 4 in SLI or 1 690 with the potential for 2, anyone have thought or comments on that or any other questions/comments on the build?
9 answers Last reply
More about gaming computer
  1. Everything on that build is pretty much massive overkill. X79 isn't really needed for a gaming rig and dual 670s will give you better frame rates than a single 690 will - and is $200 cheaper. Also the cost per GB on a 512GB SSD isn't worth it by any means, and 1200W and 32GB are unbelievable overkill - on a gaming rig these things will be completely useless.
  2. this is what you should get

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/e7Mw
  3. Thanks for the quick response. Down to 16GB for the memory or do you think even less than that? I'm reading more on the PSU you think 850 is good or do I need more if I'm gonna expand at somepoint to maybe 4 670s?
  4. g-unit1111 said:
    Everything on that build is pretty much massive overkill. X79 isn't really needed for a gaming rig and dual 670s will give you better frame rates than a single 690 will - and is $200 cheaper. Also the cost per GB on a 512GB SSD isn't worth it by any means, and 1200W and 32GB are unbelievable overkill - on a gaming rig these things will be completely useless.


    :o

    :pt1cable:

    :heink:

    :lol:
  5. Builder2B said:
    Thanks for the quick response. Down to 16GB for the memory or do you think even less than that? I'm reading more on the PSU you think 850 is good or do I need more if I'm gonna expand at somepoint to maybe 4 670s?

    for gaming mate max Ram you need is 8GB
    and you could go with the 850 for 2 GTX BUT is you are going to more then that i would get the 1200watts if moneys not that much of a problem then get that but with gaming dont take that much unles you are running more then one monitor
    so if your running more then 1 monitor let me know
  6. Yea right now 2 Yamakasi CatLeap 270 at 2560x1440 the goal adding a 3rd at some point in the future, only have 1 card on this computer so its out at the moment.
  7. most people recommend the AMD for More then one monitor so you should get Sapphire best brand for AMD
    7950 if anyone thinks different let me know
  8. iDaveeFTW said:
    most people recommend the AMD for More then one monitor so you should get Sapphire best brand for AMD
    7950 if anyone thinks different let me know



    its hard to compare any current gpu to the 690 as its a dual gpu card. Ideally, I would think the 7990 will defeat the 690 on high resolution play, but the 7990's release isnt going to happen for awhile.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems