Sign in with
Your question

Ivy I-3 3220

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2012 8:16:31 PM

Hello,
well i just got into pc gaming in the black friday and got my self a computer, i didnt want to invest in the pc becuase i wasnt sure if id like the gaming aspect of it. Now after getting used to gaming on the pc i found mysefl hooked and now i want to doing some investing so my question is
giving that my money is infact limited i only have about 400 dollars to spend for the upgrade. Currently i have a vapor x 7770 oc edition from sapphire with the ivy i3 3220 with 8gb ram and 650 w corsair psu with an msi mobo what should i upgrade first the video card or the cpu and why ? also id like to know if i stayed with the i3 and got let say a gtx 670 or an 660 ti would i get satisfying video settings or upgrade to the i-7?

More about : ivy 3220

a c 78 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 8:30:18 PM

The i7 is an unnecessary expense because the i5 will game just as well. (The i7's Hyperthreading does little, if anything, in most games)

However, I wouldn't even get an i5 right now. Your weakest link is your graphics card and upgrading to a 670 will make the biggest difference right now.

The i5 is better, but the i3 is surprisingly capable for gaming.
m
l
a c 389 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 8:39:52 PM

The graphic card will make the greatest immediate improvement. The i3 can easily handle the GTX 670 when it comes to gaming. An upgrade to an i5 in the future will allow you to go beyond that in cards. But the i7 only offers improvements that gaming doesn't utilize.
m
l
Related resources
a c 480 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 11:03:38 PM

The vast majority of games only use 2 cores. While many games will list a quad core CPU as "Recommended", they do in fact only use 2 cores. The most popular game that can use more than 2 core is Battlefield 3, but only in multiplay mode. In single player campaign it only uses 2 cores.

I believe ARMA can use 4 cores, however, I can't think of a single game which actually use 4 (or more cores). Then again, I'm not a huge gamer.

The best bang for the buck to improve performance is to buy a more powerful graphics card.
m
l
January 2, 2013 12:35:23 AM

Thanks guys I'm then going to upgrade the graphic card and by later in the new year upgrade my CPU thank you once again
m
l
!