Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ONE FINAL CHECK! (Compatibility, etc.)

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 17, 2012 1:34:19 AM

WHAT I HAVE RIGHT NOW

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: TOMORROW

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Homework, watching stuff, listening to music, playing games

Are you buying a monitor: Late on



Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) Errything

Do you need to buy OS:No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Location: City, State/Region, Country - California

Parts Preferences: Intel and Asus. However I know nothing about GPUS

Overclocking: 100% maybe

SLI or Crossfire: once again, 100% maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (<---- give me a good moniter with this res!)

Additional Comments: I'm all about performance. Gaming will be very minimum, the biggest thing I want this computer to do is LAST. I want it to last me a long time!
August 17, 2012 1:55:49 AM

What is your budget?
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 1:58:01 AM

Check out my $1100 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
If your usage is as listed, you shouldn't even need to spend more than $850 on this computer. You should be slowly/incrementally upgrading, that would last longer than spending a whole lot of money now.

The Sabertooth isn't even worth the cost at all and if you're not going to play a whole lot of games you shouldn't need to SLI/CF, the 7950 can handle most games at max settings no AA at 1080P. With that said the HX750 is overpriced try going for the Rosewill Hive 750w.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Solid PSU, allows for future Crossfire and it's cheap but performs.
Review: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-HIVE-65...
m
0
l
Related resources
August 17, 2012 2:12:15 AM

1100 is a waste of money. Build a 3870K + Asus F1A75V Pro based system. You don't need a 7950 if you don't game. Pointless. That will last for at least five years as a homework based system.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 3:27:49 AM

The only game I play is need for speed most wanted, I might do a little more of these racing games since I'm getting a g25 racing wheel, but with school and things I'm really not sure.

Should I downgrade my CPU as well to the IB i5 (can't remember it off the top of my head)
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 6:26:31 AM

A 3870K would be a better and much cheaper than an i5. It will swallow and spit out Need For Speed easily.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 6:29:02 AM

There is no such thing as a 3870k. It is a 3570k.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 6:36:16 AM

azeem40 said:
There is no such thing as a 3870k. It is a 3570k.


HA! AMD's APU's . . .
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 6:38:55 AM

Maybe because he confused me by saying 3870k instead of A8-3870k. Then I'd have known he was talking about an AMD APU.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 6:41:02 AM

OP buy this:

CPU: AMD A8-3870K 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($60.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL Value PLUS 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6670 2GB Video Card ($56.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($57.08 @ NCIX US)
Total: $591.96
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 6:43:06 AM

Looks like a good build, but he can get by on a VX450 as well.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 6:44:57 AM

no point in getting the anti static wristband. If you wanted to grounds yourself, the first thing you should do is install the PSU in the case(cant really screw that one up much) and have it plugged in. as long as your hand is touching the metal casing of the case, You should be grounded.


essentially, its best to work on a wooden or metal table, before touching any sensitive component, touch the case with both hands to ground yourself.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 6:54:46 AM

Why use the AMD APU at this price point? At a total of $592 for only $50 more you could get an i5 3450 and a 6870 which would perform MUCH better. You might not get the SSD but honestly you don't need an SSD really.
You can always add one on later to have it cache speeds so you don't have to re-install OS and it'll be just as fast as an SSD.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 7:13:46 AM

The OP doesn't need a 3450. That Asrock board is rubbish and A55 too. Get a quality A75 board from Asus. You want as many connectors as possible to last as long as you can.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 12:37:47 AM

^ Find a review that shows the Asrock is a bad board please. Don't base your arguments off pure fan support. He can always just get an i3 2100 but the i5 3450 will last much longer.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 12:45:59 AM

aznshinobi said:
^ Find a review that shows the Asrock is a bad board please. Don't base your arguments off pure fan support. He can always just get an i3 2100 but the i5 3450 will last much longer.



hes not exactally saying asrock is bad, its more like having the top end llano chip on a budgetish mobo is funny to him as you can only get so far if you decide to overclock it.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 12:57:42 AM

dudewitbow said:
hes not exactally saying asrock is bad, its more like having the top end llano chip on a budgetish mobo is funny to him as you can only get so far if you decide to overclock it.


Top-end llano?? there is no such thing as a "top-end" APU....they're all very crappy and they're all for low budget builds.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 1:10:24 AM

aqualipt said:
Top-end llano?? there is no such thing as a "top-end" APU....they're all very crappy and they're all for low budget builds.



of course, but regardless, its still the top end llano despite the cost of the llano chips. almost same argument can be made with mid tier phenoms(965 be) and comparing the 760/970/990 chipsets. how much is enough.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 1:23:41 AM

aqualipt said:
Top-end llano?? there is no such thing as a "top-end" APU....they're all very crappy and they're all for low budget builds.


Very crappy? Are you sponsored by Intel? Its perfect for the current OP's build.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 1:27:27 AM

Smeg45 said:
Very crappy? Are you sponsored by Intel? Its perfect for the current OP's build.


I know, but i meant for more aggressive usage
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 9:51:45 PM

Don't know that with $600 you should go with a Llano, when a 6670 and G680 costs the same and performs better. So... I would personally opt for an i3 and a GPU.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 10:30:06 PM

aznshinobi said:
Don't know that with $600 you should go with a Llano, when a 6670 and G680 costs the same and performs better. So... I would personally opt for an i3 and a GPU.


Not on well threaded applications where that Pentium will be smashed by 4 real working Llano cores not to mention general multitasking. A 6670 is redundant when the 3870K already has the equivalent built in.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 10:49:43 PM

Then you're spending more money on RAM for 2133 ram to have slightly faster speed on the chips APU. You're also allocating more for a board that can overclock well. A combination of that, you might as well get the G680 + a 6770 or 7770 for the price point at which point the A8-3870K doesn't even stand a chance.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 11:15:12 PM

aznshinobi said:
Then you're spending more money on RAM for 2133 ram to have slightly faster speed on the chips APU. You're also allocating more for a board that can overclock well. A combination of that, you might as well get the G680 + a 6770 or 7770 for the price point at which point the A8-3870K doesn't even stand a chance.


4 cores vs 2 in a day to day build. Pentium isn't worth it.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 11:20:11 PM

Lol but the OP isn't using multi-thread, the Pentium is a solid CPU the i3 2100 is always there if he wants. The 3870K in gaming just doesn't even challenge.

i3 2100 vs A8-3850 (The 3870K would perform similarly)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/399?vs=289
The i3 2100 keeps up in almost all benches involving more cores.
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 12:46:11 AM

aznshinobi said:
Lol but the OP isn't using multi-thread, the Pentium is a solid CPU the i3 2100 is always there if he wants. The 3870K in gaming just doesn't even challenge.

i3 2100 vs A8-3850 (The 3870K would perform similarly)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/399?vs=289
The i3 2100 keeps up in almost all benches involving more cores.


Its a day to day work PC that needs to multitask obviously so 4 cores makes more sense than a cheapo pentium. If the OP wants to move up to some x264 encoding the Pentium will choke up, the Llano won't. No sense to buy a Pentium now and upgrade to i3 later.
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 5:53:11 AM

No I meant that the OP should buy the i3 2100 now, his budget allows for it anyways. The i3 and a dual core is more than enough for a daily user and can handle multi-tasking fine. Browsing and Word doesn't require a quad core...
m
0
l
!