zennousha

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
First off, here's my Motherboard:

(Revision 3.1)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3789#ov

and the processor:

http://shop.amd.com/US/All/Detail/Processor/FD8350FRHKBOX#Details

So, after updating my BIOS on my motherboard to the most recent version, FGj, that supposedly allowed for compatibility with the FX series - my processor booted with a 2.8GHz clock, instead of the 4GHz it's supposed to be at. Prior to the BIOS update, my motherboard refused to work with the Fx-8350.. Now, i know that the fx-8350 isn't on the cpu support list for my motherboard, but other processors in that series work fine, and the wattage is supported (125w).

So, i booted up AMD Overdrive, and i set the clock to 4.1GHz, which by the way I can't figure out how to just set it to 4GHz, and I'm having difficulty accessing the BIOS on my motherboard since the information flashes for a split second on boot up - I've never bothered to access it before, and I can't see how to in time. Nevertheless, i set it to 4.1GHz, and it seems to be running at a relatively cool rate right now on idle (38-41 degrees Celsius according to AMD Overdrive), but i'm not sure if the motherboard is able to even work with the cpu at that high of a hertz. Why else would it default down to 2.8GHz?

Also, I am aware that the BIOS is in beta atm (but it's supposedly stable)..

Lastly, I just replaced the Phenom II x4 955 with the fx-8350, so i know that that at least worked before at 3.2GHz.

All in all, I'm worried that my motherboard isn't going to be able to really work with this new CPU - even though it seems to be fine now, i just think that it might burn out later?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Call Gigabyte tomorrow and ask them! 1-626-854-9338. It's in southern CA, so call during PST hours, probably 9am to 4pm. I called them several years ago and they were very helpful. I noticed the FX6200 was supported and it is a 125Watt 3.8Ghz processor, so that is pretty close as far as supporting the speed. I'll bet you are fine. Perhaps they just haven't made the newest BIOS yet which will properly report the needed info to the MB. The BIOS you have is 7 months old. I have an ASUS M5A99X / FX 8350 and the correct BIOS was just updated about a month ago!
G

I'm no pro but im pretty sure if it supports that wattage and is am3+ compatible you should have no problem..

Foo392

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
That's odd, the chip is AM3+ and the mobo is compatable, I'm not too keen on BIOS settings but it sounds like you just need to set the clock manually.

zennousha

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Alright, so I was able to manually set the clock to 4GHz in the BIOS. Do I have to adjust anything else to compensate for the new CPU clock value? Or should that be fine?

So just to confirm, my motherboard should be fine? :)

drew13

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Run prime95 small fft's for 12 hours or so at 4GHz to make sure there are no errors. Because if there are any errors what soever it needs to be fixed. If you are doing a critical update and your cpu fails, it's not going to be pretty. Your files might become corrupt and your OS might not even boot. It's definitely worth the testing.

avjguy2362

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Call Gigabyte tomorrow and ask them! 1-626-854-9338. It's in southern CA, so call during PST hours, probably 9am to 4pm. I called them several years ago and they were very helpful. I noticed the FX6200 was supported and it is a 125Watt 3.8Ghz processor, so that is pretty close as far as supporting the speed. I'll bet you are fine. Perhaps they just haven't made the newest BIOS yet which will properly report the needed info to the MB. The BIOS you have is 7 months old. I have an ASUS M5A99X / FX 8350 and the correct BIOS was just updated about a month ago!

Solution

pewpew313

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
hi i have the same issue fx 8350 stuck at 2.8ghz, and i cannot raise it through bios i can only change the multiplier, please anyone help? and also does it affect performance that much?

yamahahornist

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Raising the multiplier changes the clock speed btw, try setting your multiplier to 40

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Is it at 2,6 when cpu is @100% use or just idle ? Cool ad quiet downclocks the cpu if nothing is being used . Turn off cool and quiet in the bios and see what the cpu is clocked at
AND IDLE TEMPS ARE HIGH , 38-41 are high , should be around 28-32 , I hit 43c with all cores working 100% with a cheap deepcool mc 300 cooler

pewpew313

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

I found out on my mobo GA-M68MT-S2 that i have to hit ctrl + f1 to access cpu tweaking stuff, i can set my multiplier ONLY to 19 If i select 20 it auto sets it to 7, (btw i had a fx 4100 before hand and when i switched cpus i did not know about flashing bios, is that whats causing my problem?)

Status
Not open for further replies.