Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build, no power?

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2012 1:42:28 AM

Just put a build together today for a friend, and when we hit the power button, nothing happens. I took a paper clip and tried to follow this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

This did nothing for me. There was no response from the psu or the fan. Is this a completely dead psu? If not, it's still in the rma process, so can't change that. I can't check all the other parts though, so I'll have to test other things once we get a new psu.

Any ideas?

More about : build power

Best solution

August 17, 2012 1:59:51 AM

Does sound like your power supply unit is defective. Complete the RMA.

If you're really anxious to find out now, use a power supply from another PC and plug the 24pin into motherboard and power cable for processor and see if any lights show up.
August 17, 2012 2:13:00 AM

There was literally nothing. No clicking, nothing. It was a corsair cx600, supposedly a pretty reliable psu. Hopefully just a dud.
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2012 2:37:44 AM

I bought a $330 1200W Platinum PSU that shot sparks out of it the first time I turned it on.

Duds definitely happen.
m
l
August 17, 2012 2:55:57 AM

super-smashman said:
I bought a $330 1200W Platinum PSU that shot sparks out of it the first time I turned it on.

Duds definitely happen.

That must've been banged around pretty hard during shipping to have something go loose in there... or someone dropped it before putting it into its box! :o 
m
l
August 17, 2012 3:26:51 PM

My first psu in my own custom build was an ocz 650w that smoked as soon as I turned it on, blew all of my parts :( . Moved to corsair, and this is the first problem I've had.
m
l
August 24, 2012 12:02:42 AM

Best answer selected by Project X.
m
l
!