Will a Pentium G860 bottleneck this?

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
As some of you know, I plan to build a new rig this year to replace my Pentium 4 primary machine with a modern Pentium G860. I plan to make it a beast for gaming as well, and I wanna know - will a G860 bottleneck the current 7870, and the next gen 8870? If so, how much performance will be lost? Should I put in a 7770/8770? Any answers will be appreciated.

Planned board to use with it btw: MSI H61M-P31

Solution
There is nothing wrong with a Pentium G for gaming it is still a good CPU and won't bottleneck most GPU epseically not low end gaming cards like a 7770 or 650/650Ti. If anything I would go with a more powerful video card.

popeyejohnson

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
BALANCE IS KEY
meaning dont cheap out on cpu hoping the gpu will carry it, give your system the tools it needs to do its job, mabye look into qa bundle deal on ebay or similar, you want a quad core, the only dually worth anything nowdays is the i3 and tomorows different again, you see?

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
See here's the thing - I'm not cheaping out on the CPU, I WANT to get a Pentium - it's replacing my Pentium 4 system so I wanna continue the Pentium name with my system. And actually, a Core i3 is really just a Pentium with Hyper Threading & some new technology.
EDIT: Also, I'm a strong believer that the quad core CPU won't be necessary until everything is heavily multithreaded - I believe a dual core, so long as the architecture is new, can keep up to a quad core in regular tasks.

johnsonjohnson

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
When I hear the word "Pentium", this immediately comes to my mind. I know it doesn't exactly answer your question. What about the HD 7850/8850? ;)
CPU-scaling.png

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Well I don't plan to play Far Cry 3, but more so like Counter Strike Global Offensive, Fallout New Vegas, Bioshock, maybe Crysis 1 & 2, Max Payne 3- at least medium settings you know? Nothing too demanding.

There is nothing wrong with a Pentium G for gaming it is still a good CPU and won't bottleneck most GPU epseically not low end gaming cards like a 7770 or 650/650Ti. If anything I would go with a more powerful video card.

Solution

cmi86

Distinguished
I hear so many people talk about how many programs are threaded to take advantage of multiple cores and that is not even the point at all. Who only does one thing at a time on their computers... exactly, no one. Many people run a game, a browser with a bunch of tabs some with flash, a media player, a downloading program and handfulls of other programs simultaniously. A quad is going to have a massive advantage in system performance while multi tasking. Seriously Payturr just spend the money and get a decent i5.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Thanks rds, thats just what I needed to hear :) And again, to CMI, I understand the whole CPU industry & whats best for who & what not, and I recommend CPUs to people daily, I just want a system based around the Pentium just so I can keep the name alive, because its a successor system to my Pentium 4 rig. I like i5s and all but I want a tribute machine to my P4 rig!

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

When you have money to throw around, it doesn't really matter - besides, the Pentium G isn't too shabby for what it is! Pretty strong CPU actually, considering its just an i3 with no working HT.

johnsonjohnson

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Eating your own cooking. I respect that.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

No, I haven't been using a P4 system for gaming - no AGP slot so. On top of that, the new system is gonna be the G860, not the P4. And I love my P4.
@keith12: How am I delusional?

Yea so your point is? He didn't mention anything about about video editing or anything else that would CPU intensive he wants to play games.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

I know a P4 isn't the best but all I do on the system is webbrowse, besides this I have a junky A4 laptop which is okay for gaming. There's nothing wrong with the Pentium G - I don't wanna pair it with like a 690, I just wanna know if I could put it with like a 7870/8870 with no bottlenecks.

Lol the I3 should beat out the a lower ranked Pentium G just like an I5 should beat out a lower ranked I3 and Pentium G. Also in most of those games it is only a few FPS difference between the Pentium G ad I3.

40747.png

This is the biggest gap in the games benchmarked at a 5.2 FPS difference. Still that is one game and it isn't that bad

40757.png

.3 percent difference really that is barely worth mentioning

40750.png

This is another gap but still 4.5 isn't that bad

40751.png

Again only a 1.7 FPS difference.

For games no. The I3 has the edge because it is a stronger CPU. Games don't make use of hyperthreading and it doesn't really increase performance. If anything it can give up to a 2% performance penelty in games For CPU intensive programs like video encoding the I3's hyperthreading will help and give a further edge over the Pentium.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Well I meant for gaming its a very slight strength. I don't do video encoding so I'll never know the differences. :p I was just staying that once you put hyper threading aside its really the same CPU - same cache, almost the same clockspeed, stuff like that.

stanistheman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hey op i know you want a pentium although what you think about the 965 black edition when overclocked its perfomance would out perfom the pentium with no problems at all and it a quad core. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727 and its only like 20dollars more imo if your looking to save money thats a MUCH better choice buts its your money

Unless you plan to upgrade the pentium to a i5 then i would say get the intel board

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
The 965BE is a nice processor, but its too old for my taste - its age shows its poor efficiency compared to a modern processor, and on top of that, it bottlenecks most GPUs you put it with unless you get a 4/4.2GHz overclock out of it. I plan to go Pentium because, again, I'm replacing my Pentium 4 machine with a new one and I want to keep the Pentium name going - the G860 is a great processor for the price, and obviously can do laps around my P4, plus it's not too shabby for my intentions (gaming & this forum).

stanistheman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Well thats true but rember a 4.2ghz 965 is MUCH Faster and its a quad core. but your heart is set. :p