Sign in with
Your question

Cooling question

Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2012 9:15:44 PM

Question:

When gaming my cpu is running at aprox 70c, this is leaving no room to OC because it gets too hot (im under the impression I should not let my cpu run above 75c. Plz review my sys specs and any feedback you may have for me would be sincerely appreciated,

Thank you

System specs:
mobo - GA-z77x-UD5H
CPU - I7 3770k
memory - 16gb of corsair XMS3 1600 mhz
gpu - radeon 7950
case - cool master storm trooper case w/ a corsair H80 Liquid cpu cooler,

Thanks

More about : cooling question

December 31, 2012 9:35:24 PM

How can it be 70 if you have water cooling???????
m
l
December 31, 2012 10:54:51 PM

How old is the computer? You should check for dust and reapply the thermal paste (depending how old it is). And do you have enough space around your case for the air flow or is it somewhere under the desk? What is your PSU?
m
l
Related resources
a c 116 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 11:11:07 PM

trum_0909 said:
How can it be 70 if you have water cooling???????

Closed loop coolers like that H80 dont cool any better than equivalent air coolers, especially the single rad ones. A H60 only cools as well as a Hyper 212 EVO.

To me its seems as if the thermal paste has dried out or you have a bad mount. Pull the cooler off, clean and repaste the CPU and Block and re-mount it properly.

If that doesnt work its most likely an airflow issue.
m
l
January 1, 2013 6:29:16 PM

Thank you for your replies,

My cpu idles at low 30s but the 70s get reached when im doing stress testing at 100% of cpu using AIDA 64 for stress test. The thermal paste on the H80 came pre applied so i just stuck it on, maybe buy thermal paste, take off unit and re apply?

Air flow isnt out of the question either as i have confined space, my pc sits below my desk and half of the tower is on the plastic my chair rolls back and forth on, the oher half is on top of carpet. (I suppose i could find something solid to keep under it but none the less only space is below my desk).

based on this info do you think the h80 has to be reapplied? appreciate all the help, this community is awesome, thanks again
m
l
January 1, 2013 6:35:19 PM

manofchalk said:
Closed loop coolers like that H80 dont cool any better than equivalent air coolers, especially the single rad ones. A H60 only cools as well as a Hyper 212 EVO.

To me its seems as if the thermal paste has dried out or you have a bad mount. Pull the cooler off, clean and repaste the CPU and Block and re-mount it properly.

If that doesnt work its most likely an airflow issue.

Didnt know that thanks
m
l
January 1, 2013 8:52:28 PM

I never trust the pre applied paste, I always go with MX4 although there are plenty of others that work good such as Arctic Silver.
I would check the mount and the paste first and then go from there.

I have heard good reviews of CM Storm Trooper on air flow so unless it is jammed under the table with no space around it for air flow I dont think its that. Your should try running a stress test while computer is on top the desk after changing thermal paste and blowing all the dust off.
m
l
!