Looking through some spare parts I've acquired over the last year and thinking I might put together a DVR/HTPC. I don't have cable/satellite, so this would primarily serve as a DVR for broadcast TV and probably some music streaming.
Approximate Purchase Date: now (from newegg or Microcenter.)
Budget Range: No real budget, but trying to do it on the cheap
System Usage from Most to Least Important: record and playback OTA tv
Are you buying a monitor: No (Playback on 55" LG LED TV)
This is what I have:
Biostar A780L3B (AMD, 95 watt max processor)
ATI TV Wonder tuner / remote
Windows 7 (Media Center)
Maybe Case, but I like to build PCs into furniture, so...
1. What processor would you recommend? Thinking about Athlon II X3 or A4 Llano
2. What's a good power supply choice? I'm a fan of the Corsair Builder Series, but 430 watts seems overkill.
3. Anything I haven't thought of? I have a 3D Bluray player, so don't need that capability here.
4. Have I lost my mind or will this work? Any problems outputting quality HD to the TV from this setup?
2 - any PS that is Silver, at least Bronze certified will do
3 - control?
4- How far will the distance from the machine to your TV be?
3. I'm hoping the tuner remote will handle most of the control functions. I do have a wireless keyboard/mouse I can use if it comes to that.
4. 4ft HDMI cable from the PC up through the wall to TV outlet. 1ft cable from wall outlet to TV.
A4 Llano is FM1 socket cpu so wont fit that board
i used a Silverstone ML03 Black Slim HTPC Case for my htpc build
with a Silverstone ST45SF 450W SFX power supply
slim line looks nice in my tv stand but downside need low profile cards