Quick question

tson830

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I purchased a prebuilt computer around the end of May, and I have replaced the power supply and graphics card since. I encountered a problem that I think may be the motherboard, but I'm not entirely sure.

My setup is:

AMD fx-4100
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Gigabyte M68MT-S2 AM3+ Socket
8GB RAM
Corsair GS800 800w power supply
1TB hard drive

Around 2 days ago, I tried to start up one of my games, and it crashed almost immediately. So I decided to try a few more games, and they all crashed. Also, every time I would go into a game, I would start to hear a clicking/popping noise through my headset, and it would sometimes cause the sound to come out of only one ear, eventually leading to the sound cutting out completely. I tried multiple headsets, so I'm fairly sure it has something to do with the computer (I'm thinking it is the motherboard). The motherboard has integrated sound.

I dont know if this is related to the problem above, but my computer used to be able to run through MSI kombustor without an issue, and now it crashes when it gets to the PhysX test for the GPU. I ran MSI kombustor with my 6870 as well as the 6670 I used to use, and they both crashed at the same spot, which makes me think that it is not a problem with my graphics cards.

Other than these two problems, my computer runs fine. I don't want to replace my mobo if I don't have to, but I honestly have no idea what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you guys need more info just let me know.

lol, it's NEVER the cpu.

Agree with Outlander's comment about uninstall/reinstall the video driver. Aside: how hard were you overclocking the video card and were you playing with card voltage ?

Go into device manager (google it) and look for any indication of conflicts (yellow markings like exclamation points).

Run DXDIAG (google it).

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

The "That's what you get for buying an AMD cpu..." part was just a joke and yes...sometimes the problem is the CPU, CPU&GPU manufacturing defects are everyday things.

tson830

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I've uninstalled the video card drivers, cleaned it with driver sweeper, then reinstalled them. I also reset the bios, reinstalled directx, and did multiple system restores.

To tsnor: I haven't overclocked the video card at all, and I dont play with the voltage (I figured my system was good enough to not need OC)

I've ran dxdiag multiple times, it didn't show any problems.

When I open games, it starts fine, then I hear popping through my headset, then the sound cuts out (sometimes to one ear, most of the time it cuts out 100%) and then the games freeze up and eventually crash to the desktop. Sometimes, when I watch a video on youtube, the sound cuts to one ear, or it cuts out completely.

I've been using AMD Vision Engine Control Center to update the drivers

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

When you experience the sound cuts nothing happens to the video right?? i might be your motherboard's sound card, buy a cheap sound card from newegg or a local store to test

tson830

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
The video is also a problem as well as the sound now, after ~30 seconds of being in a game, the sound cut out and the graphics were messed up, then the game crashed. Graphics and sound are also being glitchy when I'm on youtube.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Then it's not a motherboard problem... something is definitely faulty in your system

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

i highly doubt is your PSU... they don't cause this kind of problem.

we can rull out the GPUs because the other one had the same problem... what stayed?

PSU
RAM
CPU
Motherboard

Right? so it has to be one of them.

PSU failures dont cause that so the problem is your CPU, RAM or motherboard.

99% of the time this is a software driver problem. Maybe you accepted a hardware driver from Windows update that was not the correct one.

Go back to the manufacturer web site support page "prebuilt computer". Reload the Audio and Video drivers that are correct for your PC. See if it gets better. If the builder does not provide drivers than you have a part list for the MB and video card. Load the sound driver from the MB support page, video driver from AMD.

tson830

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I'm in the process of downloading the audio driver for my mobo.

Also, I ran through memtest for a little over 3 hours (had to stop, had a thunderstorm so I turned it off) and i didnt get any errors.

EDIT: after installing the audio/video drivers, it still won't load any game, could this be a sign that my cpu is failing? Is there a way to test that?

This is not a heat issue either, gpu temp idles at 40c, cpu idles at 20c

tson830

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I'm not sure if this helps to determine the problem, but when I run prime95, workers 3 and 4 both stop immediately with many "ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT" error messages. It used to be able to run for awhile without getting any errors.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Hmmm...strange

i found this

(sum of the input FFT values)2 = (sum of the output IFFT values)

Since we are using floating point numbers we must change the "equals sign" above to "approximately equals". If the two values differ by a substantial amount, then you get a SUMINP != SUMOUT error as described in the readme.txt file. If the sum of the input FFT values is an illegal floating point value such as infinity, then you get an ILLEGAL SUMOUT error. Unfortunately, these error checks cannot catch all errors, which brings us to our next section.

Edit: try increasing the voltage of your CPU a little bit and reduce its clock

tson830

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I upped the voltage .05 and reduced the clock from 3600 to 3300, and I'm still getting hardware errors from prime95.

Strange though, cause I'm able to run my games now, although the audio is still a tiny bit glitchy

EDIT: if i try to turn the clock back up to 3600 the games wont run at all, but if i leave it at 3300 they seem to run fine

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Probably... try reducing the clock to 2.9-3 and increase the voltage a LITTLE bit more.

tson830

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
BIOS has my vcore normally set at 1.41 so I don't want to increase it if I dont need to.

What processor would you recommend if i had to get a new one? (has to be amd unfortunately)

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

FX 6 or FX 8

Return voltage to defaults. You are not overclocking. If voltage helps thats a warantee return issue.

Download and run "ultimate boot CD" then run prime95 from that boot load and see if you still get <workers 3 and 4 both stop immediately with many "ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT" error messages.> This still doesn't sound like a hardware problem.

If things get too bad, you can do a factory restore to get your PC exactly as it was when shipped to you. This will lose your photos, music, etc. unless you back them up before. You will need to reinstall programs.

Aside: Do you use an antivirus? If not then there are several free AVs available. I use Microsfot Security Essentials. Here are soome other rated http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-free-antivirus-2012,review-1767.html

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

i assume the OP has a antivirus installed.... anyways, a cheap/free antivirus will not help.

@op: go here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=prive&page=1

99% This is NOT a hardware error

Download video drivers directly from AMD .
Return all voltages to stock . Return all mb BIOS settings to defaults

and confirm its not hardware by installing Ubuntu Linux . This wont damage windows if you create a small partition for it when you make the install .
The linux installation wont have the same errors ....or it will . And you will know instantly if its hardware or software

tson830

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Yes, I have sufficient antivirus on this computer.

One more thing to note, now when I run OCCT (i have no idea if its reliable, but I used it to monitor temps) and I run the cpu stress test on it, the test stops after a minute saying it found an error on one of the cores (core # changes every time i test it, not sure if that means anything)

I'll set up linux tomorrow (well, later today), although I've never used linux before. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to use it though

TRENDING THREADS