Sign in with
Your question

How to use a built in mic of a headphones?

Last response: in Components
December 31, 2012 11:07:37 PM

I was also curious to what I would need in order to get the microphone on the cable of a Bose QC15 to work with my computer? I have a mic and a 3.5 jack on the computer but how do I get it to recognize that the Bose has microphonic capabilities via cable? I only have on board sound.

More about : built mic headphones

January 1, 2013 1:57:19 AM

Your on-board audio should have an output jack (headphones) and an input jack (Mic or line level...often selectable via software).

You probably need to get the audio from the mic in the headphones to the input on your computer, and make sure the computer is set for mic input. (Line input probably won't "hear" mic audio because it's such a weak signal.)

Did your headphones come with an adapter that separates input audio from output audio?
m
l
January 1, 2013 2:03:47 AM

Z1NONLY said:
Your on-board audio should have an output jack (headphones) and an input jack (Mic or line level...often selectable via software).

You probably need to get the audio from the mic in the headphones to the input on your computer, and make sure the computer is set for mic input. (Line input probably won't "hear" mic audio because it's such a weak signal.)

Did your headphones come with an adapter that separates input audio from output audio?

Thanks for your reply!

I have these:

5.5 ft QC®15 inline remote and microphone cable
5.5 ft audio cable

The first one is intended for Apple iPhone products so that I can use my headphones and talk at the same time. But that's the phone figuring out it's receiving two signals instead of just one.

The headphones did not come with an adapter that separates input audio from output audio. What are those called? Where could I find one?

I'm running completely stock audio settings (not sure if getting a soundcard for headphones usage would be beneficial if I don't have surround sound 7.1 headphones or anything fancy like that) on an Intel i7 and GA mobo. I don't even think I have any software installed specifically for the sound (ie. not sure how I'd go about changing the audio settings from line to mic and such). I do have the output jack and input/mic jacks on my computer (I have a green and pink and blue if I recall correctly jacks on the back of the computer). Thoughts?

EDIT: I searched online, is this what I need? But would the ostensibly cheap cable adapter reduce my sound quality from the headphones?

EDIT2: I believe I also have this here. Would that work for me?
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2013 2:09:18 AM

I'm not sure how Bose went about doing it with their headsets.

If you can't find anything on line, try contacting Bose and telling them what you are trying to do. They have probably got this question before and have an answer for you.

m
l
January 1, 2013 2:14:31 AM

Z1NONLY said:
I'm not sure how Bose went about doing it with their headsets.

If you can't find anything on line, try contacting Bose and telling them what you are trying to do. They have probably got this question before and have an answer for you.

Alright, will do. Thanks!
m
l
!