PSU for Radeon HD 6870

So I just got my 6870 in the mail. I put it in the computer case and then realize that my PSU is not gonna work. I have a 500w Ark Technology PSU but there are no 6-pin connectors to go to the graphics card. It requires 2 6-pin connectors. Should I buy a whole new PSU? And if so, which one? Also, can I just buy an adapter to make the 4pin molex into a 6-pin connector? There are only 3 of the 4pin molex on my current PSU, so would I be ok getting 2 adapters and just power the Hard Drive with SATA and use the 1 free 4pin molex for the dvd drive? I'm only gonna have 1 hard drive and a DVD burner, nothing else special in the case. The motherboard is a Biostar H61MHB. Thanks for the help!
11 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6870
  1. yes you can use a 4pin molex to 6 pin
    you dont need a new psu
    i'm surprised your 6870 didnt come with adapters
  2. Thanks for the reply. I would really love to keep my psu but I just don't see how it would work because there are only 3 of the 4 pin connectors on the psu. If I use two of them for the gpu, theres only one left. I still need to power the hard drive and dvd drive.
  3. you said you had sata power connectors use those
  4. even if you have a 4pin molex to 6 pin the grphics card wont function correctly
    because your PSU is very low quality
    i suggest 500w seasonic or FSP or any other good brand
  5. he doesnt have a lot of things connected to his psu
    it will be fine unless he tries overclocking
  6. Just buy the adapters and you should be fine.
  7. coper210 said:
    Just buy the adapters and you should be fine.

thats what i'm saying :)
  8. robertg231 said:
    you said you had sata power connectors use those

Ok, wasn't sure if that would work or not. I'm kinda new at this so sorry if I say something stupid
  9. robertg231 said:
    he doesnt have a lot of things connected to his psu
    it will be fine unless he tries overclocking

Don't plan on overclocking at all
  10. this power supply would probably reach its limit at a load of 250 W on the 12 V rail.
  11. rbj8611 said:
    Ok, wasn't sure if that would work or not. I'm kinda new at this so sorry if I say something stupid

it's ok
    and it wasnt stupid
    i started just like you asking a bunch of questions and i still do
    also since you're not overclocking it will be fine
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics