Is WoW viable on dial-up?

Hello,

I am finally getting a new PC that will be able to run WoW (my current
PC is five years old, to give a hint). The only thing that might be an
issue would be the internet connection, a 56k modem.

Is this really do-able with a modem? I'm not so much worried about
day-to-day playing as I am downloading patches. Does anyone else play
the game on dial-up and can they give advice?

Thanks for your time.

Take it and run.

Earl Allison

I played wow on a (fairly high-powered) notebook over dialup when I was
on vacation. I was surprised at how well it worked.

Of course, Blizz decided to patch the game during the last part of my
vacation. THAT was extemely painful, since it was a 40+ Meg download.
I think it took me about 10 hours to download the patch.

-Alan

In article <1123028878.290735.109940@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Earl Allison" <eallison@tiac.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am finally getting a new PC that will be able to run WoW (my current
> PC is five years old, to give a hint). The only thing that might be an
> issue would be the internet connection, a 56k modem.
>
> Is this really do-able with a modem? I'm not so much worried about
> day-to-day playing as I am downloading patches. Does anyone else play
> the game on dial-up and can they give advice?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Take it and run.
>
> Earl Allison

I played over dial-up since retail release (November?), and it was fine.
Patches hurt, tho - I'd just let them run overnight.

Like others have said, IF or Orgrimmar can be painfully slow, during
peak hours, and I saw a tendency to be booted off the server during
raids, not high end ones, just run of the mill Crossroads raids. When
things got busy, my screen would slow to a crawl, sometimes locking up.
I would'nt do any Molten Core or Onyxia raids over dialup.

It's do-able, tho, I give lots of credit to the guys at Blizzard for
making it possible.

Earl Allison wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am finally getting a new PC that will be able to run WoW (my current
> PC is five years old, to give a hint). The only thing that might be an
> issue would be the internet connection, a 56k modem.
>
> Is this really do-able with a modem? I'm not so much worried about
> day-to-day playing as I am downloading patches. Does anyone else play
> the game on dial-up and can they give advice?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Take it and run.
>
> Earl Allison

I was able to do the Molten Core raids while I was on a modem, but
Alterac Valley was unworkable.

On 2 Aug 2005 17:27:58 -0700, "Earl Allison" <eallison@tiac.net>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am finally getting a new PC that will be able to run WoW (my current
>PC is five years old, to give a hint). The only thing that might be an
>issue would be the internet connection, a 56k modem.
>
>Is this really do-able with a modem? I'm not so much worried about
>day-to-day playing as I am downloading patches. Does anyone else play
>the game on dial-up and can they give advice?
>
>Thanks for your time.

It will be ALOT easier if you play Horde, due to the horrible,
horrible IF lag with everyone outside the AH messing around.

Of course you should be Horde anyways by default ;-)

--
"Nintendo could have been making all the mistakes in the world before.
But because they were up against Sega, nobody noticed"