"RUN AS" How do I turn it off??

Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
"running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks for
permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??

I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can I
delete it without doing any harm?
Regards
6 answers Last reply
More about turn

    See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Run As Dialog Opens When Double Clicking a Shortcut.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:d8cc0n$nr6$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
    > "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks for
    > permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
    > and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
    > place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
    >
    > I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can I
    > delete it without doing any harm?
    > Regards

    You are a **STAR** , DK, your prog works brilliantly, and your site is now
    in my bookmarks. No more annoying pop-ups and time-wasting.
    Cheers, R

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
    > "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks
    > for
    > permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
    > and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
    > place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
    >
    > I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can
    > delete it without doing any harm?
    > Regards

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell

    Make sure there is no default values set.

    "Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:d8cc0n$nr6$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
    > "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks for
    > permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
    > and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
    > place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
    >
    > I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can I
    > delete it without doing any harm?
    > Regards

    Where do I need to go to find the file: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell"
    please? Sorry for my ignorance, but I am a windows novice when things begin
    to get technical.
    Cheers. R

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell

    Make sure there is no default values set.

    "Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
    > "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks
    > for
    > permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
    > and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
    > place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
    >
    > I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can
    > delete it without doing any harm?
    > Regards

    Type regedit in Start Run

    "Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:d8cs4t$nnp$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > Where do I need to go to find the file: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell"
    > please? Sorry for my ignorance, but I am a windows novice when things begin
    > to get technical.
    > Cheers. R
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell
    >
    > Make sure there is no default values set.

    > "Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
    > > "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks
    > > for
    > > permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
    > > and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
    > > place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
    > >
    > > I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can
    > > delete it without doing any harm?
    > > Regards

    Thanks, Rich. Glad to help.

    "Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:d8d560$j3i$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > You are a **STAR** , DK, your prog works brilliantly, and your site is now
    > in my bookmarks. No more annoying pop-ups and time-wasting.
    > Cheers, R
    >

    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Run As Dialog Opens When Double Clicking
    > a Shortcut.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > Display\Security
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
    >> "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks
    >> for
    >> permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
    >> and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
    >> place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
    >>
    >> I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can
    >> delete it without doing any harm?
    >> Regards

Configuration Command Prompt Customization Windows XP