Bought new PSU and gaming FPS dropped?

Hello all new user here!

Just a quick question I just upgraded my PSU from a Dynex 520W to a Thermaltake 600W store bought from BestBuy. I will include my system details below but I installed this new PSU as I ordered a new GPU and it's in the mail but today when I installed the new PSU I actually noticed a DROP in FPS in one of the games I was playing (Napoleon Total War). Now before it was running smooth as silk and when I added the new PSU I changed no settings and the FPS took a drop and there is noticable lag in battles and throughout the game. Any ideas?

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom IIx4 965 (Deneb) @ 3.4
GPU: Nvidia GTX 550 Ti
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W
MOBO: CG1330 ASUS (Stock)
6 answers Last reply
More about bought gaming dropped
  1. Swap the old one back it is just as good as TT. Most likely you bumped something loose maybe the GPU.
  2. I was actually thinking about doing this do you think a 520w psu will suffice for a new gtx 660ti card? The only other thing i have drawing power is a chassis fan?
  3. I fear you are dealing with poor quality power supplies.
    Dynex is a tier 5 unit(not recommended, replace asap) on this list.
    The thermaltake may be no better, depending on the model and sample.

If a psu can not deliver the necessary power, the graphics card will not run full out

Your GTX550ti needs only a 400w psu.
    A gtx660ti needs only a bit more at 450W.
    Here is a handy chart:

Since the dynex was working OK, you might as well keep it.
    In the future, look for a tier 1 or 2 card.
    A psu is not a good place to economize.
  4. The card calls for 450watts for the system
  5. Thank you all very much i saw that the 660ti called for only 450 but wanted to be on the safe side as i have upgraded the cpu already once and the chassis fan has been added
  6. Just swapped the Dynex 520 back in and so far I think my problem has been solved. Using the same settings on Napoleon the battles run about as smooth as they did before. I understand that I shouldn't skimp when it comes to buying PSUs but Dynex isn't exactly top of the line either and it's pretty sad that a brand new Thermaltake 600 performs like this. Thanks again guys.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies FPS Thermaltake Components