Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

New home build, final check

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 17, 2012 8:23:22 AM

I think I've got the components all good to go for this build after plenty of feeback and research. Stayed just barely within my $1500 budget for this gaming PC! Let me know what you think guys and gals:

CASE: Rosewill R5 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
HS: HYPER 212 Evo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600
HHD: WD 1TB Caviar Black
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB
GPU: ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5
PSU: Corsair TX650
OPT: ASUS 24x DVD Burner
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
+varius cables, fans, blah blah blah

total: $1500 shipped

I looked at the extreme6 for this build as well, but didn't really pick up on differences. Suggestions/Comments?

Thanks!

More about : home build final check

August 17, 2012 8:25:57 AM

Wow...you did an amazing job picking out those parts, seriously, good job!
Score
0
Anonymous
August 17, 2012 8:31:22 AM

it appears the extreme 6 has a mini PCI slot for an SSD or wireless.

great looking build.
Score
0
Related resources
August 17, 2012 8:40:14 AM

Would not a gtx680 and i7 would be better

actually as you did a pretty much good job that i can not find anything but upgrade

However for this much investment another 200bucks can be added.

Just a suggestion.
Score
0
August 17, 2012 8:50:20 AM

nibir2011 said:
Would not a gtx680 and i7 would be better

actually as you did a pretty much good job that i can not find anything but upgrade

However for this much investment another 200bucks can be added.

Just a suggestion.


The GTX 680 is only ~5-7% faster than the GTX 670 and the i7 is useless for gaming.
Score
0
August 18, 2012 10:03:41 PM

aqualipt said:
The GTX 680 is only ~5-7% faster than the GTX 670 and the i7 is useless for gaming.


I think i did not say anything about gaming

People sometimes may wanna do something other than gaming
Score
0
August 18, 2012 10:07:47 PM

nibir2011 said:
I think i did not say anything about gaming

People sometimes may wanna do something other than gaming


Well...even worse, the GTX670/680 SUCK for GPGPU applications, they may have CUDA but a old GTX560 SE beats it. Get a 7970 if you want to do professional sht.
Score
0
Anonymous
August 18, 2012 11:51:56 PM

nibir2011 said:
I think i did not say anything about gaming

People sometimes may wanna do something other than gaming

if you are not going to game then forget getting a kepler gpu (the 600 series of nVidia cards) get a gtx 570 or 7850 instead for $225 -$250 and use the extra cash for an i7.
Score
0
August 19, 2012 12:07:31 AM

Well "Nibir" this wasnt your post read the top it is drifterentials. Good trolling to you though. I like the AMD line of GPUs 7870s vs the GTX 660 Fermi. Not much of a price difference but the Radeon is better performance than the 660. Also you can save about $200 if you go with a Phenom II 960 (Black Edition) and an AMD chipset MB like the Gibabyte 990FX with 4 PCI-E slots (2x16) then the $ you save you can get another 7870 video card.
Score
0
Anonymous
August 19, 2012 12:12:30 AM

SikkoB said:
Well "Nibir" this wasnt your post read the top it is drifterentials. Good trolling to you though. I like the AMD line of GPUs 7870s vs the GTX 660 Fermi. Not much of a price difference but the Radeon is better performance than the 660. Also you can save about $200 if you go with a Phenom II 960 (Black Edition) and an AMD chipset MB like the Gibabyte 990FX with 4 PCI-E slots (2x16) then the $ you save you can get another 7870 video card.

:lol: 
shame on me

though there is no comparison between a PIIx960 BE and an i5.
Score
0
August 19, 2012 12:29:15 AM

Anonymous said:
:lol: 
shame on me

though there is no comparison between a PIIx960 BE and an i5.


True, but you can overclock the BE easily to 3.6GHz which would be your difference :) 
Score
0
Anonymous
August 19, 2012 12:47:04 AM

SikkoB said:
True, but you can overclock the BE easily to 3.6GHz which would be your difference :) 

not by a long shot . . . :heink: 
however i will agree that it is the best AMD gaming choice.
Score
0
August 19, 2012 1:39:15 PM

I think people at toms hardware are not getting any brighter. I mean are these the same people who were actually great in what they did And also helped people. Most importantly they were polite and did good things other than fighting.

First see my post i said his pc was good enough for playing games

So i think his gaming needs were fulfilled. So i suggested him about other things like video encoding or running heavy applications.

I know amd gpus are better for computing and other stuff but his primary choice was nvidia so i thought he likes nvidia more. Also for gaming nvidia is better. Also it has many techs that amd do not have for gaming.

And about i7 i think i do not need to clear myself who understands will understand.

And most importantly it was a honest suggestion. So what is the benefit of fighting over it.

It is almost a year since i have been in the site. Never seen someone arguing over a useless fact
Score
0
August 19, 2012 5:26:39 PM

I was making an observation nibir, and I was also stating my opinion not fighting lol.

I am going through a rebuild myself as my MB died a couple weeks ago. I have built 4 PCs myself and know what I want to get out of it without spending a ton of money 3 of which were Intel, and 1 AMD. AMD has more of a cult following because Nvidea controls the marketing, people are told what is good and generally they do not research it for themselves. You can look for yourself on anandtech.com and compare the GTX 670 GTX ($450+) to the 7870 ($289-$330) and see that at higher resoultions they compare close together. Which is why I suggested the AMD processor and spending what you save on another card.
Score
0
August 19, 2012 7:18:32 PM

SikkoB said:
I was making an observation nibir, and I was also stating my opinion not fighting lol.

I am going through a rebuild myself as my MB died a couple weeks ago. I have built 4 PCs myself and know what I want to get out of it without spending a ton of money 3 of which were Intel, and 1 AMD. AMD has more of a cult following because Nvidea controls the marketing, people are told what is good and generally they do not research it for themselves. You can look for yourself on anandtech.com and compare the GTX 670 GTX ($450+) to the 7870 ($289-$330) and see that at higher resoultions they compare close together. Which is why I suggested the AMD processor and spending what you save on another card.


i have nothing against you mate

now i see many people arguing over useless things

the tone[not yours specifically] sounded like that to me

in tomshardware it is all about politeness

and i think i cleared myself about amd and nvidia
better stop here before people start a fanfight lol
Score
0
August 19, 2012 7:29:23 PM

nibir2011 said:
i have nothing against you mate

now i see many people arguing over useless things

the tone[not yours specifically] sounded like that to me

in tomshardware it is all about politeness

and i think i cleared myself about amd and nvidia
better stop here before people start a fanfight lol


It was a misunderstanding on both of our parts :) 

I was a big Intel/Radeon fan. I was looking to XFire for the first time to save some money and for the life of me I couldnt find an Intel board that allows PCI-E 16x16. However AMD boards it is pretty common among the 990FX versions. With that said, users can use that money get an intel/nvidea board with 1x16 and a top of the line card now.
Score
0
August 19, 2012 9:26:18 PM

nibir2011 said:
his primary choice was nvidia so i thought he likes nvidia more. Also for gaming nvidia is better. Also it has many techs that amd do not have for gaming.


TBH...i don't think that anyone in this forum give a F about that... we do not support fanboyism... only facts.
Score
0
August 20, 2012 2:02:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
0
!