Sign in with
Your question

Need help installing fans with multiple connectors

Last response: in Components
January 1, 2013 1:53:52 AM

I'm building my first PC and I need help installing the fans.

I bought Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 fans which come with multiple connectors. The only connector that looks like I might be able to use right now is the 2-pin male molex. I have 4-pin female molex connectors but no 2-pin. Some say you can connect 2-pin male directly to 4-pin female, some say you can't. I tried it and connected the other end of the 4-pin female connector to the PSU and the fan won't spin.
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 5:14:15 AM

I "kinda" understand what you mean just need some sort of drawing to clarify everything ...

don't know how this thing works ... anyway look at it

- The Brownie
m
l
January 1, 2013 11:27:02 AM

No it's the opposite. My Delta fans have the molex with the black and red wires and not the yellow and black wires.

To be more specific, the fans have a pair of blue and red wires alongside a black wire coming out of them. The blue and red wires have a 3-pin female jumper at the end. The black wire has a metal thing at the end, don't know what it's for.

The 3-pin female jumper is connected to a 3-pin male jumper, which has a yellow wire alongside a pair of black and red wires. The yellow wire has another 3-pin female jumper at the end. The red and black wires have the 2-pin male molex at the end.
m
l
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 11:54:07 AM

Building a hover craft ?

4 pin HDD connector ( Molex ) with red ( 12v ) and black (Grd) wire, for power direct from the psu, the motherboard headers can't handle the 30 watts those fans may need
3 pin fan connector with blue wire, for monitoring RPMs, connects to the motherboard fan header

m
l
January 1, 2013 12:57:13 PM

I'm going to install the AFB1212GHE-CF00 fans on a 120mm x 4 radiator.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 1:01:10 PM

laigromi said:
I'm going to install the AFB1212GHE-CF00 fans on a 120mm x 4 radiator.

Those are some crazy high speed fans to be mounting on a rad, which one ?
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:10:34 PM

I just realized the black wire with the metal thing at the end is loose and it's supposed to be plugged into the back of the 3-pin female jumper along with the blue and red wires.
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:46:34 PM

I have the Black Ice GTX 480...

Okay, I didn't want to say it because I didn't want to be lectured or ridiculed, but to tell you the truth, I bought 2 of these...and 8 of those. Crazy high speed fans to be mounting on a rad are exactly what I wanted. I am a crazy rad high on speed.
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:50:42 PM

I just plugged in the loose metal end and tried again. It spins alright. Holy ***.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 2:03:40 PM

laigromi said:
I have the Black Ice GTX 480...

Okay, I didn't want to say it because I didn't want to be lectured or ridiculed, but to tell you the truth, I bought 2 of these...and 8 of those. Crazy high speed fans to be mounting on a rad are exactly what I wanted. I am a crazy rad high on speed.

My first loop had a pair of NMB's ( same kind of screamers ) on a BI2 240, thought I wouldn't care, but in the end it was too damn loud
m
l
January 1, 2013 2:33:05 PM

This first fan I was testing, either the connectors weren't very well put together or I just wasn't careful with it. On top of that loose metal end, 1 of the pins in the male molex had been pushed back into the hole when I tried to plug it into the female molex (I pulled it back out), and the other pin also seems a bit bent now. Well, at least it works.

So now that I got past this, I need to mount them on the radiator. Actually, maybe I should just stick with 1 radiator for now.

I still might need help on this. I was already having problems figuring out the case fans on my other PC.
m
l
January 1, 2013 2:44:56 PM

delluser1 said:
My first loop had a pair of NMB's ( same kind of screamers ) on a BI2 240, thought I wouldn't care, but in the end it was too damn loud

It won't be so bad once the fan controller is installed, right? I'm still thrilled with the power of these fans.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 5:02:18 PM

A fan controller would be cool for these but they are so loud and they spin so fast ... i can't figure out a fan controller on delta fans. People who buy delta fans generally don't care about the noise so they don't try to run them smoother than they are because they want a massive airflow. If you can't live with them just buy some quieter fans and they will absolutely do the job. Delta's on a radiator is extreme overkill ...

- The Brownie
m
l
January 5, 2013 12:29:36 PM

Bromeh said:
A fan controller would be cool for these but they are so loud and they spin so fast ... i can't figure out a fan controller on delta fans. People who buy delta fans generally don't care about the noise so they don't try to run them smoother than they are because they want a massive airflow. If you can't live with them just buy some quieter fans and they will absolutely do the job. Delta's on a radiator is extreme overkill ...

- The Brownie

Funny you should say that. The reason I bought a fan controller is because of all the reviews on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... urging people who wanted to buy this Delta fan to get a fan controller :lol: 

I tried turning 4 fans all the way up to see how loud it is. It's loud but I think I can live with it. I also tested them with the fan controller and it works alright, so if I do change my mind like delluser1, I can always turn them down.
m
l
January 5, 2013 1:03:15 PM

I'm still thinking about what you guys said. Still not sure what I should do. If the noise does start bothering me, maybe it's better if I have quieter fans turned all the way up instead of these Deltas turned down?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2013 3:57:15 AM

That's depends on which fan ...

Some fans spins at max 40dB and have around 90CFM which is good but some are a 90dB and push 40CFM ... You gotta take some great quality fans if you want something silent

- The Brownie
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2013 4:16:09 AM

I cant click or even copy the links.

- The Brownie
m
l
!