Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Water-Cooling issue

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2012 11:30:20 AM

I recently installed a Koolance Water-Cooling system in my computer. I have a pump/res combo that fits in a 5.25in drive bay.

I am concerned about my pump making more noise than it should.

I did a lot of research on water-cooling before I made this attempt. I know that the worst possible thing you can do is turn on the pump when there is no liquid in the system so I made sure that the pump had plenty of liquid in it before filling the loop.

The system has been running for about 2-3 hours, all the air is out of the loop and yet the pump is giving off this annoying humming sound.

Once again, I am almost positive that the pump was never exposed to only air for even a second.

Could it be that their is just some bubble still stuck in the actual pump that are causing this noise?

Please help, I am really worried that my pump is F@#ked.

Thanks in advance...PLEASE HELP! :cry: 

More about : water cooling issue

Best solution

August 17, 2012 1:52:31 PM

can you hear the liquid moving inside the pipes? or near the pump? if yes, you still got air in the system

humming, well it's normal for a motor to make a noise when it's working. Judging that this is custom made cooling system, it's possible that your pump is overloaded (undersized) which is causing it to make more noise than it should.

What kind of air separator does this system use or what method did you use to remove air from the system?

The reason you don't want to mix water with air, especially inside the pump is because air is compressible, while water isn't. The pressure buildup or the sudden shock of going from air to water can break things.
August 17, 2012 3:06:27 PM

AntiZig said:
can you hear the liquid moving inside the pipes? or near the pump? if yes, you still got air in the system

humming, well it's normal for a motor to make a noise when it's working. Judging that this is custom made cooling system, it's possible that your pump is overloaded (undersized) which is causing it to make more noise than it should.

What kind of air separator does this system use or what method did you use to remove air from the system?

The reason you don't want to mix water with air, especially inside the pump is because air is compressible, while water isn't. The pressure buildup or the sudden shock of going from air to water can break things.

The water is definitely moving in the system and as far as I can tell most of the air is out of the loop.

I can't imagine the pump is over worked as my cooling system is relatively small compared to some I've seen. its rated at 7 LPM and the fluid moves very fast.

My loop is as follows: Res > Pump (Combo) > 120mm Radiator > VGA > CPU > 240mm rad > Res

I have tried burping the system at every conceivable angle. I've opened the res while its running to release any pressure that may have built up.

This is driving me insane.

Thanks for responding
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2012 6:21:31 PM

It's a matter of how much head your system imposes and how much that pump can handle at set rpm.

When all/most of the air is gone from the system you shouldn't hear the water moving, it should be completely silent. (It's counter intuitive for some people, but that's how it is)

Are your temps ok? there's no thermal build up? If everything is ok, means the pump is working, so it might be just a defective motor. I'd get in touch with the vendor and ask them if this humming is normal or not. I'm sure they'll be happy to replace the pump for you.
m
l
August 17, 2012 6:40:43 PM

AntiZig said:
It's a matter of how much head your system imposes and how much that pump can handle at set rpm.

When all/most of the air is gone from the system you shouldn't hear the water moving, it should be completely silent. (It's counter intuitive for some people, but that's how it is)

Are your temps ok? there's no thermal build up? If everything is ok, means the pump is working, so it might be just a defective motor. I'd get in touch with the vendor and ask them if this humming is normal or not. I'm sure they'll be happy to replace the pump for you.

My temps are nothing short of mind blowing. Somehow my GTX 680 SuperClock is at 40-42C on full load, thats a 31C drop for 71C. I almost think its not reading the temps right but when I enable SLI the card hits 65C which is a 20C drop from Air Cooling so the temps are changing.

I called Koolance and it turns out I was running the pump at the highest setting which is 10. I turned it down to 5 like they recommended and its A LOT better; its not even noticeable over the fans.

So initially you were right, It was just the motor working extra hard. They said its the loudest of their pumps.

I'll tell you what, no amount of research can match personal experience. I researched water-cooing for months and still managed to make a noob mistake :pt1cable: 

Thanks for the responses!
m
l
August 17, 2012 6:42:52 PM

Best answer selected by halfblazed.
m
l
August 17, 2012 8:04:45 PM

ah so there's modulation circuit there, excellent pump. Enjoy the awesome temps :) 
m
l
!