Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best PSu for this system?

Last response: in Components
January 1, 2013 2:14:56 AM

So my current PSU is dying and i need a new one. The current one is nearly 4 years old and is a PC Power and Cooling Silencer Red 750 watts. It's weird how it is already done for but I live in Florida so a lot of surges and power outages happen since its tropical down south with storms, whether the PC is on or off.

My current build is this:

ASUS M3A78-T motherboard
AMD XFX 6970 2GB card
AMD Phenom X4 9950 quad core black edition @ 2.6 Ghz
4GB (2 X 2) of OCZ DDR3 RAM
Antec 900 case

But I'm going to try and upgrade soon to something like this (or better, if I wait for stronger tech to drop in price):

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 motherboard
AMD XFX 6970 2GB card
Intel i5-3570k CPU
16 GB RAM (2 X 8) Corsair DDR3
Antec 900 case (or 1200/new/better)

What is the best value PSU that has long life, reliability, and protection against surges/outages? Thanks

More about : psu system

a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 3:44:07 AM

for a protection against power surges id say get a good surge protection bar also no powersupply i know of has special power outage protection, whats ur budget?

January 1, 2013 4:17:55 AM

Alright that's fine, ill get one of those bars that has 7 or so outlets; or a UPS if I can get the money.

Budget is 130 bucks
Related resources
a c 254 ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 4:42:21 AM

PC Power and Cooling Silencers have 7 year warranties. I would try that before buying a new one.
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 4:46:16 AM

Cool. You learn something new everyday. You can't beat that kind of warranty.
January 1, 2013 6:04:12 AM

Ahhh yes, I shall in that case look into an RMA for it. I'm 100% positive the PSU is dying/dead because when I run a OTTC test, the system instantly crashes. I get no signal black screen with PC still running. This also happens randomly when playing games (except with ac3 I can't even get 20 seconds of playtime before a no signal crash)

Thanks guys
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 2:00:49 PM

well try to rma it if u still got the receipt and box with the serial number, or there should be a serial number on the ps.

if not for 120$ id recommand this if the rma fails.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1850bnlg...

xfx modular pc :)  850 watts made by seasonic :)  cant beat this kind of quality

January 1, 2013 2:17:17 PM

That's a beautiful psu thank you for that. Ill try to RMA albeit have no receipt (but I just RMA'd my 6970, no receipt needed).

In the case I buy another psu, would the awesome one you posted be better or the PC Power and Supply Silencer MKII 950 watts?
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 2:23:39 PM

the one i recommanded, also the pc power and cooling isnt modular -_-

a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 2:26:27 PM

While it has less power, Seasonic makes some of the BEST power supplies on the market.

Also with so many cables on higher end power supplies, modular(removable cables) can help clean up the inside of the case a lot if you are looking for that type of thing.

Either should give you more then enough power.
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 2:44:42 PM

yes well like i said, xfx has certain models made by seasonic and the one i recommanded is made by seasonic in terms of quality pc power and cooling used to be number one in my experience, but seasonic has equalize and surpassed them in quality imo, since been bought by ocz in 2007.

January 1, 2013 2:50:06 PM

The Silencer series only had a 5 year warranty.

You can request a support ticket via this link and under trouble priority request either information or technical support with your serial number to see if you are still under warranty.

http://www.pcpower.com/support/ticket.html

As far as protection goes it's good to have a surge protector or a UPS, with the UPS being the better choice if you can afford it. Just keep in mind that surge protectors need to be changed every few years or after a very bad surge.

I have the same power supply (Silencer 750w) in black though and I too live in Florida, I just recently purchased a UPS after not having one ever and I guess I've been lucky. Got it mainly for when summer comes around and the thunderstorms appear.

As far as a replacement for that unit if it is out of warranty here are a few.

Seasonic 650w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX 650w

PC Power and Cooling 600w

All above units are OEM Seaonic units.

PS - You will enjoy that upgrade, I had a 9950 BE clocked to 3.1ghz and the difference was night and day to me.
a c 254 ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 4:32:17 PM

iceclock said:
yes well like i said, xfx has certain models made by seasonic and the one i recommanded is made by seasonic in terms of quality pc power and cooling used to be number one in my experience, but seasonic has equalize and surpassed them in quality imo, since been bought by ocz in 2007.

All XFX power supplies are made by Seasonic and always have been as are all PC Power and Cooling models except the still excellent Silencer MK II series that's made by Sirtec and the Super Flower made 1200w Silencer MK III.

Best solution

a c 1107 ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 4:33:56 PM

I have a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Black) that died after 3 years of use. It was always connected to an APC 1300VA UPS. Even though that PSU is made by Seasonic with all Japanese capacitors, that isn't a guarantee that it won't have problems.

A UPS or a surge protector will not protect a PSU against self-destruction.

I RMA'd that PSU to OCZ Technology in Carlsbad, California (i.e. PC Power & Cooling's parent company) and they repaired it and shipped it back to me. The process took about three weeks in total.

Since I couldn't wait without my PC for a month I went and purchased a Corsair HX750 to use instead.

The Silencer 750 Quad is only used for troubleshooting purposes now.
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 5:22:08 PM

yes but ull notice since been bought from ocz the quality isnt as good,

January 1, 2013 6:40:09 PM

Alright sweet, thanks for the replies guys; I'm moving to college in 2 days but ill see if I can RMA when I'm there; you guys rock
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 7:33:02 PM

cheers :) 
January 11, 2013 3:11:14 AM

Best answer selected by SilentPhenomed.
!