Sign in with
Your question

Aftermarket fans case.

Last response: in Components
January 1, 2013 3:18:42 AM

Hello, everyone. my computer system has three aftermarket fans case. However, there is not enough power supply for those fans. I just can use one of them. Is there anyway I can use the remain two?
I am looking forward to receive your reply.
Happy new year and have a good day.

More about : aftermarket fans case

a c 131 ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 4:05:46 AM

What type of connectors do the fans have? There are basically three types, Molex (sometimes referred to as 4 pin), 3 pin and PWM (4 pin connector but smaller than molex). Most molex connectors have a pass-through adapter which allows multiple fans to be connected to the same power source. Three pin fans usually do not have such pass-throughs and can only be directly connected to a PSU through an adapter although many motherboards now have headers for 2 or more of those labelled as sys_fan1, or cha_fan1 etc. PWM fans are usually not used as case fans except in higher end quiet systems but can be used on 3 pin headers.
What fans, motherboard and case? I may be able to find options to power them
m
l
January 2, 2013 2:13:30 AM

C12Friedman said:
What type of connectors do the fans have? There are basically three types, Molex (sometimes referred to as 4 pin), 3 pin and PWM (4 pin connector but smaller than molex). Most molex connectors have a pass-through adapter which allows multiple fans to be connected to the same power source. Three pin fans usually do not have such pass-throughs and can only be directly connected to a PSU through an adapter although many motherboards now have headers for 2 or more of those labelled as sys_fan1, or cha_fan1 etc. PWM fans are usually not used as case fans except in higher end quiet systems but can be used on 3 pin headers.
What fans, motherboard and case? I may be able to find options to power them

Thank you very much for replying me.
This is the link to my fans: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The case is the Coolermaster HAF 912, and the motherboard is the Gigabyte 970A-DS3.

Hopefully, this can help you find out the solution for my fans. Thank you in advance, and HAPPY NEW YEAR. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 131 ) Power supply
January 2, 2013 2:45:22 AM

Those fans feature 3 pin connectors. They also have a PCI controller which may allow for controlling two fans (I can't tell from the pictures). Your motherboard has two three pin fan headers sys_fan1 header just above the SATA ports which one of the fans can plug straight into and sys_fan2 on the bottom next to the front audio header. The fan controller itself uses a molex connection straight from the power supply.
There you have it, two either connected to the fan controller if it supports it or two connected to the motherboard and one to the fan controller or all three to their own fan controller (if you have that many open slots in the back)
Hope it helps
Afternote... make sure you read the directions with the fan and controller to ensure there are no warnings and they are not using any proprietary wiring
m
l
January 2, 2013 6:45:18 PM

C12Friedman said:
Those fans feature 3 pin connectors. They also have a PCI controller which may allow for controlling two fans (I can't tell from the pictures). Your motherboard has two three pin fan headers sys_fan1 header just above the SATA ports which one of the fans can plug straight into and sys_fan2 on the bottom next to the front audio header. The fan controller itself uses a molex connection straight from the power supply.
There you have it, two either connected to the fan controller if it supports it or two connected to the motherboard and one to the fan controller or all three to their own fan controller (if you have that many open slots in the back)
Hope it helps
Afternote... make sure you read the directions with the fan and controller to ensure there are no warnings and they are not using any proprietary wiring

Thank you Mr. C12Friedman for giving a detailed instruction. However, there are totally 4 fans in my system now. Two are on the top, one on the side, one in front. Therefore, I dont have enough pin fan headers in my system, and I lost the controllers which come with the fan. So, do you have any suggestions for me?
Thank you in advance, and have a good day. :) 
m
l
!