Sign in with
Your question

Screen Freezes (mostly) with repeating sound

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2012 2:12:07 PM

Hi, I recently built this computer, and I have had this problem for a while, with it hiding for almost a month before rearing its head. Here it is:

At random, the computer will freeze, and the only way to fix it is to force it to shut down by pulling the plug or holding the power button. When it feezes, if there is a loading wheel, it will keep spinning, and if there is sound, it will loop. It has frozen at the BIOS, browsing the internet, right after logging in, really at any time, so its not associated with the load on the PC.

I RMAed my first MoBo, and it seemed to fix the issue for a while, and then a few weeks after, it started happening again.

Here are the specs:

AMD Phenom II
ASUS M4A87TD EVO MoBo
Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card
Rosewill RD400-2-DB 400W ATX V2.2 Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Windows 7 64 bit

I am narrowing it down to the graphics card or the power supply. The problem didnt exist until I installed the new graphics card (old MoBo had on-board graphics). And then it didnt happen with the new MoBo, so I am at a loss. I cant imagine my 400W PSU is not enough, and it freezes at the BIOS too. At this point I am returning thegraphics card to amazon, luckily they really have an easy return service.
August 21, 2012 12:10:02 PM

UPDATE: I now put a new graphics card in and it still freezes. I also noticed something else, when it starts to freeze, the music will actually slow down, and play a little bit while being glitchy.

Next step?

I am thinking that I will try to test the memory again. I did this once to no avail, but its worth a try. I will then try to borrow A PSU from a friend and see if that fixes it, then maybe borrow ram, then its time to cash in on my warranty on the processor...
!