How to change default hard drive?

bob1255

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
This is quite a problem, I have a very small HDD that i was forced to use instead of my 700GB external HDD. How can I change this? Changing the path would not work due to it being the path of the small drive being "C"

Solution
Then you need to format the whole rig to start installation of the OS and upwards onto that drive. the external one.
You'll need to physically disable the small C drive that you have now to be able to do that, plus you'll need to start you boot sequence from the USB external drive being first Boot Device in the BIOS after you install the OS on it...
Not the best Idea in my books though.
You want to change the path of what to where?
Remember an external USB drive will keep changing it's drive letter if it finds other drives occupying it original drive letter, so what exactly do you want the external drive to be used for, storage, yeah, but of what? My Documents can be transferred straight by right clicking on it and changing it's address in the properties.
Program Files for newly installed programs can be given a new path , to the external HDD by changing their installation directory during the install process itself.

So what is it that you exactly want sent to the external HDD?

bob1255

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

I would want to change the external hard drive to C:.

Then you need to format the whole rig to start installation of the OS and upwards onto that drive. the external one.
You'll need to physically disable the small C drive that you have now to be able to do that, plus you'll need to start you boot sequence from the USB external drive being first Boot Device in the BIOS after you install the OS on it...
Not the best Idea in my books though.

Solution

You do not want an external hard drive as your main boot drive with the OS. This will cause you so many problems that its not worth trying to explain all of them to you, just don't do it. Buy a bigger internal drive, and mirror the image from your old drive to the new one using the software from the drive makers web site. (Western Digital for instance)