Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Has recent stocks of Ivy Bridge solved the Temperature Problem?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 1, 2013 6:20:50 AM

Hi
I am planning to buy i5 3570k since 2500k isn't available here and others are way out of my budget. My primary concern is infamous Ivy bridge HEAT :whistle: 

I won't overclock
I want crysis 2 full load temperature <=58 degree C
Can't buy after market cooler atleast now

My question to all out there with recently purchased Ivys on stock cooler is- are the temperature acceptable? And have you been able to considerably lower the default voltage to reduce heat[I heard ivys have high default voltage]

Thank you in advance :hello: 
January 1, 2013 7:10:47 AM

If you are not overclocking, you do not NEED an aftermarket cooler; however, it will decrease temperatures quite a bit if you get a cheapo (good performance) hyper 212+ for $30 ($10 mail in rebate from newegg). All in all, I think a stock cooler will be just fine for you until you can round up $30. I'm buying a 3570k in about 6 hours from Microcenter to put in my new computer. So you can message me and I will respond with the temperatures with a default heat sink. (Have a P8z77 mobo and 8gb of Corsair Vengeance sitting out waiting for that bad boy :D )
Score
0
January 1, 2013 7:24:36 AM

drew13 said:
If you are not overclocking, you do not NEED an aftermarket cooler; however, it will decrease temperatures quite a bit if you get a cheapo (good performance) hyper 212+ for $30 ($10 mail in rebate from newegg). All in all, I think a stock cooler will be just fine for you until you can round up $30. I'm buying a 3570k in about 6 hours from Microcenter to put in my new computer. So you can message me and I will respond with the temperatures with a default heat sink. (Have a P8z77 mobo and 8gb of Corsair Vengeance sitting out waiting for that bad boy :D )


Ok bro-After you buy and finish with installation etc etc...plz run p95 small fft for 15min atleast and report me the temp..Thanks for yr ans :bounce: 
Score
0
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
January 1, 2013 7:29:11 AM

It'll be fine, regardless of which cooler you use.
Score
0
January 1, 2013 7:39:19 AM

chargedgod, can you please send me a message so I don't forget? Thanks.
Score
0
a c 114 à CPUs
January 1, 2013 7:50:47 AM

Ivy's infamous heat problems are only apparent if you overclock and start adding voltage, you should be completely fine at stock settings.
Yes, it is possible to undervolt the 3570k a bit at stock clocks, the voltage is a bit high. On my chip I can get to 4.4Ghz stable without even touching voltage, so you can lower it a fair bit to hold 3.4Ghz I think.
Score
0
a c 169 à CPUs
January 1, 2013 7:57:23 AM

manofchalk said:
Ivy's infamous heat problems are only apparent if you overclock and start adding voltage, you should be completely fine at stock settings.
Yes, it is possible to undervolt the 3570k a bit at stock clocks, the voltage is a bit high. On my chip I can get to 4.4Ghz stable without even touching voltage, so you can lower it a fair bit to hold 3.4Ghz I think.


When Intel programs the VID at the factory they always program it a few steps above the tested stable minimum. This leaves enough headroom for degradation over the chip's lifetime.
Score
0
January 1, 2013 8:25:52 AM

Actually I am heavily budget limited now :cry:  .Added to that pain is Me owing a rather crappy MicroATX Cabinet with very little space inside :fou:  .I have somewhat contained the temperatures on my E7300 @ 3.33GHz[1.28V]~58 C P95 Small FFTs & HIS HD 6850 ~71-72 C Crysis 2 dx 11 High Hig Res Tex by installing 1 suction and 2 blower 80mm fans.Only hope is ivys are power efficient+ hope in 22nm :p 
Score
0
a c 93 à CPUs
January 1, 2013 8:34:16 AM

They were also WAY overstated. I have a mini-ITX case with an i5-3570k @4.4GHz, 1.18v on the vcore, and temps lower than stock, with a hyper 212+ and aftermarket fan.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 8:56:38 AM

You should have absolutely not temp problems running an i5-3570k at stock w/stock cooler. It will not overheat at all unless the cpu is defective.
Score
0
January 1, 2013 11:21:54 AM

Uh Uh Uh..Just an Update :??:  summer temperature here during March-June is 40-42 degree avg..Last year kolkata suburbs rose to 45+.So how will ivy dance in that? :pt1cable:  Plus I don't have AC
Score
0

Best solution

a c 114 à CPUs
January 1, 2013 10:55:26 PM

Any CPU will have trouble with that. Because of physics, you will never get a temperatures lower than ambient (room) temperature while on air cooling or watercooling that relies on radiators. While this will primarily impact idle temps, load temps will be affected depending on the TDP of the cooler you have on it.

Afraid you will just have to deal with the higher temps. If your not overclocking (which I wouldn't advise during the summer months) then you could undervolt the CPU to save on heat output.
Share
January 2, 2013 1:09:13 AM

Ok, I run at 30-40 Celsius at idle and around 60-65 under full load at 15 minutes with prime 95. (Stock clock).
Score
0
January 2, 2013 1:09:39 AM

&Stock heat sink
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 5:38:46 AM

drew13 said:
Ok, I run at 30-40 Celsius at idle and around 60-65 under full load at 15 minutes with prime 95. (Stock clock).


You should be fine then. As was mentioned earlier, you're just going to have to live with the higher temps in the summer.
Score
0
January 2, 2013 7:01:33 AM

drew13 said:
Ok, I run at 30-40 Celsius at idle and around 60-65 under full load at 15 minutes with prime 95. (Stock clock).


Thanks for reporting back..Hmm Then I guess adding Mx4/OCT Freezer TIM might help limit temp around 57-58 with undervolting :whistle:  O btw whats your ambient temp and cooling in the cabinet?
Score
0
January 2, 2013 2:12:05 PM

around 20-21 celcius room temperature atm and I have the stock cooler, one intake from the front, one side intake and one exhaust at the back (all 120mm)
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 2:15:26 PM

Why do you need it to be less than 58 C, that's arbitrary? :lol: 
Score
0
a c 116 à CPUs
January 2, 2013 2:33:25 PM

chargedgod said:
summer temperature here during March-June is 40-42 degree avg..Last year kolkata suburbs rose to 45+.So how will ivy dance in that?

You won't be able to keep core temperature below 70C at such high ambient temperatures unless you go for fancy aftermarket HSF or upper-tier liquid-cooling loop. 70C is still fine since Ivy Bridge's core temperature thermal ceiling is 105C at stock clock.
Score
0
January 2, 2013 2:35:53 PM

Well I live in Ohio, USA and it doesn't get way too hot here plus I have a good AC unit so I'm fine. But for houses that don't have AC it's gonna run hot.
Score
0
January 3, 2013 6:23:33 AM

FinneousPJ said:
Why do you need it to be less than 58 C, that's arbitrary? :lol: 


Ha Ha I Know :p  Thats coz I hate ' 6 ' hence 60-69 is bad and 70 degree is too hot :kaola: 
Score
0
a c 114 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 6:33:36 AM

Just remember that each chip (even of the same model) overclocks (and undervolts) differently. My chip can get to 4.4Ghz without needing additional voltage, while I'm sure there are others who cant get above 4.2Ghz.
Just because someone else has managed those particular settings doesn't mean your chip will be able too.

Score
0
January 11, 2013 2:21:33 AM

Best answer selected by chargedgod.
Score
0
a c 116 à CPUs
January 11, 2013 2:49:19 AM

manofchalk said:
Just remember that each chip (even of the same model) overclocks (and undervolts) differently. Just because someone else has managed those particular settings doesn't mean your chip will be able too.

Unfortunately, many people quickly forget that. It is one of those things that seem to never get repeated enough.
Score
0
!