Which graphics card to run BF3

Specs

Amd Phenom 2 x4 965be @4ghz
8gb ram @1333ghz
asus M4N98td-evo SLI mobo
EVGA gtx 470

Atm, I run bf3 at 60 fps relatively consistent at LOW settings and at 1680x1050 res. What graphics card will enable me to play 60 fps consistent at high/ultra. I am currently looking at a sapphire 7870 or an MSI 670. Would an SLI option be better? What fps can I expect with the 7870 at high/ultra?

Thanks.
18 answers Last reply
More about which graphics card
  1. a gtx 670 will do the job.
  2. ThyEzekiel said:
    Specs

    Amd Phenom 2 x4 965be @4ghz
    8gb ram @1333ghz
    asus M4N98td-evo SLI mobo
    EVGA gtx 470

    Atm, I run bf3 at 60 fps relatively consistent at LOW settings and at 1680x1050 res. What graphics card will enable me to play 60 fps consistent at high/ultra. I am currently looking at a sapphire 7870 or an MSI 670. Would an SLI option be better? What fps can I expect with the 7870 at high/ultra?

    Thanks.

    if your budget allows get the 670 if not the 7870 is still a very good card and will do ultra at your 1680x1050 as i have a 6950 a bit slower than the 7870 and i go close to ultra at that res (i just reduce some aa) bang for buck sli and cf are the best but there are alot of trade offs ( been there done that) noise, heat and power consumption and micro stuttering and driver issues. after trying crossfire and sli i personally from now on will only get the best single gpu i can afford at the time. hope this helps
  3. jasont78 said:
    if your budget allows get the 670 if not the 7870 is still a very good card and will do ultra at your 1680x1050 as i have a 6950 a bit slower than the 7870 and i go close to ultra at that res (i just reduce some aa) bang for buck sli and cf are the best but there are alot of trade offs ( been there done that) noise, heat and power consumption and micro stuttering and driver issues. after trying crossfire and sli i personally from now on will only get the best single gpu i can afford at the time. hope this helps


    Well the 670 is quite expensive, the 7870 being a far more afordable option. Do you run bf3 at 60 fps constant? That's all I really care about: playing at ultra and 60fps. I will literally go out and buy the 7870 right now if it will allow me to play at ultra etc
  4. ThyEzekiel said:
    Well the 670 is quite expensive, the 7870 being a far more afordable option. Do you run bf3 at 60 fps constant? That's all I really care about: playing at ultra and 60fps. I will literally go out and buy the 7870 right now if it will allow me to play at ultra etc

    yes, but keep the setting like no AA
  5. xtreme5 said:
    yes, but keep the setting like no AA


    Is there are noticeable difference between no aa and 4xaa? Also, seeing as the 7870 is only 50 bucks less than the MSI 670 would it not be a better upgrade to the 670?
  6. ThyEzekiel said:
    Is there are noticeable difference between no aa and 4xaa? Also, seeing as the 7870 is only 50 bucks less than the MSI 670 would it not be a better upgrade to the 670?

    There is indeed noticable difference you can see the object more clearer with 4xaa smooth edges where as no aa scene looks edgy and bushy, here is a picture.



    GTX670 keeps you smoother in every game as compared to the HD 7870.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=598
  7. That CPU is going to hold a GTX 670 back quite a bit in BF3 multiplayer @ 1680x1050.
  8. 670 hands down
  9. xtreme5 said:
    There is indeed noticable difference you can see the object more clearer with 4xaa smooth edges where as no aa scene looks edgy and bushy, here is a picture.

    http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8452/noaavs4xaa.png

    GTX670 keeps you smoother in every game as compared to the HD 7870.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=598


    Ok thanks so much for that pic I looked everywhere and I couldn't find a side by side comparison. Although there appears to be a large difference in quality I've heard people putting the 'antialiasing post' option to high and getting near identical results with 0xAA. Also I played bf3 last night and maxed out the graphics even with 4xAA and I was getting average of 45/50 fps, wouldn't a 7870 be enough to nudge it up to a steady 60?
  10. BigMack70 said:
    That CPU is going to hold a GTX 670 back quite a bit in BF3 multiplayer @ 1680x1050.


    Really? I thought even with my overclock it would barely have any bottleneck?
  11. Either 670 or maybie even a 7950?
  12. ThyEzekiel said:
    Really? I thought even with my overclock it would barely have any bottleneck?


    Your performance will be fine, but at such a low resolution it definitely won't let the 670 stretch its legs all the way. I doubt you'd see any performance decrease on that rig from jumping up to 1080p resolution.
  13. ThyEzekiel said:
    Ok thanks so much for that pic I looked everywhere and I couldn't find a side by side comparison. Although there appears to be a large difference in quality I've heard people putting the 'antialiasing post' option to high and getting near identical results with 0xAA. Also I played bf3 last night and maxed out the graphics even with 4xAA and I was getting average of 45/50 fps, wouldn't a 7870 be enough to nudge it up to a steady 60?

    7870 but overclock it. then it will be able to hit 60.
  14. xtreme5 said:
    7870 but overclock it. then it will be able to hit 60.


    Will I really get that much extra performance out of it from overclocking?
  15. ThyEzekiel said:
    Will I really get that much extra performance out of it from overclocking?

    indeed.
  16. ThyEzekiel said:
    Well the 670 is quite expensive, the 7870 being a far more afordable option. Do you run bf3 at 60 fps constant? That's all I really care about: playing at ultra and 60fps. I will literally go out and buy the 7870 right now if it will allow me to play at ultra etc

    yes it would be very close to 60fps all the time only gets laggy when people on servers with bad pings
  17. The 670 is worth the extra money and will last you quite awhile, you will end up upgrading your set up before you will need to upgrade your graphics again.
  18. monsta said:
    The 670 is worth the extra money and will last you quite awhile, you will end up upgrading your set up before you will need to upgrade your graphics again.


    I found a 670 for $409 on Amazon. Its an MSI 670, is MSI a good brand? Does a reference design matter much?
  19. MSI is a great brand , they make excellent graphics cards. The reference design is still good , I actually prefer them as they exhaust heat with a blower type fan out the back instead of into your pc.
  20. ThyEzekiel said:
    I found a 670 for $409 on Amazon. Its an MSI 670, is MSI a good brand? Does a reference design matter much?

    of course, MSI are rocking brands best cooling solution, i'm running MSI HD 6850 in my old build it is almost 3 years old and still working excellent.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Battlefield FPS Graphics