Curtis1234

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Basically, im having a lot of frustration with my pc. There are so may problems.

First of my pc freezes alot. the startup and shutdown times are slower than usual. My pc does not install most of my wanted software and drivers. most of the programs i click on end up in a not responding stance. I reformated my pc installing a windows 7 64 bit ultimate from the previous ultimate 32 bit.

I cant get my pc running smoothly!

Specs:

AMD Phenom ii x4 965
8gb Corsair vengeance ram
AMD radeon 6670 hd
Asus m5a78l-musb3 motherboard
550 w psu
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit OS

And one last question are my specs good for gaming? once all the problems sort out I will order an AMD radeon 6950 hd graphics card?

Your build is fine with the 6950 for gaming. Make sure you have run all the updates for Windows 7. Also make sure all of your drivers are updated for you devices, especially your GPU. Make sure to download the most recentr drivers from the radeon website. Download GPUZ and something like coretemp and check all your temps to make sure nothign is out of wack.

Curtis1234

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

Im not sure what hdd is there any other way of finding out besides opening my pc up? Its 250 gb btw and i use an external drive (500gb).

Im not sure about the GPU. I am a low end graphics gamer. (minecraft, wow, day z, left 4 dead, guild wars 2 etc)

Curtis1234

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

I havent scanned anything I reformatted my pc. Removing my anti virus becuase norton is horrible. But that did not solve it. :( But im sure reformatting my pc removes virus malware?

Curtis1234

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply! Ill do the updates my automatic updates were turned off :p . Now when i install the radeon drivers the installation progress just keeps resetting very strange.

Curtis1234

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

Currently, all my drivers are out of date but my pc does not install the drivers for some reason. the installations just freeze.

He re-installed everything, so probably not poopware.
What brand and model is that "550W" PSU?
Have you tried running with just one RAM stick installed? Have you run memtest on your RAM?
Your specs are just "ok" for gaming. Modern or demanding titles will need to be turned way down on a HD6670 unless your resolution is really low like 1366x768. What is your monitor's resolution?
I'll need to know more about that PSU before suggesting a video card. Also, what is your budget for improvements?

Is your copy of Windows 7 legitimate, or is it a cracked version? If the latter, we will be unable to provide meaningful assistance regarding OS updates until you have obtained a legal copy.

Curtis1234

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

Brand for PSU is CIT i beleive. I will do the ram check along side with memtest. And I know the 6670 is useless but I am getting a 6950 or 7850 as "samuelspark" suggested.

Ooh, that CIT PSU may be [part of] your problem. If it has a little voltage switch on it, assume it is good for no more than half its label, and that not cleanly; it may be responsible for your stability problems.
Before even thinking about a GPU upgrade, you'll need to replace it. A quality modern PSU has some level of 80+ certification, which means it also has active PFC (no little voltage switch). Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, Enermax/LEPA, and FSP are among the better brands.

Curtis1234

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

Are you sure that the PSU is part of the problem? I mean it was working fine when i had the 32 bit OS installed. (i want to spend the least money on a troubleshoot)

Curtis1234

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

I will try just one stick twice on both ram sticks

Curtis1234

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

Also, if the ram sticks are detected by windows does that mean they are ok?

If the PSU is an obsolete, overrated, inefficient design, it will be incapable of supporting a GPU upgrade (and may die violently, killing other parts), even if it is perfectly stable at the 150W-200W max you may be pulling from it now. So yes, unless it is 80+, you will need to replace it. It's not for the efficiency, but that 80+ tests at 100% load. Even though their temperature is the unrealistically low 23C, a cheap PSU would die under those conditions.

No, not at all. They could still be defective or unstable.

Curtis1234

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
My pc still freezes with only one ram stick. i will try the other one.