Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wait till Haswell?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 8:57:54 AM

I am soon to be building my first gaming computer and it is based on the i5 3570k. I am wondering if i should wait till haswell is released? The processors will be released like the i5 and i7's, doing 1st, then 2nd and 3rd gens? This is why i am considering just going with my Ivy Bridge.. I dont want to wait 4 months for my rig if i am only going to bet getting a little boost to my gaming performance. Its not like its a new GPU...

More about : wait till haswell

January 1, 2013 9:00:21 AM

Go ahead and get a 3570k, from what I hear it's going to be a little little boost from Ivy Bridge.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 9:04:13 AM

Thanks for the reply. Thats what i thought too. If they are (somehow) a major leap up, i can always overclock my i5 to match it. I heard that Intel wont make the leap unless AMD brings out some uber-cpu that is better than its one's.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 1, 2013 9:06:15 AM

NP, GL with your build.
BTW, Microcenter has 3570k's at 169 dollars. I'm going to get mine today in 3 hours when it opens. If you have a Microcenter near you I would go ahead and pick one up from there.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 9:11:44 AM

If you really REALLY need an upgrade right now, stop waiting. Unless it's within 2-1 month of the product release, it's quite a waste of time to wait more.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 9:14:42 AM

Thanks for reply! Does anyone know the performance markup of haswell compared to ivy bridge?
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 9:17:16 AM

If you need to upgrade now, upgrade, if you can wait then why not?
I'm waiting until summer to build my haswell pc. :) 
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 9:18:50 AM

camohanna said:
Thanks for reply! Does anyone know the performance markup of haswell compared to ivy bridge?

It may be the usual 10-15% but there's more to it than that, there's a lot of new functionality built in with the new microarchitecture.

http://www.realworldtech.com/haswell-cpu/
"Intel’s Haswell CPU is the first core optimized for 22nm and includes a huge number of innovations for developers and users. New instructions for transactional memory, bit-manipulation, full 256-bit integer SIMD and floating point multiply-accumulate are combined in a microarchitecture that essentially doubles computational throughput and cache bandwidth."
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 9:26:43 AM

Will it increase my gaming performance by a significant amount? And when it comes out, it will be really expensive, so will the extra money be worth the performance?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 9:31:56 AM

The i5 and i7 gaming performance increase is probably a little. However, as you increase the resolution to 1080p or higher, it's probably non existent because you'll be limited by you video card first by then.

Perhaps we might see better gaming improvements for the dual core i3s and pentiums though word around the net is Intel is phasing out dual cores in the future
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 9:34:08 AM

Aw, my poor Pentium 4. You run like a beast!
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 9:35:01 AM

camohanna said:
Will it increase my gaming performance by a significant amount? And when it comes out, it will be really expensive, so will the extra money be worth the performance?

Well, If we're talking strictly video gaming and overclocking and performance potential then:

It should be a good performance boost right from the start but considering it's also the first truly optimized core for 22nm it may have better overclocking potential as well.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 9:37:29 AM

I am mainly talking about will it make my games's run faster. I dont believe it will make that much of a difference, its the GPU that makes the difference
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 9:40:33 AM

camohanna said:
I am mainly talking about will it make my games's run faster. I dont believe it will make that much of a difference, its the GPU that makes the difference


Graphics cards should be upgraded every few years though if you want to play at consistently high settings and it's affordable too. But upgrading the processor/motherboard/ram is not cheap.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 9:52:47 AM

Grass Peer said:
Graphics cards should be upgraded every few years though if you want to play at consistently high settings and it's affordable too. But upgrading the processor/motherboard/ram is not cheap.


Heh, that's my 5yr old computer, can still run like 10 chrome tabs at once, runs like a beast. I am building a new computer with a i5 3570K and thats the whole reason behind this topic..
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:00:06 AM

If you're still running a pentium 4 and would need to upgrade before summer or may, go with ivy bridge. :) 

I have an Amd Athlon x64 and naturally, my processor should outlast a pentium 4. So maybe it's meant to be that way. :p 

I highly recommend reading this though and making your own opinion. :) 
http://www.realworldtech.com/haswell-cpu/
"Haswell is the first family of SoCs that have been tailored to take advantage of Intel’s 22nm FinFET process technology. While Ivy Bridge is also 22nm, Intel’s circuit design team sacrificed power and performance in favor of a swift migration to a process with a radically new transistor architecture. "

I've read that Intel themselves are surprised by realworldtech's details sometimes.
m
0
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 10:00:18 AM

From what I have gathered about Haswell it will be more of a power efficiency boost rather than performance. Might be worth waiting for if your after a laptop or mobile device, but wouldn't bother on a desktop.
My plan is to stick with my 3570k until Skylake, the architecture after Haswell. By then I figure it will actually need to be upgraded.

Just remember that the Phenom II x4's are 3yrs old now and are still enough for gaming.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:07:21 AM

My Core 2 quad which as of last week I've owned for 4 YEARS still rips through anything I throw at it, I will say though that I think I'm done building around it now. I plan on migrating parts such as my 670 to a new build based on haswell this summer, I'll throw my old 460 in with the C2Q keep it as a secondary rig.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:08:59 AM

manofchalk said:
From what I have gathered about Haswell it will be more of a power efficiency boost rather than performance. Might be worth waiting for if your after a laptop or mobile device, but wouldn't bother on a desktop.
My plan is to stick with my 3570k until Skylake, the architecture after Haswell. By then I figure it will actually need to be upgraded.

Just remember that the Phenom II x4's are 3yrs old now and are still enough for gaming.


You're absolutely right about the power efficiency, but it's just a bonus. Performance and overclocking potential are improved right with it.

"Intel’s circuit design team sacrificed power and performance in favor of a swift migration to a process with a radically new transistor architecture."

In my opinion, just like ivy bridge was called a "tick+", Haswell with a mature 22nm FinFET process technology and the new microarchitecture should be called a tock+.

trumpeter1994 said:
My Core 2 quad which as of last week I've owned for 4 YEARS still rips through anything I throw at it, I will say though that I think I'm done building around it now. I plan on migrating parts such as my 670 to a new build based on haswell this summer, I'll throw my old 460 in with the C2Q keep it as a secondary rig.

I'm planning on doing pretty much the same thing. :) 
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:13:25 AM

Also at the same clock rates Haswell is reported to perform 5-15% better, and assuming the stock clock rates on cpus continue to climb this should provide a larger than just 5-15% increase in performance prior to overclocking..... Really want to know how haswell is going to overclock as that will probably play a HUGE part of the decision as to whether i build around it or ivy bridge this summer.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 10:14:29 AM

manofchalk said:
From what I have gathered about Haswell it will be more of a power efficiency boost rather than performance. Might be worth waiting for if your after a laptop or mobile device, but wouldn't bother on a desktop.
My plan is to stick with my 3570k until Skylake, the architecture after Haswell. By then I figure it will actually need to be upgraded.

Just remember that the Phenom II x4's are 3yrs old now and are still enough for gaming.


Yeah, its a bit like the generations of i5 cores, many people only upgraded for the 2500K/3570K
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:16:14 AM

Grass Peer said:
You're absolutely right about the power efficiency, but it's just a bonus. Performance and overclocking potential are improved right with it.

"Intel’s circuit design team sacrificed power and performance in favor of a swift migration to a process with a radically new transistor architecture."


I'm planning on doing pretty much the same thing. :) 


Yeah rather than having to buy a ton of new parts I put together a list and with a 3770k on there right now the total is only coming to like 1.1k since I'll be migrating some non-outdated parts. :D 
And thats with a water loop(it'll be my first time putting one together, and i'm pretty excited about it). :bounce: 
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:21:14 AM

trumpeter1994 said:
Also at the same clock rates Haswell is reported to perform 5-15% better, and assuming the stock clock rates on cpus continue to climb this should provide a larger than just 5-15% increase in performance prior to overclocking..... Really want to know how haswell is going to overclock as that will probably play a HUGE part of the decision as to whether i build around it or ivy bridge this summer.

I've read that Broadwell will be even more of an overclocking monster though, I'm unsure if Intel can really do 14nm that reliably though. So probably the safest bet is to... wait for Skylake! :D 
Just kidding though, I'm not going to wait for anything but Haswell. :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 10:26:31 AM

Well we will all see. I do doubt whether many people with sandy/ivy cores will upgrade to haswell as soon as it is released. Its probably safer to wait until they have refined it anyway..
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:27:34 AM

Grass Peer said:
I've read that Broadwell will be even more of an overclocking monster though, I'm unsure if Intel can really do 14nm that reliably though. So probably the safest bet is to... wait for Skylake! :D 
Just kidding though, I'm not going to wait for anything but Haswell. :) 

I've been putting off moving on from my Core 2 Quad for too long now and I think I'm just gonna jump on haswell (do you have any indea what it cost me to get 8GB of 1066 DDR2 lol?!?!?!).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 10:29:56 AM

DDR2, ouch. I have DDR-200 :)  haha
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:33:59 AM

trumpeter1994 said:
I've been putting off moving on from my Core 2 Quad for too long now and I think I'm just gonna jump on haswell (do you have any indea what it cost me to get 8GB of 1066 DDR2 lol?!?!?!).

I've no idea actually, but I hope when Haswell launches that people won't make the mistake that "8GiB is enough" then realize in 2015 that DDR4 RAM is mainstream and games have ultra crisp textures which need 24GiB of ram and DDR3 RAM has gotten very very expensive and rare.

Edit: Actually my analogy is a little flawed but I hope you'll understand.

camohanna said:
DDR2, ouch. I have DDR-200 :)  haha

I have 3 GiB of DDR2-667 :) 
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:43:05 AM

I Got my build when DDR3 was very first coming out, and I think the 4GB kits of DDR2 I bought were like close to $70. I've heard about DDR4 being developed for servers but seeing how It's not even being offered yet I think we should be alright with upgrades involving DDR3, also when I do get my next build I play on getting 16GB(2x8GB) on a 4 slot board so then I could upgrade to 32GB if ever needed.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 10:51:44 AM

trumpeter1994 said:
I Got my build when DDR3 was very first coming out, and I think the 4GB kits of DDR2 I bought were like close to $70. I've heard about DDR4 being developed for servers but seeing how It's not even being offered yet I think we should be alright with upgrades involving DDR3, also when I do get my next build I play on getting 16GB(2x8GB) on a 4 slot board so then I could upgrade to 32GB if ever needed.


I think that DDR3 will be outlawed way before you need 16GB+ of RAM :p 
m
0
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 10:55:09 AM

I think Samsung have made some prototype DDR4 RAM, I remember there being an article somewhere on it.
Anyway, I think 2015 would be the earliest DDR4 is going to be available. If it happens anything like the DDR2-DDR3 transition though there will be plenty of options that would support DDR3. Half of the LGA775 boards support DDR2 and the other half DDR3, dont see a reason why it would be different later on.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 11:05:55 AM

hafijur said:
The pc you have is so slow and power hungry. Good heater for the winter but not much else. Anyway to be honest if you are using a pentium 4 then get ivy bridge 22nm even an i3 will about 10x faster then your cpu.

I think he should just wait for Haswell if it's at all possible.

He could also later upgrade to Broadwell from Haswell if Intel delivers on its' process superiority and releases a core i5/7 SKU for the LGA1150.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 11:09:58 AM

Grass Peer said:
I think he should just wait for Haswell if it's at all possible.

He could also later upgrade to Broadwell from Haswell if Intel delivers on its' process superiority and releases a core i5/7 SKU for the LGA1150.



Well, thats the thing. If i am just upgrading to broadwell, why not just get ivy bridge now then go straight to broadwell. dont wanna put up with my p4 (sorry P4)
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 11:13:20 AM

camohanna said:
Well, thats the thing. If i am just upgrading to broadwell, why not just get ivy bridge now then go straight to broadwell. dont wanna put up with my p4 (sorry P4)

That doesn't make any sense.. What do you mean? Sandy/Ivy Bridge is socket LGA1155 and Haswell/Broadwell(Probably one SKU) is for LGA1150.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 12:00:14 PM

Grass Peer said:
That doesn't make any sense.. What do you mean? Sandy/Ivy Bridge is socket LGA1155 and Haswell/Broadwell(Probably one SKU) is for LGA1150.


Obviously getting a new mobo with it? Does that make sense now...?
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 12:19:19 PM

camohanna said:
Obviously getting a new mobo with it? Does that make sense now...?

Well yes it does.

But maybe if you get Ivy Bridge instead and then skip any haswell or broadwell...

...until Skylake arrives, with a new refined 14nm process and architecture...

...or maybe skip skylake/mont too until...

...Intel releases the answer to the steamroller....

...the Netburst II at 10Gigaherz!!!! :heink:  :sweat: 












just kidding though. :D 
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 1:30:22 PM

Grass Peer said:
Well yes it does.

But maybe if you get Ivy Bridge instead and then skip any haswell or broadwell...

...until Skylake arrives, with a new refined 14nm process and architecture...

...or maybe skip skylake/mont too until...

...Intel releases the answer to the steamroller....

...the Netburst II at 10Gigaherz!!!! :heink:  :sweat: 












just kidding though. :D 

I think a 10GHz netburst would still be about equal to an i3 from 2 gens ago :) .
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 1:31:12 PM

I don't like quoting big posts :pt1cable: .
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 7:54:48 PM

Probably will wait till the 14nm cpu's
m
0
l
a c 472 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 8:10:39 PM

I'm still using my C2Q Q9450.

I'll either upgrade to Haswell or Broadwell. Not sure yet. The Q9450 may go into my HTPC which has a C2D E6600. But the E6600 and the nVidia 9600 GT is fulfilling the purpose of the HTPC which is to play videos.

Then when Skylake is released I'll likely upgrade again. Haswell / Broadwell will go into my HTPC to lower power consumption since it should use less power then the E6600 and I will just rely on the integrated graphics core to decode movies.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 8:21:05 PM

jaguarskx said:
I'm still using my C2Q Q9450.

I'll either upgrade to Haswell or Broadwell. Not sure yet. The Q9450 may go into my HTPC which has a C2D E6600. But the E6600 and the nVidia 9600 GT is fulfilling the purpose of the HTPC which is to play videos.

Then when Skylake is released I'll likely upgrade again. Haswell / Broadwell will go into my HTPC to lower power consumption since it should use less power then the E6600 and I will just rely on the integrated graphics core to decode movies.


Seems like lots of people are upgrading to skylake. Im going to skip haswell/broadwell and go straight to skylake when it is released.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 2, 2013 2:59:20 AM

hafijur said:
What is the graphics card you are gonna use in your gaming rig. Also I cannot believe that people still use p4's let alone for gaming. A p4 is like using an old truck with a high litre engne but has low mpg and cannot travel or turn fast vs a core i7 3770k the i7 pic you have is like comparing the worlds fastest diesel car which is aerodynamic and fast through corners and very frugal taking little power.

If you don't have the money then wait till haswell as they are cutting down power consumption and improving integrated graphics card performance.


Well, P4's are made really solid so they last, plus they have hyper threading. I do have the money and you said that its only really cutting down power consumption and integrated graphics. 20W power saved and better graphics that i wont even use for a more pricy cpu and mobo and i have to wait for 4 months? No thanks :D 
m
0
l
!