First Build; Shut Off Now Won't Boot; GPU

Hi,

I'm working on my first build and I've run into a problem that is similar to but still different from issues I've seen on this and other sites.

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

GPU: XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

Monitor: Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor

After an external build that seemed to work (but didn't post, although I now know this had something to do with the GPU), I got everything hooked up and in the case. I got an A2 error from Dr. Debug with no post (again, GPU) and then it just shut off and wouldn't come back on. I switched the SATA cords around, cleared CMOS, etc.

The next morning, I disconnected everything but the power supply, mobo, and CPU. At first it didn't turn on but after clearing the CMOS and trying to boot up a few more times it just started booting.

With everything but the GPU connected, boot was successful and I got post. I reattached the GPU and got no POST, so I was going to try using HDMI attached to the GPU instead of the VGA connected to the motherboard when it shut off and again will not come back on. I've now taken the GPU out but it won't boot.

I'm guessing the issue is one of the following:
-Need to update BIOS
-Need to use another PCI slot
-Faulty GPU
-Faulty Power supply

It seems like the first three are the most likely, but I can't do anything at the moment since it won't boot (no lights, fans, etc.). If you guys have any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.
2 answers Last reply
More about first build shut boot
  1. It seems like you have covered a lot of your bases, do you have the ability to test out another GPU in your system (i.e., grab a known working GPU from another PC)?
  2. Probably not, unfortunately.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt GPUs Build Systems