New to ivy bridge. is this normal ?

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hey,
just got my 3570k to replace my fx-8120 and ive OC'd it to 4.4ghz at 1.25 volts.

Now, is that voltage too high ? Im using a z77x-ud3h mobo.
About the temps. Im only familiar to FX overclocking, and you didnt really want to push above 65C at prime95.

When i P95 my 3570k 4.4ghz 1.25v i get about 70-75 all 4 cores and when im playing rift + livestreaming it at 720p then i get about 63-67 temps and about 70-90% cpu usage.

Is all that above normal? Can i lower the voltage? Could i disable or enable anything to reduce heat? Could i turn all my pc fans to max (the noise doesnt bother me)?

Thanks all!

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
For such overclock and voltage, you are in the normal range.

I was kinda surprise also when I change my Phenom II x4 to the actual I5 2500k, temperatures is really diferent from both chips, I was used to see my phenom going from 30 C at idle and Load up to 60C with CPU tin temperature, but cores stay something about 10 C lower than the CPU tin, lets say.

CPUtin = 60C

Core 0= 54
Core 1= 50
Core 2= 49
Core 3= 51

That was for me, the good point.

But now with the Sandy Bridge I5 it was really diferent, Intel doesnt bother much about CPUtin temp, but for Core temp with a TjMax reading.

For Intel Sandy Bridge we are up to 98 C for TjMax temperature, but with Ivybridge as its a different node, it can go up to 105 C

So temperatures in each core should be really good about 70s, you will notice that each core will run kinda hot, but thats normal and the processor is capable of it, even if you reach the max core temperature, that is about 105 C, still you will have about 10C of room before the processor shut down completly itself, at over 100C the processor just throttle down clocks and Volts to minimize its heat.

Its kinda safe, just dont bother about it if you see temps over 70 C, if you reach over 80 C consider yourself in about the end of the sweet ponit.

Also CPUtin will mostly have a lower temperature than a Core, so thats why it shouldnt be consider as a efective way to measure temps.

Right now your temps should look like.

CPUtin= 45c

Core 0=67c
Core 1=70c
Core 2=73c
Core 3=72c

Thats great for such processor :) !

Happy new year !

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
yeah my temps look smth like that when playing bf3 + livestreaming it. So i shouldnt be worried ? Mby i could lower voltage a bit more for less heat. :p

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Well, you can, but it may affect the stability of your system or it may not.

Just try, you will never know if it will be stable if you dont try, that's fun part of overclocking, and overclocking with lower vCore. It may work, it may dont! Best of luck on it.

Also, for Air and such overclock I think you are pretty good, but no chip is the same and you can get a very good one that will get over 4.5ghz with no voltage bumps Lol !

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
i heard 4.4 ivy bridge is about the same perf. as 4.6 (or smth-ish) sandy bridge.

so i think im pretty golden for now at 4.4.
iwill try to first lower my voltage and then get a higher clock aswell.

thanks to everyone!

ColoredWater

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Why would you upgrade? I would have done the same but I was smart enough to spend the money on a new MOBO and a water cooling kit and now I'm gonna try and find a PC store near me and sit outside it until Haswell comes out!

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

cool beans

TRENDING THREADS