Touchsmart shuts down in EXACTLY 30 minutes

wet8092

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Hello,
I have a Touchsmart 600-1350 I bought used. It works great for EXACTLY 30 minutes and then shuts down. I've tried Win7 (installed), Linux (booted from USB thumbdrive), MemTest86 (CD boot), and just sitting on the BIOS menu. In all cases it runs for exactly 30 minutes and shuts down. It'll power right back up and run again for exactly 30 minutes.

I've used a timer to time it and it's ALWAYS 30 minutes. It's driving me nuts. I've taken the thing apart and all fans are working. I've pointed a box fan on the exposed motherboard and the 2 visible heat sinks are cool to the touch when it shuts down. SpeedFan, Speccy, CPUID HWMonitor all show temps <40deg.

Win7 Event Viewer only shows Event ID #41 (Kernel Power).

The one thing I can think of is the power supply brick is not the original. It is a 18.5v/3.5A (65W) instead of the 18.5v/6.5A (120W). It gets really hot, even at the BIOS menu, but could a power supply cause the shutdown in EXACTLY 30 minutes? Thanks for any advice.

wet8092

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I wrapped in a cold pack (in zip lock bag) and still right at 30 minutes. The brick was MUCH cooler when it shut down. From what I can find, I have the last (only) BIOS release for this computer. I've heard of BIOS viruses, but they are rare. Maybe I should try to flash it anyway. I'm really stumped.

wet8092

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Ok, after receiving a bad supply (wouldn't even power up), I got a good 18v/6.5A/125W power brick. I'm still having the same problem. It'll shut down in exactly 30min even if just sitting at the BIOS. Tried in again Win7 also and same thing. Other than it being a component overheating on the back side of the motherboard or in the LCD screen, I'm totally stumped.

auiki

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Having the same problem with a brand new computer.. ( see thread address below ) did you ever find a solution?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1805133/shut-thirty-min-exact.html

Torsten Warncke

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
I have the same problem with hp pavilion g6. Doesnt matter what I do with the laptop, exactly after 30 minutes it powers off EXCEPT I press power off button to go into standby mode. After reactivating from standby I got another 30 minutes.