Sign in with
Your question

Is this computer passable for gaming?

Last response: in Systems
a b 4 Gaming
August 17, 2012 9:28:59 AM

You can build a better one for less!
August 17, 2012 9:30:16 AM

So I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a while now, but it turns out that my laptop won't be able to run it (well). I've been kept away from a ton of games because of my subpar laptop for a while, so I'm looking to buy a desktop now. While I'm kind of familiar with the important component and specs as far as gaming is concerned, I just want to be sure I'm not wasting money due to my ignorance.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+XPS+Desktop+-+8GB+Me...

Everything looks pretty much alright to my untrained eye, but it never hurts to be cautious. Is there anything I might not be aware of that wouldn't make this a decent gaming desktop? Is it a good deal?

Thanks. :D 
m
l
August 17, 2012 9:36:23 AM

Graphics card is a bit lacking! +1 to building
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
August 17, 2012 10:02:49 AM

SinCosTang said:
So I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a while now, but it turns out that my laptop won't be able to run it (well). I've been kept away from a ton of games because of my subpar laptop for a while, so I'm looking to buy a desktop now. While I'm kind of familiar with the important component and specs as far as gaming is concerned, I just want to be sure I'm not wasting money due to my ignorance.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+XPS+Desktop+-+8GB+Me...

Everything looks pretty much alright to my untrained eye, but it never hurts to be cautious. Is there anything I might not be aware of that wouldn't make this a decent gaming desktop? Is it a good deal?

Thanks. :D 

An AMD 7570 Graphics card in that system makes it a very weak gaming pc indeed, you need to be looking at at least a 7770- 7850 or nvidia equivalent.
m
l
August 17, 2012 10:35:38 AM

While I'd like to build my own, it doesn't seem like it would save me enough to compensate for the extra work and frustrations. If someone could give me an example of a pre-built desktop in the same price range that would be able to run games around medium settings, I would be ridiculously thankful. I keep trying to find a desktop, but I'm deterred by the lack of reasonable graphics cards in pre-built computers. A tip in the right direction would be much obliged.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 17, 2012 6:09:30 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!