Free photo editor(s)

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 5, 2005 9:42:57 PM

Anyone know of any?
A Google search found VicMan's but the free version is restricted to images
of less than 1000 pixels (height or width) and I use 2048x1536 & fine on my
S1 IS (as someone here recommended - it seems, to me, a good trade-off
between quality and number of shots).
Keith

--

More about : free photo editor

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:42:58 PM

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:42:57 +0100, "News"
<Keith@nohtsystems.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Anyone know of any?
>A Google search found VicMan's but the free version is restricted to images
>of less than 1000 pixels (height or width) and I use 2048x1536 & fine on my
>S1 IS (as someone here recommended - it seems, to me, a good trade-off
>between quality and number of shots).
>Keith

TRy Irfanview, or go to Canon's website, you can download
free software from there. The Easyprint is not too bad.
Related resources
September 5, 2005 9:42:58 PM

News wrote:
> Anyone know of any?
> A Google search found VicMan's but the free version is restricted to images
> of less than 1000 pixels (height or width) and I use 2048x1536 & fine on my
> S1 IS (as someone here recommended - it seems, to me, a good trade-off
> between quality and number of shots).
> Keith
>
> --

I'll second Irfanview for a good basic freeware editor - other than
cropping, which it does very poorly compared to even the worst editors
out there now. I've used it for a long time without problems.

If you just want to download, archive your shots, spruce up and crop
for printing or E-mailing, try the free Picasa 2 from Google; it's
doing surprisingly well for me. I work most of the time in Picasa; it
allows me to open the images in GIMP or Irfanview for more complex
editing if needed. It even supports my camera's RAW files.

For a complete editor GIMP or GIMP for Windows is the obvious choice. A
bit of a steep learning curve, especially if you don't know Photoshop
or Paint Shop Pro, but it does have a myriad of functions and plugins
available. It'll do anything you can think of; it'll just take a while
to figure out how....

For RAW file "developing" the obvious choice is Pixmantec's RawShooter
Essentials; it does ok although it takes a lot of tweaking to get
output colors right. It includes a decent noise filter. It's pretty
full featured.

For panoramas there's Autostitch; you have to download an update every
couple of months (the bandwidth costs must be killing them!) but it
does a great job; better than a lot of commercial programs I've used in
the past.

Well, that's my two bits - or would be, if I wasn't too cheap to spend
$0.25..... ;)  Just Google the program names to find the download sites.

ECM
September 5, 2005 10:32:55 PM

http://www.photofiltre.com/
--
David: NorthWest England
Claim nothing;enjoy

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:32:55 +0100, David <user77@ddaiv.co.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:42:57 +0100, "News" <Keith@nohtsystems.freeserve.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
> > Anyone know of any?
> > A Google search found VicMan's but the free version is restricted to images
> > of less than 1000 pixels (height or width) and I use 2048x1536 & fine on my
> > S1 IS (as someone here recommended - it seems, to me, a good trade-off
> > between quality and number of shots).
> > Keith
>
>http://www.photofiltre.com/

I'll ditto that choice. I've used the program for quick edits for
quite some time. It's not Photoshop, but it works very well.

Hal Lowe

http://www.halogos.com (logo t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
(Make sure to check out the digital photo section)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (web hosting)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formna...
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:57:20 AM

"David" <user77@ddaiv.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:42:57 +0100, "News"
> <Keith@nohtsystems.freeserve.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know of any?
> > A Google search found VicMan's but the free version is restricted to
> > images
> > of less than 1000 pixels (height or width) and I use 2048x1536 & fine on
> > my
> > S1 IS (as someone here recommended - it seems, to me, a good trade-off
> > between quality and number of shots).
> > Keith
>
> http://www.photofiltre.com/
> --
> David: NorthWest England
> Claim nothing;enjoy

Thanks David, I'll give this one a go. Although I'm a big fan of IrfanView
and, normally, only build albums for viewing on-screen, I've a few shots of
the grand children I want as 10x8 prints and "The GIMP" looks like it needs
a huge investment in time & effort - not worth it for 2 or three prints?
Keith: South East England
September 6, 2005 3:08:06 PM

News wrote:
> Anyone know of any?
> A Google search found VicMan's but the free version is restricted to images
> of less than 1000 pixels (height or width) and I use 2048x1536 & fine on my
> S1 IS (as someone here recommended - it seems, to me, a good trade-off
> between quality and number of shots).
> Keith

It depends on what kind of editing you want to do. I have Kodak EasyShare, mainly for
printing photos. It has basic editing functions, and it does them well.
September 6, 2005 7:42:26 PM

"Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message

> It depends on what kind of editing you want to do. I have Kodak
> EasyShare, mainly for printing photos. It has basic editing functions,
> and it does them well.

I was really impressed with Picassa2 from Google, of all places!

My digital images straight from my camera tend to be on the dark side,
requiring post-shoot editing to raise the mid-tones, but Picassa displays
them beautifully, without any editing. It also has a number of "one-click"
quick-fixes, and the results are really impressive--not at all like the
equivalents on some other editors I've seen.

It's free. Can't beat the price.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 3:11:01 AM

"News" <Keith@nohtsystems.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>A Google search found VicMan's but the free version is restricted to images
>of less than 1000 pixels (height or width) and I use 2048x1536 & fine on my
>S1 IS (as someone here recommended - it seems, to me, a good trade-off
>between quality and number of shots).
>Keith

Try paint.net

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

It does require the latest version of Microsoft's .NET
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 3:45:14 PM

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:11:01 -0700, Scott Peterson
<scottp4.removethistoreply@mindspring.com> wrote:

>"News" <Keith@nohtsystems.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>A Google search found VicMan's but the free version is restricted to images
>>of less than 1000 pixels (height or width) and I use 2048x1536 & fine on my
>>S1 IS (as someone here recommended - it seems, to me, a good trade-off
>>between quality and number of shots).
>>Keith
>
>Try paint.net
>
>http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/
>
>It does require the latest version of Microsoft's .NET

Hi Scott,

Great find! Thanks for the post.

Hal Lowe

http://www.halogos.com (logo t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
(make sure to check out the digiphoto t-shirts...)
!