Sign in with
Your question

A question about ordering cards online and other stuff

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 28, 2012 5:59:03 PM

Is the transport safe? will the cards gets damaged? are they too fragile for a transport from a corner of Europe to another? like a few hundred km distance traveled by car?
And is stuff like amazon good for getting cards at cheap prices or do I have to buy from more professional websites?
I'm thinking about buying stuff online since my shitty country has 25% VAT so when I get a 200$ card I have to pay 50$ more for nothing... but online transactions don't have VAT so I thought this was the best choice.

I'm tempted by this 25% advantage but there are other risky stuff for example the package may be stolen at customs, I could get the wrong stuff delivered to me or simply get an empty package filled with rocks or something so it just feels heavy... or not get warranty at all.

Anyone else here bought pc parts from other countries, especially GPUs?
a c 291 U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 6:06:13 PM

Umm your country isn't bad for having VAT. Whole Europe has it. Also, you are paying VAT when buying from online stores as well.. Who told you that you don't?
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 6:07:41 PM

Not sure what country you are in but for example in SVK if the value of the order is more than 150 euro you will pay "clo" tax and on top of that VAT. If the value is 20 euro no clo and no VAT, and if the value is less than 150 euro you pay only VAT.
So you end up paying more your country might be different laws. Find out call the customs.
Good luck.
Related resources
June 28, 2012 6:20:58 PM

maxinexus said:
Not sure what country you are in but for example in SVK if the value of the order is more than 150 euro you will pay "clo" tax and on top of that VAT. If the value is 20 euro no clo and no VAT, and if the value is less than 150 euro you pay only VAT.
So you end up paying more your country might be different laws. Find out call the customs.
Good luck.

well, for example I bought some arctic silver 5 thermal paste recently from an online shop in my country, It costed the equivalent of 8.65 dollars but after VAT tax it was 10.6 dollars, I think they just slap the VAT tax on everything that costs money.

Sunius said:
Umm your country isn't bad for having VAT. Whole Europe has it. Also, you are paying VAT when buying from online stores as well.. Who told you that you don't?

yeah but I was talking about online stores from other countries, I'd pay with my card or pay for the package when it's delivered to my country
a c 291 U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 6:23:06 PM

Dude, other countries have VAT as well. Just because you buy from www.amazon.co.uk it does not mean you don't pay VAT. You pay it to the UK government instead of your own, but you still pay it.
June 28, 2012 7:41:03 PM

Sunius said:
Dude, other countries have VAT as well. Just because you buy from www.amazon.co.uk it does not mean you don't pay VAT. You pay it to the UK government instead of your own, but you still pay it.

well either way it's cheaper than in my country so i don't care (and at least I'd pay the UK government and not the incompetent tax evading bastards in my country), in the end I have this question: is buying fragile electronics like graphics cards, phones, hard disks, SSDs from other countries safe? would they get damaged during transport? or is the padding they use good enough?
!