Sign in with
Your question

Rear Venting GPU for FT02

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 28, 2012 6:53:53 PM

Hi, I'm just building a system and just bought a long lusted after FT02 case.

My question is that given the unusual orientation of the MOBO and the fan arrangement it makes sense to get a rear venting GPU so it will push all the air up in the same direction as the case fans.

Has anyone got any suggestions on a GPU around the price range of the 7850 up to £250 if there was compelling advice to get it.

Also, given the orientation of the MOBO inside the FT02 will heat pipes on the GPU cool differently because they are pointing up and not sideways?

Should add that the FT02 will be right next to the TV so want a quietish card and I may SLi/crossfire the card and I already have a 750 watt power supply so hopefully a GPU that can be doubled up and still use the 750 watt power supply.

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can provide

PURCHASE DATE: Now
BUDGET RANGE: cost of a 7850
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Gaming, watching blu ray movies outputting to 32inch to 50 inch TV,
POWER SUPPLY: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M 750W
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU Probably i5 3570k maybe i7
CPU Asus Maximus V (if anyone knows if the new Asus Formula will be out soon and similar price I'd be happy to wait)
Memory: 8 GB
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Scan.co.uk and overclocker.co.uk
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe
MONITOR RESOLUTION: May upgrade current 21 inch to 24 inch

More about : rear venting gpu ft02

a c 125 U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 7:16:38 PM

The only good one is the HIS IceQ series of blower-fan heat sinks. They are quite good.

Otherwise you'd have to go with a reference model, but they get loud.
a c 91 U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 12:05:32 AM

^+1 on the HIS iceQ, they are excellent and can match the cooling performance of most dual-fan video cards.

that aside, you actually don't have to worry about the fan orientations too much. most dual or triple fan coolers blow the air directly and perpendicularly onto your aluminum cooler fins, at which point the air will heat up, cooling the fins and in turn your components.

now as we all know, hot air rises, so most of this hot air will naturally be vented out of the top of your case along the direction of the case-fans. you have nothing to worry about. the silverstone engineers has thought of it all :) 

EDIT: as for your question about heat-pipes. unless you got a card with vapor-chamber technology, the orientation of the pipes will not matter. so avoid cards like sapphire vapor-x or sapphire FLEX, but their regular dual-x etc will be fine.
!