Sign in with
Your question

Amd a8-4500m processor vs i5

Last response: in CPUs
January 1, 2013 3:37:56 PM

Which should I buy? A laptop with 6GB ram and an i5-3210m or same laptop but with 8GB ram and
AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M processor with AMD Radeon™ HD 7640G Graphics? Both are the same price. Is the extra ram worth going for the AMD processor? I'm not a gamer and will just use the laptop for surfing the web, watching movies, MS office use etc. thanks

More about : amd 4500m processor

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 1, 2013 5:22:59 PM

since you are not a gamer it will be better to go for the model with the i5 processor...the i5 is a pretty good processor and beats the A8 in almost all fields except the graphic ones. the intel HD4000 integrated graphics in the core i5 cpu will be more than enough for you.

also to note that the 2 extra gigs of ram in the A8 model wont give you much any advantage whatsoever.
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 1, 2013 5:26:56 PM

I agree I would go with the I5. Really though if all you are doing is fooling around on the interent, using office and loading pictures an I3 would be fine.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 1, 2013 5:38:18 PM

rds1220 said:
I agree I would go with the I5. Really though if all you are doing is fooling around on the interent, using office and loading pictures an I3 would be fine.

you are absolutely right....presently i5 would indeed be an overkill.

but lets just say a year or two down the line,it would be ok......and not to mention you cannot just simply upgrade a laptop processor the way we upgrade desktop ones.
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 1, 2013 5:44:39 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
you are absolutely right....presently i5 would indeed be an overkill.

but lets just say a year or two down the line,it would be ok......and not to mention you cannot just simply upgrade a laptop processor the way we upgrade desktop ones.

Two or three years down the road you are probably just going to get a new laptop anyway. Laptop's have become so cheap that like cell phones most people keep them for two or three years then get a new one. Like the OP I use my laptop for going on Facebook, posting here and pictures. My laptop has an I3 with 4 Gigs of RAM, and a 320 Gig HDD. It's not great but it's good enough for what I am doing. I know it won't last more than a couple years before it get's to old but I only payed 375 dollars for it brand new from Best Buy. For 375 dollars thats cheap enough to get three years out of it then throw it away and get another cheap laptop.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 1, 2013 5:56:17 PM

i really envy the cost of tech there....i live in India and here an i3 laptop with 4 gigs of ram will still cost only a little less than $500.
January 2, 2013 2:27:56 PM

Thanks for the replies guys
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 3, 2013 4:07:14 PM

HP Pavilion g6-2213sa would be better for gaming.....but only for gaming.
For everything else the HP Pavilion g6-2212sa would be much better.
!