Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 28, 2012 8:40:36 PM

I've read up a bit on what Crossfire is and I think I have a good comprehension on what it is.
What I don't know is if my Mother board is crossfire ready. It had two video card slots, but does that automatically mean it is crossifre ready?
Also, back to the main thing, I have a ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro as a graphics card. If i bought another of the same type would it improve performance in games?
Another thing, would I need an extra power supply or something?
Thanks.

Specs-
Windows 7 Pro
Manufacturer: Dell
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz 2.67GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

Video Card-
Name: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip Type: ATI display adapter (0x94C1)
DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)
Approx. Total Memory: 1002 MB
Current Display Mode: 1280x1024 (2bit) (60Hz)

More about : ati radeon 2400 pro

Best solution

June 28, 2012 8:53:45 PM

Your Previous Thread

No. Having two (or more) PCI-Ex16 slots does not mean your motherboard is crossfire ready. It specifically has to state that it is (old boards used NVidia's SLI technology exclusively).

Technically, purchasing a second HD 2400 Pro would improve performance in games, but given the cost of the second HD 2400 Pro, you'd be better off purchasing a single newer graphics card.

Depending on what power supply you have now, it may be required for a crossfire set up to get a newer on. Without knowing the exact specs of your system (motherboard and power supply manufacter/model #), it's impossible for anyone to state anything for certain.

-Wolf sends
June 28, 2012 9:03:06 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Your Previous Thread

No. Having two (or more) PCI-Ex16 slots does not mean your motherboard is crossfire ready. It specifically has to state that it is (old boards used NVidia's SLI technology exclusively).

Technically, purchasing a second HD 2400 Pro would improve performance in games, but given the cost of the second HD 2400 Pro, you'd be better off purchasing a single newer graphics card.

Depending on what power supply you have now, it may be required for a crossfire set up to get a newer on. Without knowing the exact specs of your system (motherboard and power supply manufacter/model #), it's impossible for anyone to state anything for certain.

-Wolf sends

1.How would I find my motherboard info?
2. I can easily get a ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro $10 so cost isn't a prob.
3. How woudl it help my game performance? What I'm trying to do is somehow rig my comp up so I can finally play Skyrim. You really don't know how fustrating it is to have a game and not be able to play it.
4. My budget is $30, so the video card buying has got to stay under that. :p 
Score
Related resources
June 28, 2012 9:06:51 PM

1. You have a dell. no crossfire.
2. HD2400 pro is old, and wasn't to hot when it was new either.
3. just buy a decent new card.
Score
June 28, 2012 9:09:37 PM

daswilhelm said:
1. You have a dell. no crossfire.
2. HD2400 pro is old, and wasn't to hot when it was new either.
3. just buy a decent new card.

1. So you're saying dells automatically have no Crossfire?
2. What card would you reccommend (remebering budget)?
3. So, there is no way I can use the ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro and a new graphics card together for better performance?
Score
June 28, 2012 9:11:18 PM

yes i am. and the 2400 pro doesnt support crossfire either. swap out the 2400 for a 6650
Score
June 28, 2012 9:11:48 PM

budget of $30 isnt going to get you anywhere, figure around 60-75
Score
June 28, 2012 9:13:39 PM

Best answer selected by servotron96.
Score
June 28, 2012 9:28:53 PM

1) If this is a prebuilt system (dell, acer, etc...) then just give us the model number of the entire system. If you or someone else built it, the information should be listed somewhere on the board itself.

2) I doubt I would even spend $10 on tech that old. I understand you want some improvement, but the improvement you'd see wouldn't be worth it.

3a) Not sure it would help at all. You'd probably be better served by increasing your RAM amount from 2GB to 4GB.
3b) In your case, I'd say that getting a single better card would be in your best interest. Not sure adding a second HD 2400 Pro is going to have any benefits. While I'm not a fan of Open-Box purchases, This HD5450 would better serve your needs (albeit barely).
3c) Yes I do.
4) See the linked card above, but if you can run the game at all with your current hardware, I think you'd still be better served by increasing your System RAM.

-Wolf sends
Score
!