Removed - -

- - - -
7 answers Last reply
More about 7850 6870
  1. Both cards are reference clocked cards.

The Radeon HD 7850 will outperform the Radeon HD 6870 at all resolutions.

For a system using a reference clocked single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using a reference clocked single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Your Ultra LSP450 450-Watt Power Supply, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is insufficient to power your system configuration with either a single Radeon HD 6870 or a Radeon HD 7850.

Take a look at the Rosewill CAPSTONE Series 550W (CAPSTONE-550) for $79.99, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with either a single Radeon HD 6870 or a Radeon HD 7850. It is also sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7850 in 2-way CrossFire mode.
  2. "stream processors" and "core clock" can not be compared between architectures. the 7850 is the replacement for the 6950 and superior in every way to a 6870.

That being said your CPU is very low end for gaming and both may be overkill. what is your resolution?
  3. 7850...the 2gb xfx has the voltages locked and is terrible at overclocking...I would know,I have one :(
  4. EchoOne said:
    7850...the 2gb xfx has the voltages locked and is terrible at overclocking...I would know,I have one :(

I agree with you. Even the XFX Radeon HD 7850 Black Edition has horrible overclocking potential.
  5. - - -
  6. Anonymous said:
    ko888, would this PSU work well too? It's cheaper and has a higher wattage: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
    The Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2 (CMPSU-600CXV2), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7850. It is also sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7850 in 2-way CrossFire mode.
  7. I have a 7850 and its awesome...
    Just install the ASUS GPU tweak it controls the voltage !!! and its stable
Ask a new question

Read More

Product Radeon Graphics