Sign in with
Your question

What power supply should i use for my gaming desktop

Last response: in Components
January 1, 2013 5:27:01 PM

I'm currently looking into building my own gaming desktop and i was confused on what kind of power supply i should buy. Here's the specs of the computer i'll be most likely to build:
Intel i5 3570K Quad-Core processor
ASUS Saberooth Z77 LGA1155 motherboard
G. SKill Ripjaws 8GB 1600MHZ 240 pin RAM
Seagate Bamacoda 1TB Sata hard drive
eVGA GeForce GTX 660
NZXT Phantom 410 Mid tower case
Corsair Hydro series h60
Windows 8

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 6:01:01 PM

whats the budget u have for a new ps
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2013 6:11:58 PM

Also, just throwing it out there, if this is for gaming, there are a LOT of places where you could cut costs and, through that, get a way better machine.

(The Sabertooth, for example, isn't a high end motherboard - it's a medium-low end one with "thermal armor" and a $200 higher price tag... and the thermal armor does nothing but make the board HOTTER.)

You only need to spend about $120-150 on the motherboard. You can also spend less on the case, unless there's a particular reason you want that model. I'd look for one that has front usb 3.0 ports.

You shouldn't buy any closed loop cooler like that (except perhaps for an h100i.) They break WAY easier than an air cooler does, and have no heatsink to dissipate heat when they do break... not to mention that a less expensive air cooler will cool better anyways - get a Hyper 212 EVO, and don't bother about wanting to brag that it's watercooled.

If you do all that, you should have the money to afford a 670, or at LEAST a 660ti. The 660ti is the high range of the mid-field cards, and the 670 is the low range of the high-end cards... and the only one of them worth buying. (The 670 is an amazing card.)

But basically what I'm telling you is that you should seriously upgrade your graphics card - it would even be worth getting no cooler, a locked processor, and an h77 motherboard... the lowest clocked i5 would be PLENTY for even a 660ti.

Just asking, because you listed no prices and no budget... is this a pre-built computer? If so, don't buy it.

Buying the pieces individually is going to be a LOT cheaper (Think about $4-700 less), usually gets you better warranties on the parts themselves (you've got forums like these for the tech support), and is really WAY easier than you think. It's LEGOs for adults, and takes no more than a screwdriver... and that's only used to get the case open, really.
m
l
!