Computer Turns On For A Fraction Of A Second, Then Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hello,

The other day I was just using my PC casually, listening to music, when it shut off, and ever since I've been having this problem. I try to turn on the computer, and it shuts off in a fraction of a second. All the fans and lights turn on, including the cpu fan, but then they shut off. The motherboard debug led also turns on but it shuts off too quickly to display any real number. I have tried nearly everything in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I built this computer around 6 months ago. Here is a video of what's going on exactly, just to help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYWrB6HvFik

In this video I have everything unplugged except for one stick of RAM, the cpu fan, and the 24pin motherboard connector. I also did the paper clip test on the power supply and it worked fine, so the PSU isn't COMPLETELY dead.

Please help me figure out exactly what's wrong. I just spent $300 on the Steam holiday sale and wanted to play some of my new games, haha. Thanks all.

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Not outside as I don't have the space, but the same problem happens when only the CPU, one stick of RAM, and the CPU fan are plugged in, the only cord plugged in from the power supply being the 24pin motherboard connector

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Oh, I had no idea that it was possible for a case to cause something like this. Thanks, I will try it soon. If it isn't the case, what else could be causing it?

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Alright, I will try that, thanks. I'm having a heck of a time just trying to get everything out. The haf 932 case holds in the graphics card using these plastic tabs instead of screws, and they aren't pulling back. I've already broke two of them.. maybe I'm doing something wrong. Once I can figure this out I'll get back to you on the results of the bread boarding

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Yeah haha for sure, there must be something I'm doing wrong. They are taking way too much effort to lift up, every one that I've tried has broken. I'm starting to get frustrated :lol:

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Are the tabs just supposed to pull up or..? Does anyone know? If they're just supposed to pull up, why do they keep breaking when I try? I can't believe I can't even figure out how to remove the graphics card on this thing when I just built it 6 months ago.

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Yeah, I'm doing it what it says, but these tabs are holding it in the case (not in the slot). Here is a picture to explain easier. i am pointing at the tabs I've been talking about - http://postimage.org/image/8ksf6aznl/

Thanks for your help so far by the way, really appreciate it.

it looks like maybe, the tab closest to your finger is different than the tabs on the top (not counting the broken ones of course lol). It kind of looks like the one's on the bottom possibly have a tab on the top of them that pops out somehow, OR presses-in.

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
i did end up breadboarding it, it still happened. One of my friends was kind enough to let me borrow a power supply to test with, and it worked. Now I just have to deal with RMAing the power supply. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.